Pubs that you wouldn't bother with a second visit.

Captain Fizz

Featured Posts

The Wheatsheaf in Weedon. Cliquey and just plain crap. . .

We were there last year. It was like having e beer in someone's front room. Kids having their tea in one half of the bar with kids telly on. Toys all over the floor.

In the landlady's defence, she was running the pub on her own and trying to make a living I suppose. Not easy. I don't know if it is still the same. We were made quite welcome.

The Navigation at Greensforge on the staffs & Worcs.

Got there starving hungry one evening at about 7.45 at at the bar the convo goes like this:

Me "What time do you stop doing food?".

Girl with DILLIGAF face on: "8.00pm".

Me: "Excellent, it's only 7.45pm now, can we see the menu please?

Girl with DILLIGAF face on: "No"

Me: "Errr, why not?"

Girl with DILLIGAF face on: "Chef's gone home early as there's football on the telly."

Me: "So you're not serving food till 8.00pm after all then?

Girl with DILLIGAF face on: "No."

Not a word of apology. Amazing!

Managed to eat there the next day, and both the food and the beer were as one would expect. Absolute shite. I'm still annoyed about it. Can you tell?

MtB

Many years ago we stopped at a pub near Northwich with all the usual "good food" signs etc outside. At just gone 7 we went in and ordered drinks, then asked for the bar menu. We were then told that they finish serving food at 7. I can only put it down to the possibility that much of their trade came from people on shifts at the nearly ICI works. A group of 8 people off a hire boat had followed us in had a look of stunned disbelief on their faces - southerners I expect. At least they didn't have to buy drinks first to find out. I now always ask if we are ok for a meal before ordering drinks. We had no emergency rations on the boat at that time so had a mile walk to the chippy.

I won't name the place as I think its serving times have changed these days.

Many years ago we stopped at a pub near Northwich with all the usual "good food" signs etc outside. At just gone 7 we went in and ordered drinks, then asked for the bar menu. We were then told that they finish serving food at 7. I can only put it down to the possibility that much of their trade came from people on shifts at the nearly ICI works. A group of 8 people off a hire boat had followed us in had a look of stunned disbelief on their faces - southerners I expect. At least they didn't have to buy drinks first to find out. I now always ask if we are ok for a meal before ordering drinks. We had no emergency rations on the boat at that time so had a mile walk to the chippy.

I won't name the place as I think its serving times have changed these days.

Slightly smiley_offtopic.gif

In Biggleswade many years ago there use to be a café that closed for lunch from 12 till 2!!!!!!!!!!

Went to Bridge Inn at Chirk last summer, ordered chilli con carne. Barmaid states thats the chefs special. Honestly I think hed made it with baked beans and chilli powder. Im amazed at what people will put up with. People will sit there saying how wonderful the food is and you know its catering crap delivered by General Foods Inc. I think we get the food we deserve. Why should any landlord bother when he can charge £10 for a meal that cost him £1 from the man in a van. Anyhow back to that chilli, I was itching to show him how to make a real Chilli with fresh corriander, real chillis etc but ofcourse we just payed up and wont return.

We were there last year. It was like having e beer in someone's front room. Kids having their tea in one half of the bar with kids telly on. Toys all over the floor.

In the landlady's defence, she was running the pub on her own and trying to make a living I suppose. Not easy. I don't know if it is still the same. We were made quite welcome.

It's not changed, there is a landlord as well BTW - he was there last year too. He was the one eating crisps and drinking beer behind the bar on Friday on his own.

Kids toys and empty glasses strewn across the tables.

Wine, yes, soda, no, ice, no, clean glass, no, food, no- not tonight. More expensive than the Marstons and other pub at the crossroads and more expensive than the Plume of Feathers in the other part of the village which has just re-opened after a spruce up and has a really good menu served until 9pm every night.

It's not changed, there is a landlord as well BTW - he was there last year too. He was the one eating crisps and drinking beer behind the bar on Friday on his own.

It really amazes me how some pubs stay in business. People are quick to blame the smoking ban or the recession, but I suspect many pub closures are due to incompetent disinterested landlords employing poorly trained staff and serving poor food and drink.

Alternatively, there are some thriving pubs in out-of-the-way places that really make an effort and know what they are doing.

• Greenie 2

It's a sad fact that so many proper pubs are closing and family friendly places taking over... but the reality is that the market has changed and where in the past men used to go to the pub 7 nights a week to meet their mates nowadays people tend to stay in five nights a week and go out in groups/family so need a different environment.

Food has a massive markup so its obvious that a pub that can rake in £2k-£3k a night on food is going to be a more attractive business proposition than an old fashioned local that might take £200-£300. Canalside locations are generally premium sites and will need to make more to pay their way so obviously will try to maximise their turnover by selling to the bigger market ...

...at least my local still allows us old guys table space to sip our beer in relative peace.

Unfortunately they do not allow dogs so I have a limited time there.

[quote

So you're a dog? One would not have thought so from your photo.

Last spoons I ate in was in lufffy

[quote

A where dat? Or is it a portmanteau adjective, i.e. it was lovely and fluffy?

Next time I go through Loughborough en route to Mrs. Athy's sister's family at Walton in the Wolds I'll look around and marvel at its loveliness and fluffiness.

MTB, you've brought back a boyhood memory there. When I was about ten I was sometimes a semi-willing caddy when my Dad went to play golf at a course near Sheffield. Afterwards, he and his friends would go into a nearby building with the frosted windows which you mention. Dad would emerge periodically with lemonade, crisps etc. for me. I didn't understand what happened behind those frosted windows and what took him so long. I do recall that he was always in a jovial mood when he finally emerged and that he drove his Hillman Minx home faster than usual.

Edited by Athy

Next time I go through Loughborough en route to Mrs. Athy's sister's family at Walton in the Wolds I'll look around and marvel at its loveliness and fluffiness.

You might be a bit disappointed,

BTW the far better pub than the Amber Rooms is The Swan in the Rushes over the road and further up towards the Canal basin/Travelodge.

That is where the forum xmas banter is.

You might be a bit disappointed,

Damn' right - though it does boast a steam railway. It used to boast a good record shop with some daft hippy name like "Left legged Pineapple" but that's closed down.

The worst pub food I ever had was at a canalside pub on the Mon & Brec - the sausage (yes, singular) & chips arrived in a basket, greasy chips, saucisse crematorio, no veg or dressings of any kind. Luckily I have blocked the place's name from my memory.

Ah they'll be out of business in no time then - according to a very knowledgeable forum member that's not a viable business model in today's economic climate biggrin.png

Seriously I know Wetherspoons get slated a lot on here but you get what you pay for, and in the days when our monthly internet allowance was 1gb their free wifi and cheap beer were a godsend. We don't need their wifi any more but still go for the cheap beer, and the food, whilst not gourmet, is exactly what you expect for the money you pay. In a lot of towns the youngsters go to 'spoons to meet up (ie drink lots of cheap alcohol) before they go on to a club - the people watching for us oldies can be quite entertaining.

They are, of course, mainly a town centre pub but it would be nice to take your dog in the garden area if you want a quick meal and pint and a browse. I have found that although they are a large chain and seem to deal with the masses, they still have that "local" feel about them. I have noticed that after frequenting a JDW for a few weeks, you get to see the same faces there and they, quite rightly, use it as their local. To quote "the people watching for us oldies can be quite entertaining" is also reversed to say that "us oldies watching the antics of the various stag or hen do" can also be very entertaining!!!!!

The last time we went into a pub was Spoons in Windsor - just at the back of the castle (wonder if HM slips out the back way for a quick nosh). Very nice food and a very drinkable pint.

I don't understand all those people who have to eat in a pub every night. When we are out we have ample beer and other drinks on board but the only time we go to pub is if we are meeting up with friends. In my opinion the vast majority of pubs are rip of merchants when it comes to food - and beer if it comes to that.

Dave

That must be "The King & Castle". A great pub, well used to be. I've heard it's gone a bit downhill in the last few months.

Last spoons I ate in was in lufffy

[quote

A where dat? Or is it a portmanteau adjective, i.e. it was lovely and fluffy?

Thank you very much and yes, ah herm, Rather a bad case of unacceptable English language and conjugation of words without the appropriate punctuation marks.

But I am Welsh

They are, of course, mainly a town centre pub but it would be nice to take your dog in the garden area if you want a quick meal and pint and a browse. I have found that although they are a large chain and seem to deal with the masses, they still have that "local" feel about them. I have noticed that after frequenting a JDW for a few weeks, you get to see the same faces there and they, quite rightly, use it as their local. To quote "the people watching for us oldies can be quite entertaining" is also reversed to say that "us oldies watching the antics of the various stag or hen do" can also be very entertaining!!!!!

Lol sorry - very bad grammar on my part! I'm an oldie (rapidly approaching 50) who finds people watching the youngsters very entertaining :cheers:

Lol sorry - very bad grammar on my part! I'm an oldie (rapidly approaching 50) who finds people watching the youngsters very entertaining cheers.gif

OLDIE at nearly 50. Come on Ange, you are still in your prime. Nay, not prime but just starting to enjoy life. I am 62 and a bit, but you are quite right in saying that watching the antics of the younger generation quite entertaining. rolleyes.gif

OLDIE at nearly 50. Come on Ange, you are still in your prime. Nay, not prime but just starting to enjoy life. I am 62 and a bit, but you are quite right in saying that watching the antics of the younger generation quite entertaining. rolleyes.gif

It's all relative my friend - I feel positively ancient in Wetherspoons on a Friday night :D

Wine, yes, soda, no, ice, no, clean glass, no, food, no- not tonight. More expensive than the Marstons and other pub at the crossroads and more expensive than the Plume of Feathers in the other part of the village which has just re-opened after a spruce up and has a really good menu served until 9pm every night.

cloud9.gif Errrrmm i don't think the landlord had heard of a spritzer

Another one to miss is the Hop Vine at Burscough on the L&L. Used to be very good but beer not as good, food expensive for a pub and if you stay on for a drink it gets rowdy during the last hour when the kitchen staff finish and they make every effort to get drunk asap laced with foul language. A real shame its not what the pub used to be when this sort of behaviour was not tolerated.