Getting a tight fuel filter off

Featured Posts

Hi all

I appreciate that beyond a strap wrench and some elbow greese there may be few other tricks of the trade out there, but I have a fuel filter that will not budge and I have already bust 1 strap wrench trying to get the bugger off (it has not been changed in a long time unfortunately). It is an arse to get to also.

Are there any tips or tricks I can employ to coax it off?

Thanks

Hi all

I appreciate that beyond a strap wrench and some elbow greese there may be few other tricks of the trade out there, but I have a fuel filter that will not budge and I have already bust 1 strap wrench trying to get the bugger off (it has not been changed in a long time unfortunately). It is an arse to get to also.

Are there any tips or tricks I can employ to coax it off?

Thanks

It's often frowned upon in professional mechanics circles but sometimes the only way is to drive a big screwdriver through it (both sides) and lever it off. Access can make this difficult though sometimes.

It should only really be used as a last resort and not the usual method of removal.

What type of strap wrench are you using? The cheap rubber ones are useless - I've broken several. The one I use (when I can find it !) looks like a socket set extension with a webbing loop attached. That seems to be able to shift just about anything. There are also claw ones that tighten onto the cartridge as you unscrew it. A lot of garages use those to get at filters in difficult to access locations.

There are other types of filter wrench which mighr be a bti stronger than a strap wrench. There are chain wrenches which work in much the same way, also a style which goes under the filter and has 'fingers' which go up around the filter body, these are pretty effective.

Last resort, as stated already, is the hammer and screwdriver.

Tim

What type of strap wrench are you using? The cheap rubber ones are useless - I've broken several. The one I use (when I can find it !) looks like a socket set extension with a webbing loop attached. That seems to be able to shift just about anything. There are also claw ones that tighten onto the cartridge as you unscrew it. A lot of garages use those to get at filters in difficult to access locations.

I've broken one of those as well, but it was possibly a cheap one, I didn't buy it. Worth paying for a decent brand I think.

I use one with a chain rather then a webbing loop - seems to work fine.

One issue with strap or chain wrenches with a really tight filter is that they will tend to collapse the filter body, & the socket or whatever leverage you are using can end up at strange and awkward angles, adding to the difficulty in a confined space.

Tim

Some oil filters like on some Isuzu and other engine installations where the filter is extremely close to the engine mounting beam or something else a chain wrench will not enclose the filter or not enough to grip it firmly, only a strap wrench will work successfully on those.

I use one with a chain rather then a webbing loop - seems to work fine.

Me too: came from Halfords. The chain tightens as you turn and partly crushes the filter body. Has a nut that takes either a ring spanner round the outside or a ½" drive inside.

When you try & fail at the moment with the strap wrench, is it slipping or gripping but distorting the filter body?> If slipping, then: Clean it up as best you can, wrap some duct tape round it, then try the strap wrench again.

Or as TDH says, use the chain type.

Some filters have a 'nut' like shape at the end ie they are an octagon or dodecahedrom at the end, its a standardised size and you can get a tool with eg 3/8" square drive to fit then use a wrench. I guess its not one of these though. Also, larger diesel filters (ie on 2.4 VW T4, cos I have serviced them) have a filter with a nut on the end. I guess its not one of them either though!

If you have not done this very often before then Bizzard may well be correct about you possibly turning it the wrong way. It was very common for my students both, marine and vehicle, to try to undo the filter the wrong way. This is because the filters usually hang down and you are above them. This means that you are looking at the "back" of the thread so the filter has to be turned CLOCKWISE to undo when viewed from above. If this is what is happening don't feel silly or anything because as I said its a very common mistake.

I usually use my large pair of water pump/gland nut pliers.

Once you are sure you know which way to turn it and before you sick a screwdriver through it try putting a flat screwdriver at an angle against the turned over rim at the top of the filter. TAKE CARE NOT TO DAMAGE THE MOUNTING FLANGE, and try tapping/hitting it round.

As above,,but try putting a bin bag around the housing, & filter if poss,so both filter & drips drops straight into it when locking nut is loosened, its sometimes easier than getting a container in there somewhere & back out without spilling the contents,saves a cleanup.

Appreciate this may be difficult though.

Good luck.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

What i do if i get a very tight filter is to use an old screwdriver as a sort to a chisel and at top of filter place screwdriver on edge of filter [make sure its the edge of filter] and a few smacks with hammer will shock it and will move it around, it will be due to when fitted they did not smear seal with oil, it is important to do this for easy removal. I have had this quite a lot on all type of engines and sometimes had to take filter head and filter off fit in a clamp to remove filter, sometimes a bit at a time, can be a pig but usually work as i said using screwdriver and hammer to shock loose.

Some filters have a 'nut' like shape at the end ie they are an octagon or dodecahedrom at the end, its a standardised size and you can get a tool with eg 3/8" square drive to fit then use a wrench. I guess its not one of these though.

I changed the oil on a car a few years ago and it had one of those. It was the first time I'd seen them. It was so simple to get off I wondered why all filters aren't made like that?

Edited by blackrose

my dad got a puncture on the back of his Transit and struggled to get it off! Not wanting to admit defeat, he got a 4' scaffold pole - still no good! Heat was required! Heat and a 4' scaffold pole! Still nothing!

The shame! Had to admit defeat and ask NTS to come out! 'Bloody hell! These are tight says the tyre fitter'

'I know!' says father, just as the first nut popped, and started to come off left hand thread!