What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

How was the slide rectified?

The owner of Grantham's Bridge, where the boat was painted, got in touch after reading the other thread and said as I was a valued customer of theirs he would get the slide repainted FOC.

I could not have asked for more. This to me is brilliant customer service especially as the paint job is now 5 years old and the damage was not the fault of the workshop.

See also post #26 this thread. http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=72102&page=2#entry1455968

Edited by Ray T

I might have solved the mystery. The cause of these mysterious paint pimples might be due to ''spluttering painters'', spluttering painters with gaps in their front toofies and who over salivinate and spray everything before them with almost invisible spit, especially if people keep talking to em whilst panting. Yer know folks, yer must have conversed with someone who sprays spit in this fashion and you have stand back from em, out of range like?

The answer might be to tell a spitting painter to keep their gobs shut or gag the devils and instruct them not to talk to anyone. closedeyes.gif

Yesterday we replaced our 12v cigarette lighter sockets with new usb sockets.

We had been using adapters but as pretty much everything we charge is now a usb connection it made sense to swap the sockets to usb.

We still have a double socket which has a usb and a cigarette lighter socket to fit in the saloon as the TV has the cigarette lighter socket attachment.

DSC_0116.jpg

Un-fettled my slide today.

15337714894_53abb2f07c_c.jpgDSCF2018

L

Hi All

Just wondering about best method to cover the hatch, when moored for any length of time ( whilst still on board) please?

Ray's cover reminded me!

Heavy rain plus condensation means water dripping off the underside of the hatch onto the engine room floor. Is there a solution other than a pram cover, which I don't want please?

Cheers

Sas

Sas, has the underside of your slide a liner? Ours has a wooden insert and we get no condensation at all.

Some boats in "our" marina have covers over the slide and back doors. These are held on with press studs so are easily removed should needs be.

Make sure no ventilation grills are covered though.

Edited by Ray T

Cheers Ray,

Hatch slide doesn't have anything underneath. Did you make yours or have it made?

Cover for hatch and doors is an option but what about " escape"?! I suppose you could just burst through if it was only held with poppers?!

Sas

Yesterday we replaced our 12v cigarette lighter sockets with new usb sockets.

We had been using adapters but as pretty much everything we charge is now a usb connection it made sense to swap the sockets to usb.

We still have a double socket which has a usb and a cigarette lighter socket to fit in the saloon as the TV has the cigarette lighter socket attachment. DSC_0116.jpg

Where did you get the USB sockets from as I've been thinking of replacing a couple of cigarette lighter sockets...?

I really like the wood you have used for the table and shelf, Naughty Cal, what is it please.? Looks really smart.

It's Teak.

Both supplied by Marine Teak. Excellent service from the guys. They used NC to make the patterns and now sell them off the shelf.

Where did you get the USB sockets from as I've been thinking of replacing a couple of cigarette lighter sockets...?

Blue sea do them too....more expensive but I like blue sea quality....their stuff is well designed....they are also going to do the usb outlets in White from early next year.

Cheers

Gareth

Today's job was installing some new Led cockpit lighting. Sounds about easy enough task until you start trying to get the wires where you need them. Much swearing and grazed arms later and we have all ten lights in my place and working with the remote control. Just a few bits of sealing to do next time.

IMG_82423571528688.jpeg

IMG_82429622407697.jpeg

DSC_0125_1.jpg

IMG_82677449440673.jpeg

Hey Rachael, I'm loving the lights,I fitted Blue LED spotlights on our previous boat,along the side decks and the stern deck, used to light up a huge expanse of water making it easy to find the boat in the dark and to moor the tender when returning from the pub. Only draw milliamps too. I have fitted one on my fore deck and one on the aft deck on our NB, I think they are great.

Phil

Don't think we will lose NC in a crowd now :)

The remote control works from a much better range then suggested as well. Been for a walk along the towpath with it.

We also found that the heating pipe for the cockpit vent had come adrift. Put it back on and the heating difference is amazing. That could have been off since we bought the boat!

• 2 weeks later...

Considering we had not planned to get much done on the boat on Saturday it was quite a productive day.

Liam drained the oil from the leg again and as there was still a fair amount of water refilled it again with some fresh oil to flush it through.

Then he sealed in the new led lights to ensure a watertight fir paying particular attention to the lights under the transom which will be prone to getting wet.

Next up was fitting the extra USB socket in the cockpit. He had already routed the wiring so it was a simple case of drilling the hole and connecting it up. No more arguing about who is charging phones up now!

DSC_0134.jpg

One of the LED lights in the cabin had started to play up and flicker so we swapped that for a spare one we had which now works.

Then Liam delved into the bilges of the boat to change the shower waste hose. We suspect this has been leaking for some time but we had blamed it on the shower sump and pump not working right. We changed those last year but have still had a leak. Eventually getting around to changing it we found a nice big split in the pipe. Physically changing the pipe wasnt a difficult job but finding the right pipe was. We raided the shed at Burton Waters a few times before the chap on the boat next to us found a small piece just big enough in his van rolleyes.gif

DSC_0138.jpg

And lastly Liam took off the bathing ladder cover. This had started to become spongy over the last couple of years and now we know why. The marine ply inner is completely sodden and rotten. So Liam has taken it to work where he will remove the rotten wood and replace it with new, glass it into place and apply new flow coat to the underside before repairing the cracked gel coat.

DSC_0135.jpg

Considering we only went to check on the heaters I dont think that was a bad days work.

• 3 weeks later...

As Christmas is now over and done with for another year it is time to crack on with work on the boat and get it ready to relaunch.

This weeks job for Liam i fixing that rotten ladder cover.

Firstly he took out the rotten ply inner core leaving just the gelcoat shell and then that was glassed up with some extra matting.

PART_1420707322204_mms_img11066712971.jp

And then some new marine ply strengtheners have been added.

PART_1420706942565_mms_img15314644261.jp

Today the whole lot is being coated with yet more matting and resin and then early next week it will be ready for a coat or two of flow coat. Then there is a cosmetic repair to do in the gel coat on the outer lip of the lid. In theory it will be ready to refit to the boat next weekend. Which will be good as getting on and off the boat with it missing is a bit difficult to say the least.