VHF radio licence

Ssscrudddy

Featured Posts

I think an EDIT may have saved you there!

This will probably not impress you then!

(Don't know any more - its what a bit og Googling just turned up...)

Dead right!

One of the problems is that the course has to include certain Continental systems like ACIS that are irrelevant to the UK. As a consequence, they are either covered at length, which is a complete waste of time, or skimmed over, which seems even more pointless.

A Leisure boaters' version of the certificate, telling you the etiquette and how to issue a Mayday or Pan call would take very little time and would be no less useful, because you will soon forget the bits you don't need and will never use.

.... I'd dispute the claim you can "learn all you need to know in 15 minutes", but it is certainly true that most of what you are taiught and tested on over the day you will never need to use on most of our inland navigations.

It's over thirty years since I got my VHF Operator's licence and, in those days, the "course" was completed in a single morning with the exam in the adternoon. To pass though you would have already needed to be up to speed with the phonetic alphabet. The "exam" entailed being able to switch on the set, adjust the volume and squelch, and broadcast a mayday.

Has it changed much?

It's over thirty years since I got my VHF Operator's licence and, in those days, the "course" was completed in a single morning with the exam in the adternoon. To pass though you would have already needed to be up to speed with the phonetic alphabet. The "exam" entailed being able to switch on the set, adjust the volume and squelch, and broadcast a mayday.

Has it changed much?

still the same except with the addition of DSC instruction

Good to hear Roger is still boating!

Howard

Who is Roger though?

He seems to spend a lot of time on the Trent.

Has it changed much?

You still need to learn the phonetic alphabet.

Have only had to use it once since at Ocean Lock. The lockie on that day decided to be a knob and insisted all boats waiting outside the lock had to relay their boat names to him phonetically as we waited for the commercial to clear the lock and enter the river. Luckily we know ours but as you can well imagine it was a mockery of a sham with some of the crewslaugh.png

One learns about use of "over", "out" etc then stands out like a sore thumb when you are rigorouslu trying to do allthat but those who have used VHF on a daily basosbasis for yrarsyears seldom bother!

Even London VTS operators seem fairly lax on occasions.

still the same except with the addition of DSC instruction

Yes, this is my original course book (64 pages, no pictures) compared to the one I got when I retook the course a few years ago (95 pages with loads of pretty pictures, ads and a few blank "notes" sheets at the back) so there isn't a great deal of new content.

EPSON001_zpse0f9908f.jpg

That said I found redoing the course as a refresher (after years in the ditch away from lumpy water and VHF) very useful and worth the £65 it cost me even though I was under no obligation to do so as the certificate is valid for life.

Edited by carlt

Has it changed much?

You got off lightly

Well I know the phonetic alphabet & I've had training for police radios (over 10 years ago). So according to that I need to do the course while it's £100 instead of £200 banghead.gif

They use a different one, or should I say they did

Good to hear Roger is still boating!

Howard

Worked with a chap and we called him Roger Rat because at the end over everything you said to him he replied "Roger That"

I have booked on a course with the trainer that the above use, Vic Stuthridge of 2nd Meridian Training (vic@2ndmeridian.org.uk). Of course no idea how good it will be yet, but the date worked, 23 Nov, and it is in Coventry. It is £65 + 30 if anyone else is interested. Their one at the end of Oct is full, so the November one may be their last one under the current regeime

Google Ray Cullis, sterling fellow based in Nottingham I think.

I was with Ray today and he assures me that he has DEFINATELY retired this time. He does retire quite often but I think he realy has after our conversation today.

Tim