Plans To Close Wrenbury Lift Bridge To Boats Three Hours A Day

Big Dig 1991

Featured Posts

At a meeting at Wrenbury Village Hall last night the developers agent revealed plans to close Wrenbury Lift Bridge to boats from 8am - 9.30 am and from 4.30pm - 6pm. every weekday.

We were told CRT supports this and the new marina in the centre of Wrenbury

Edited by Big Dig 1991

This isn't going to help with the increased number of hire boats on the Llan, but then I guess that in part that the increased traffic is the reason for it. In particular, I can see big queues building up in the afternoon which will lead to a lot more late boat movements.

FWIW, I've never had a problem single handing through this bridge, but mine is only a half length boat, so it's easy just to tie off at the stern and let the bow sort itself out whilst I lower the bridge

so it's easy just to tie off at the stern and let the bow sort itself out whilst I lower the bridge

That works on full length boats as well. You only really need to control the stern so you can get back on the boat. The engine is there to control the rest

Richard

If the Marina was to go ahead then I think it's only fair that the bridge remains closed to allow commuters to have access at key times. It's very easy to forget when you're on your boat relaxing that life still goes on for everyone else. There probably was a time or still is in a lot of cases when we were on a tight time scale to get to work and if I lived in that area and couldn't approximately judge my commute time because of that lift bridge being constantly up I would be equally unhappy. On this occasion I think CRT are being extremely sensible and no I don't live in the area but I do commute!

Great to see CaRT supporting boaters innit.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mad.gif

Disgusted

Isle of Wight

A similar arrangement is operated at Talybont-on-Usk on the Mon & Brec although from memory, it's only half an hour morning and evening on school days which is far more reasonable, and understandable, than the proposal at Wrenbury. Personally I get really p****d off with these sorts of situations where newbies descend on an area of outstanding beauty and then find that some traditional aspect doesn't fall in line with their NIMBY lifestyle. There have been far too many instances of village church bells being muffled on a Sunday morning and cockerels bound and gagged. Perhaps a major breakdown in the bridge hole at 7.25 am?

..or to look at it another way, the bridge will be open to navigation for 153 hours out of 168 every week, which is 91% of the time. Also 100% of the time at weekends.

Seems to be a reasonable compromise.

I would basically agree with those sentiments, however.........

As you read these threads over the months there is a constant erosion of (for want of a better word) service due to the demands of shore based interests. It would appear that CRT always give in to any pressure other than that from boaters.

Where will it all end?

..or to look at it another way, the bridge will be open to navigation for 153 hours out of 168 every week, which is 91% of the time. Also 100% of the time at weekends.

Seems to be a reasonable compromise.

Not really a valid comparison. For a hire boater on a family holiday, the bridge will only be open for about 60% of it's previously available time.

Not really a valid comparison. For a hire boater on a family holiday, the bridge will only be open for about 60% of it's previously available time.

Hi,

And how many times in a day or a week are said family going to want to go through the lift bridge?

Fred.

Edited by FredW

If the Marina was to go ahead then I think it's only fair that the bridge remains closed to allow commuters to have access at key times. It's very easy to forget when you're on your boat relaxing that life still goes on for everyone else. There probably was a time or still is in a lot of cases when we were on a tight time scale to get to work and if I lived in that area and couldn't approximately judge my commute time because of that lift bridge being constantly up I would be equally unhappy. On this occasion I think CRT are being extremely sensible and no I don't live in the area but I do commute!

The bridge has been there for about 200 years! Surely the reasonable attitude would be to find out about the possible problems before moving to the area and if you can't overcome them without upsetting a lot of other interested parties, then don't move there. Go somewhere else.

Hi,

And how many times in a day or a week are said family going to want to go through the lift bridge?

Fred.

Dunno. Sit and count 'em if you like.

The bridge has been there for about 200 years!

-

But the proposed new marina hasn't. It sounds like a 'solution' to the foreseen problem of congestion in that particular area, if/when the new marina opens. I imagine CRT are supporting the new marina, and the bridge restriction that goes with it, due to the large connection fee gained from it.

Anyone have a link to the planning application for the marina?

On the continent it is absolutely normal for opening bridges in busy areas to be closed at the rush hour. Lunch times as well in some cases, and commercials live with all that OK.

Come to think of it, in some cases pleasure boats have to wai t for a commercial boat to share passage. Now that could be a problem on the Welsh! (That is tongue in cheek, Alan!)

-

Cheshire East planning site: http://planning.cheshireeast.gov.uk/ApplicationSearch.aspx

Change the search option to Description and enter "marina" in the search criteria will find this and the other marina proposed a mile or so down the canal.

Part of the problem with this bridge is that it is very slow. After you have put your key in and pressed the button to raise the bridge, nothing seems to happen. It takes ages before the bridge starts moving so people waiting wonder what is going on and operators unfamiliar with the bridge let go and start again, which starts the whole cycle over again.

Perhaps if C&RT did a proper overhaul of the hydraulics with clearer indication that something is happening then there would be less conflict.

At a meeting at Wrenbury Village Hall last night the developers agent revealed plans to close Wrenbury Lift Bridge to boats from 8am - 9.30 am and from 4.30pm - 6pm. every weekday.

We were told CRT supports this and the new marina in the centre of Wrenbury

if I lived in that area and couldn't approximately judge my commute time because of that lift bridge being constantly up I would be equally unhappy.

But if the bridge being "constantly up" is the problem, then the solution should not be a blanket ban on bridge openings for 1.5 hours twice a day. The bridge should be fitted with a timer which, within the problem hours, does not allow the bridge to open for a period of (say) 15 minutes after the previous opening. That would give sufficient time for any traffic queues which have built up to disperse, whilst not forcing boats to wait for up to an hour and a half. With a countdown timer to the next permitted opening time on the console boaters would know how long they might have to wait.

I also think it is very slow having passed through it 4 times this year. If it lifted at 2-3 times the current speed I cannot see any problem. I think even a snail could crawl across between you pushing the button and the end of the bridge being a foot above the bottom. You do get people, namely cyclists going round the barrier and across as you are pressing the button, then you get abuse from the motorists for "taking your time luv".

• 3 weeks later...

Credit where credit is due, CRT have formally objected to this development

http://doc.cheshireeast.gov.uk/NorthgatePublicDocs/07555983.pdf

Although that is in the application for the marina at Wrenbury Heath, a couple of miles down the canal. Still a valid objection though for the one proposed by the village which this thread is referring to.

I almost wonder if this application for the one in the village has been submitted to make the one at Wrenbury Heath look like a better option. Most of the objections though, especially about the bridge, would apply to both.

-

But the proposed new marina hasn't. It sounds like a 'solution' to the foreseen problem of congestion in that particular area, if/when the new marina opens. I imagine CRT are supporting the new marina, and the bridge restriction that goes with it, due to the large connection fee gained from it.

Surely the answer is to close the new marina entrance during the offending hours so they cannot add to the pre-existing traffic. That way,only the new marina suffers.

George ex nb Alton retired

• Greenie 1