Pubs that you wouldn't bother with a second visit.

Captain Fizz

Featured Posts

The Boathouse in Braunston. I would go back there for a drink, it's a nice location to sit in the summer and watch the boats go by and you can moor right outside, but the food is bloody awful.

I would rather go there to eat than the HH, in fact I do.

I suppose it is down to expectations, and if you eat in "2 for 1" of "family bargain" type pubs you are hardly expecting haute cuisine, are you?

We use the Boathouse at Braunston fairly regularly, and have seldom had a duff meal, although we have had (and been reasonably warned of) longish waits at busy times. The staff are usually polite, and suitably apologetic if number of customers exceeds their ability to give really attentive service.

We did once have to use the Hungry Horse at Harlow to which LM refers, and from my memory of that food, ambience and service at the Boathouse all look pretty marvellous by comparison! I would actively avoid Hungry Horses, frankly.

My local canal side eatery is serving up food on a slab of cracked and doubtless bug infested wood, a sheet of paper separates the food from the bugs! The place seems to be well thought of and has plenty of customers in the fine weather. Its amazing to me that people will pay over the odds for average food if they think it has style.

Where?

The Dog & Doublet near Sutton Coldfield on The Birmingham and Fazeley has always been rather good when I have been there.

River Nene. We went all the way to get there and it was shut.

River Nene. We went all the way to get there and it was shut.

I find this fascinating. ... the title of the thread is "Pubs that you would't bother with a second visit"

Having named the pub but not stated where it was it potentially gives every pub in the country that shares that name a bad reputation. Then having told us which pub it was your reason for not wanting to visit again was because it was shut first time around.

I have no way of knowing how far "all the way there" is but if I were planning to travel any distance to visit a pub then I might ake a phone call to check it was open or they were serving food or whatever before I "travelled all the way there"

I would presume there was something that made you want to visit the place first time around and yet whatever that "something" was is no longer valid even though you have never went there and so how can you comment on whether it is worth visiting again or not?

A particular hotel we have stayed in twice and we are booked to stay in again next year has only one bad review on Trip advisor - from someone who never got there and was struggling to get a refund on their deposit. How anyone can review a place they have never visited beats me.

I was joking. But then so are you.

Actually I wasn't, I don't get why somebody would travel a significant distance with the specific purpose of visiting a particular establishment without checking it was going to be open when I got there.

I find this fascinating. ... the title of the thread is "Pubs that you would't bother with a second visit"

Having named the pub but not stated where it was it potentially gives every pub in the country that shares that name a bad reputation. Then having told us which pub it was your reason for not wanting to visit again was because it was shut first time around.

I have no way of knowing how far "all the way there" is but if I were planning to travel any distance to visit a pub then I might ake a phone call to check it was open or they were serving food or whatever before I "travelled all the way there"

I would presume there was something that made you want to visit the place first time around and yet whatever that "something" was is no longer valid even though you have never went there and so how can you comment on whether it is worth visiting again or not?

A particular hotel we have stayed in twice and we are booked to stay in again next year has only one bad review on Trip advisor - from someone who never got there and was struggling to get a refund on their deposit. How anyone can review a place they have never visited beats me.

I was joking. Lighten up a bit. It never occurred to me that there was another pub called that. I thought a few people would know what pub I mentioned because it was (I thought) such an uncommon name.

Actually I wasn't, I don't get why somebody would travel a significant distance with the specific purpose of visiting a particular establishment without checking it was going to be open when I got there.

Jeezus. I wish I'd never posted now.

We didn't make the main point of our trip to go there. Just thought we'd make the end of the Nene and have a pint. That's all. I thought it was funny.

• Greenie 1

Just inadvertantly given you a greenie trying to hit 'quote'.

Anyway, so given the context of the thread and it's title what do you think is funny about running down a pub you have never even been to.

You also need to Google 'dog and doublet' BTW it's not as uncommon as you might think.

I was joking. Lighten up a bit. It never occurred to me that there was another pub called that. I thought a few people would know what pub I mentioned because it was (I thought) such an uncommon name.

Jeezus. I wish I'd never posted now.

We didn't make the main point of our trip to go there. Just thought we'd make the end of the Nene and have a pint. That's all. I thought it was funny.

If you check the time of my post you will see that we cross posted when you said you were joking. Very sorry if did not understand the humour of your post but there was nothing (in my view) to suggest any humour.

Just inadvertantly given you a greenie trying to hit 'quote'.

Anyway, so given the context of the thread and it's title what do you think is funny about running down a pub you have never even been to.

You also need to Google 'dog and doublet' BTW it's not as uncommon as you might think.

Right.

I found the situation funny.

I have been there.

I haven't run anything down have I.

Are you tired or bored or something!?

Oh, and I don't need to google anything.

Edited by fudd

Right.

I found the situation funny.

I have been there.

I haven't run anything down have I.

Are you tired or bored or something!?

Oh, and I don't need to google anything.

I can't help you if you realy don't understand the context of the thread' nor if you know of a simple way to check for a not totally unique name for a pub.

My local canal side eatery is serving up food on a slab of cracked and doubtless bug infested wood, a sheet of paper separates the food from the bugs! The place seems to be well thought of and has plenty of customers in the fine weather. Its amazing to me that people will pay over the odds for average food if they think it has style.

I had posh fish and chips at the "Head of the River" in Oxford recently and it was served on a piece of slate!.I used to get upset by these pretentious things but now as long as the food is good (which it was) and reasonably priced (only just) I just regard it as a bit of fun. Had to get very easy with the vinegar though.

...............Dave

isn't that a Hungry Horse pub?

Huge soulless place with laminated menus offering mostly orange food?

What were you expecting?

Yes, that's where we had the orange pizza. biggrin.png

I refer to the Hungry Horse as "Mcdonalds with beer" and if you accept that before you go in, your expectations will not be disappointed. Hungry Horse is Marsdens, as is The Boat House, and there are a fair number of similarities between the two.

The Boat House is ok for me, as long as you get that it is mass produced pub food that can be hit or miss. The Hungry Horse is not great though, some of the groups of kids there in the summer would make Lord of the Flies look civilised. At one point the pub had signs up on the tills after complaints saying something like "the moored boats are not part of the pub or play area, they are private property. Please respect the boaters by keeping your children off the boats."

About a week later it was re-worded somewhat to say something like "the boats are private property and not part of the playground, keep your kids off them as we cannot be held responsible for the actions of the owners of the boats if you piss about with them."

The real ale is too cold and never very good either... But there are no other pubs along the cut until Braunston, so in some ways, you're a captive audience if you want to stop in Hillmorton!

You also have to love the happy coincidence that caused the Hungry Horse to introduce a new menu with a "Horse beefburger special" deal on it, around a week before the horsemeat in burgers scandal broke...

Edited by Starcoaster

I can't help you if you realy don't understand the context of the thread' nor if you know of a simple way to check for a not totally unique name for a pub.

"PUBS THAT YOU WOULDN'T BOTHER WITH A SECOND VISIT". Simples. Again. I thought it was amusing. I'm out.

You should be used to him by now...he only frequents pubs with "Bridge" in the name.

Ah the trolling thing again...as I said last time you have a basic misunderstanding of the term.

Edited by The Dog House

Yes the trolling thing again, please stop, it's tiresome.

Really?

How strange.

Pointing out that somebody may be unjustifiably harming a business is trolling now??

I'll leave you to it.