instruction for new boat owners

Ca Jon

Featured Posts

Hi there. we are in the process of buying a beautiful trad boat, with a lister hb3 engine, boatmans cabin, it is just what we have been looking for!

so, 60 feet of boat is sat in Whilton marina near Daventry. we are waiting for the survey to go ahead, then we want to come down to leighton buzzard. we dont have any experience and so are looking for someone to spend the first day with us. and give us guidance.

we intend to live on the boat, and will no doubt make plenty of mistakes as we learn..so if anyone can help us, or point us in the right direction, we would be grateful..Thanks

I'd go and have a wander round the marina, see who is hanging around there, tell them you're the new owner and could do with a bit of hands on experience and I suspect you'll be amazed at the amount of help you get offered. All most people who like boats want to do is tell other people about how much they like boats!

Only thing to remember is that about 90% of what yuo get told will be well-meaning rubbish and needs to be filtered through your own common sense and rapidly growing experience.

Most important things? Pointy end goes first and you drive on the right! Second most important thing? People who have been boating for 30 years make mistakes too. It's not just you...

I'd go and have a wander round the marina, see who is hanging around there, tell them you're the new owner and could do with a bit of hands on experience and I suspect you'll be amazed at the amount of help you get offered. All most people who like boats want to do is tell other people about how much they like boats!

Only thing to remember is that about 90% of what yuo get told will be well-meaning rubbish and needs to be filtered through your own common sense and rapidly growing experience.

Most important things? Pointy end goes first and you drive on the right! Second most important thing? People who have been boating for 30 years make mistakes too. It's not just you...

Not quite 100% correct.

You drive in the middle under most/normal circumstances but pass other boats coming the other way on the right......

Edited by The Dog House

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase.

Are you looking for technical advice on the boat in question or boat handling in general? If its the former then Whilton Marine should be able to help, or at least point you in the right direction of someone who can.

It would be very helpful to be present when your new pride and joy is surveyed. The surveyor will be able to point out salient features during the inspection.

If its general boat handling that you would like help with then there are a number of training schools who can give suitable instruction to RYA standards, either as a helmsmans course or competent crew. Willow Wren training in Rugby are quite close. I am sure there are others.

Whilst you are having the boat survey done it would be worth having a new BSS (Boat Safety Scheme) certificate issued. Your boat may well have one anyway, as they last for four years, but most surveyors will issue a new one free of charge as part of the survey report.

Ken

You could do a lot worse than spend £12:50 with Amazon to purchase this book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/RYA-Inland-Waterways-Handbook-2nd/dp/1906435340/ref=la_B005VHMCKS_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1382184761&sr=1-1). It won't give you any practical experience but it seems as if it has received some good reviews and to come into boat ownership with at least the theoretical experience of reading this book (and it won't have the RYA 'endorsement' unless it is good) won't do you any harm at all.

I live in Stoke Bruerne by the top lock. They will be the first locks you come to (you'll have the challenge of Blisworth Tunnel before that but it is, in my opinion, nothing to be frightened of - it's just a different experience). I do have an expired RYA Inland Waterways Instructor ticket so if you can let me know (through the forum) when you might be passing through Stoke Bruerne and the name of your boat (assuming the purchase goes according to plan) I'd be happy to see you through the Stoke Bruerne flight of locks provided timings work for both of us. Once you have done the seven locks here you will have, I hope, a good idea of how to handle the boat in the locks and the remaining locks should be 'easy'.

The lock free pound down to Stoke Bruerne will enable you to get a feel for the boat in peace and quiet which I always think is helpful.

Edited by Leo No2

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I am truly touched by all of your helpful comments and advice..Leo no2, I will definately let you know as soon as we are done with the survey..should be a couple of weeks..Thanks again

By the way the boat is called Tripos..really hope to be with you guys soon

Not quite 100% correct.

You drive in the middle under most/normal circumstances but pass other boats coming the other way on the right......

I wish more folks would take note of the above.

So many people (including SWMBO) dive to the right as soon as they see a boat approaching with the result that we get pushed over, usually onto the mud.

Steer dead ahead and only incline to the right when you see the whites of their eyes,

They should do the same.

If so you both pass comfortably - AND cause minimum disturbance to other boats moored in the vicinity

Hear, hear!!

I only wish that more boaters would employ this technique when passing, it would save any amount of groundings/scratched paintwork. Steering a relatively deep draughted boat it's what I do and I'm mystified by those who move over too far, too soon often ending up stuck or bushed, especially when I'm blamed for the situation. On more than one occasion I've had to hold back as a stuck craft swings across the cut struggling to get free!

Can I also point out that canal boats are steered, not driven or helmed...at least to this grumpy old git!!

Cheers

Dave

If you're going to do a day out for training, you may as well go for the proper RYA Helmsman qualification. It will cost a bit more, but this is explained by the RYA "admin" and is worth it for the qualification. The course itself covers the basics (driving, up/down locks, mooring, winding, basic knots) so there's plenty of scope for the instructor to use the other time available to tailor the course to your requirements.

I wish more folks would take note of the above.

So many people (including SWMBO) dive to the right as soon as they see a boat approaching with the result that we get pushed over, usually onto the mud.

Steer dead ahead and only incline to the right when you see the whites of their eyes,

They should do the same.

If so you both pass comfortably - AND cause minimum disturbance to other boats moored in the vicinity

Absolutely right! Just to elaborate a little, the reason for this principally is that the sooner you move over to the right the more chance that your stern will suck onto the mud, causing your bow to swing into the course of the oncoming boat with consequent risk of collision. If you stay in deep water (i.e. usually in the middle) until the last moment then this minimises the risk. So, as you meet the other boat, you incline to the right as said, then as your bow passes the other's you push your stern over a little. As you pass the suction from the other boat will pull your bow nicely back towards the centre of the cut.

I always used to use exactly the same phrase, viz. wait until you see the whites of their eyes!

Of course this could be sheer terror in their eyes, and some would accuse you of hogging the channel, but they would just be showing their ignorance.

The fact that you push your stern over at the last moment also tends to cancel out any interaction (suction between the hulls) if you try to pass straight and parallel.

I can't imagine that a day's instruction could give sufficient competence for a ticket. Years ago, Gail and I did a sailing holiday in the Ionian on a "Villa/Flotilla" basis, 4 days training in the first week then a 5 day flotilla in the second. Although I've had many many years of canal related boating, salt water sailing was a first for us both. The instruction was excellent and we were awarded RYA Competent Crew tickets......the flotilla experience wasn't a line astern thing behind the lead boat, more a case of morning briefing, when the lead professional crew gave us our destination for that evening, along with stopping places en route. We had a great time in the main, until we left an open sea passage too late and hit choppy seas in the late afternoon, a far cry from what we had experienced before....heeled over in a 6' swell, the man overboard we had rehearsed in a calm sea would have been next to impossible in those conditions. Fine for experienced sailors, I'm sure, but we were suddenly frighteningly aware of the limit of our competence. A snagged furling line, making reefing impossible, did nothing to help. The headland took ages to reach and we were so relieved to be in the lee, safe again. I've a most healthy respect for lumpy water from then on.

Several years ago I was joined on Resolute by someone with a Boatmaster's ticket, they offered to relieve me on the footboard while I made a meal. It was obvious from moments in that they were attempting to steer a parallel course to the towpath, regardless of where the channel was. I commented on the hard work being made of the job, only to be told that much of the course was theoretical.....thank God I learned with tiller in hand in the old days, but I can still execute a cock up, usually when plenty of others are watching!

Cheers

Dave

If you're going to do a day out for training, you may as well go for the proper RYA Helmsman qualification. It will cost a bit more, but this is explained by the RYA "admin" and is worth it for the qualification. The course itself covers the basics (driving, up/down locks, mooring, winding, basic knots) so there's plenty of scope for the instructor to use the other time available to tailor the course to your requirements.

What advantage does the qualification give you? I have one in the draw that I have had for a few years now and never thought of a use for it. Mind you I use some of the knowledge I picked up.

You could do a lot worse than spend £12:50 with Amazon to purchase this book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/RYA-Inland-Waterways-Handbook-2nd/dp/1906435340/ref=la_B005VHMCKS_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1382184761&sr=1-1). It won't give you any practical experience but it seems as if it has received some good reviews and to come into boat ownership with at least the theoretical experience of reading this book (and it won't have the RYA 'endorsement' unless it is good) won't do you any harm at all.

I live in Stoke Bruerne by the top lock. They will be the first locks you come to (you'll have the challenge of Blisworth Tunnel before that but it is, in my opinion, nothing to be frightened of - it's just a different experience). I do have an expired RYA Inland Waterways Instructor ticket so if you can let me know (through the forum) when you might be passing through Stoke Bruerne and the name of your boat (assuming the purchase goes according to plan) I'd be happy to see you through the Stoke Bruerne flight of locks provided timings work for both of us. Once you have done the seven locks here you will have, I hope, a good idea of how to handle the boat in the locks and the remaining locks should be 'easy'.

The lock free pound down to Stoke Bruerne will enable you to get a feel for the boat in peace and quiet which I always think is helpful.

a bit cheaper here for inland waterways book http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rya-Inland-Waterways-Handbook-Newman-Andrew-9781906435349-Book-/370896634352?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item565b2981f0

RYA Inland Helmsman qualification is a route towards MCA Boatmaster licence. Also officially recognised for whatever acronym the international qualification needed on some continental waterways is.

A one day course such as an inland Waterways Helmsman Certificate does not and cannot teach experience. It is a start point and in that sense is very useful to give confidence, but it isn't a qualification in the true sense. It is a certificate of attendance and no more.

Howard

Hear, hear!!

I only wish that more boaters would employ this technique when passing, it would save any amount of groundings/scratched paintwork. Steering a relatively deep draughted boat it's what I do and I'm mystified by those who move over too far, too soon often ending up stuck or bushed, especially when I'm blamed for the situation. On more than one occasion I've had to hold back as a stuck craft swings across the cut struggling to get free!

Can I also point out that canal boats are steered, not driven or helmed...at least to this grumpy old git!!

Cheers

Dave

That's really interesting Dave. I thought all boats had a helm and hence were helmed. I agree I don't like "driving" or "parking" but why not "helming"?

Nick

Ok no worries, do a cheaper course not leading to any recognised qualification then. It was only a suggestion, after all......

No it was just that I was worried that I was missing out on something, I have the ICC to go with it.

I also have a windsurfing certificate but that's not a lot of use ether .

Nick

For me, it's historic usage, I've always heard the term since I began in the 60s. Helming is a term used by yachtsmen and inland boats on canals often had non nautical terms used by boatmen. In a completely changed world I suppose it doesn't matter, but I came to the cut attracted by the traditional aspects of boats and I still lean that way. As you probably know, I work in the boating business as a signwriter and boat decorator, mostly in the old fashioned end of the business,where I'm happy to remain.

As I said, I've always been attracted to the old ways, which is why my back cabin and engine room are awash with brass,lace plates etc., with decoration where it should be. Most newer boaters are complimentary, a few mystified at the amount of work required to keep things looking good, but praise from a handful of ex boaters makes it all worthwhile! The current issue of Waterways World carries a shot of Resolute in Graham Booths article on painting. That may explain it better than I can.

Cheers

Dave

RYA Inland Helmsman qualification is a route towards MCA Boatmaster licence. Also officially recognised for whatever acronym the international qualification needed on some continental waterways is.

Hi Paul

The RYA Inland helmsmans course is of no use whatsoever with regard MCA boatmasters licence , they are totaly different and unconnected. The Helmsmans course just means you turned up !!. The boatmaster qualification is much more involved and knowledge of many more things other than driving the boat has to be extensive. Whilst I am not knocking the Helmsmans course it has no use in a proffesional environment.

Tim