NB Fornax GUCCC

Nick p

Featured Posts

I can handle a bad back

That's what I said until I was stood at the hot wet end of a thirty foot lump of oak and the back and shoulder went at the same time with nobody there to take it off me.

Strictly 3/4" thick mahogany planks from now on (he says after making tentative enquiries about another full length wooden motor).

If its Johns yard at the Ham it is before the early eighties as by then there was a large concrete wall which was part of the flood defenses. I seem to remember aussie John built a steel yacht perched on top of the wall. I recently visited the Ham but could not work out where the yard was as it had changed so much. I still wonder what happened to him. I last saw him in Bristol where he was rebuilding a German yacht with stainless steel knees and teak planks cut from huge baulks which had been salvaged from the bottom of the Bristol channel

Carl

Is that when Geoff had it or Dave? (it's got Dave's name on the cabin)

That was in Little Venice for the New Year 'do' after the Christmas 'do' at the Shovel. I can't place the year precisely, but around 1982/3, or '83/4. We'd come of the Thames in late '82 after buying YARMOUTH, so that was either our first or second Christmas/New Year gathering. I feel it must have been with Dave then, but might be wrong - never was much good at remembering who had what!

Who was Geoff? Was he before or after Dave?

I always thought Dave had Otter after B&B, rather than before. I definitely recall Dave being in Aylesbury basin, on his own with Otter in the early 80's. At the time I think he moored up the Chess at Ricky. His days with B&B were 73-80 according to canalchef of this patch.

N

My recollection is the same as BEngo's. I too thought Dave had OTTER after BADSEY & BARNES. I certainly remember Dave and Jill together with B & B when we first came onto the cut around Oct. 1982. Think our first Christmas 'do' was at the then 'Lock & Quay', Bulbourne, and I seem to recall it was later we heard that Dave had bought OTTER which was kept on the Chess. But if Geoff had OTTER prior to Dave, maybe it went back to Dave after B & B were sold.

Just goes to show I was unsure of who had what back then, and time doesn't help such a memory!

• 2 years later...

Thats the ad i saw a while back but couldnt get hold of the guy. Ive sence put in the tunnel and the boat was still there end of jan 2016.

Its really pritty looking boat and its on my short list but cant find out if its still up for sale.

As the add says sale price to be agreed i have no idea if its in my buying budget there is plenty for repairs but i cant get away with to much to buy the boat.