Yet another Mobile Phone topic! Three.

Theo

Featured Posts

I was intending to send this to Three mobile as some sort of protest. I should add that my basic package costs a bit under £10/month with 600mins of call time and 500MB broadband.

"This is to do with the Add On specs. I will take some time to explain the situation and await a response from the upgrade manager. (I was told that she would phone me by 6pm this evening but she hasn't)

My need is as follows:

1. I wish to use my handset to access the internet from time to time. I have never exceeded the limit set.

2. I Wish to use my handset as a modem so that I can use the Internet on my computer. The amount of data that I require for this will exceed the normal package allowance.

To allow point 2. I have bought a tethering allowance. I used this for a day or two and was soon texted a warning that further use would exceed my package allowance and would be charged for. I examined my allowance page and discovered that all the data that I had been using on the computer was being taken from my package allowance. This seemed wrong.

I was advised today that this is what should happen and only after all the package allowance has been used does the tethering allowance start being used. This means that before I start using the tethering allowance I will have used all the handset allowance and will be charged for anything that I use on the handset even though I have plenty of tethering allowance left.

This seems a nonsense of sufficient magnitude to think that it can't be true.

What are the rest of you using for your BB access and how much are you paying and can you give it up without penalty when you don't need it any more?

I used to use Three Mobile's broadband Lite add on. That allowed me to bluetooth the data from the phone to the laptop and I only paid pro rata for the days that I needed it.

Nick

• The One Plan £15 a month Sim only
  • All-you-can-eat data
  • 2000 minutes
  • 5000 texts
  • 5000 Three-to-Three minutes

Free 4G when it comes in and tethering is fine.

+1 I've got one in my phone, and my wife has one in her phone. On the boat, I'm about to watch The Americas Cup on a live YouTube feed to my laptop, which is then fed by HDMI to my TV - quite amazing for £15 per month!

+1 for the Three PAYG idea. One thing to be careful, if you get the PAYG set-up in a three shop they may very usefully offer the option of an automatic top-up of £15 every month to help you not forget to top-up. This turns it into a rolling one-month contract and they can block tethering this way. Or at least this was the case last year.

I have a HTC Desire, it has a nice little wifi hot spot option on it, i turn this on and can connect any wireless device to the phone. I use a PAYG sim using the £15 for 30 days bundle with unlimited internet.

No need for tethering or having to work a way round it.

I am sure there are a lot more phones out there that can provide this option, plus you can pick up these phones on ebay cheap enough and just use it for the wifi option, maybe stick it to the wall near a window and connect a charger and forget about it.

Then i shall continue to break the terms of my agreement....

Three do have systems in place to pick up if you are tethering contrary to the terms of your agreement.

Some people report they get away with it though and some report they get away with it for a while and then get shut down until they stop doing it.

The lady in the Three shop did try to explain to me how they do it but it all got a bit 'geeky' for me to understand and explain on here.

They also have systems to detect if somebody is using a SIM intended for phone use is being used in a dongle. This is to prevent a SIM with an unlimied (phone) internet allowance being abused by use in a dongle.

I have a HTC Desire, it has a nice little wifi hot spot option on it, i turn this on and can connect any wireless device to the phone. I use a PAYG sim using the £15 for 30 days bundle with unlimited internet.

No need for tethering or having to work a way round it.

I am sure there are a lot more phones out there that can provide this option, plus you can pick up these phones on ebay cheap enough and just use it for the wifi option, maybe stick it to the wall near a window and connect a charger and forget about it.

I suspect you're not using enough data to for 3 to detect tethering, I think amount of data and how quickly it is used can tell them.

If I may just ask a question.

i am going to make the plunge to buy a wifi/mifi thingymagig.

i see ebay has many of the Huawui 5332's for sale. They look good and seen to be popular. i intend to go on the £ One Plan at £15/18 a month.

is this suitable or is there a newer edition?

Martyn

If I may just ask a question.

i am going to make the plunge to buy a wifi/mifi thingymagig.

i see ebay has many of the Huawui 5332's for sale. They look good and seen to be popular. i intend to go on the £ One Plan at £15/18 a month.

is this suitable or is there a newer edition?

Martyn

The big advantage of that model is that it will accept an external aerial - so it is the one I would go for. I think newer ones exist but they don't necessarily accept an aerial lead - which is essential I would say on a steel narrowboat.

The big advantage of that model is that it will accept an external aerial - so it is the one I would go for. I think newer ones exist but they don't necessarily accept an aerial lead - which is essential I would say on a steel narrowboat.

Thanks martin.

I have sent a PM.

Martyn

The bit about MAC address inspection rings a bell from the conversation I had.

And I believe totally wrong. The only MAC address available to be inspected would be the one on your phone that connects to the mobile network.

Edited by Robbo

And I believe totally wrong. The only MAC address available to be inspected would be the one on your phone that connects to the mobile network.

She could have been bulling me, besides she had a lovely smile.......