Leaping lock gates

billS

Featured Posts

He could just as easily have broken his back falling down the stairs or, as my father did, in a road accident.

The fact that someone has suffered horrific injuries as a result of doing something, is not a reason to not do it.

The point I was making is that taking unneccessary risks can end up in disaster . It will not happen all the time , but it just has to happen once . It's all about managing risk , leaping around on a boat is high risk , walking down some stairs , is not .

Despite being tall with long legs I don't step across any lock gates - simply because I don't feel confident enough. I know I could but when the moment arrives I decide to walk round. My choice.

My hubby, on the other hand, is much more confident and steps across narrow lock gates. He doesn't leap across them - that would be silly, he makes his own risk assessment and confidently steps across what is quite a short gap with good hand holds. His choice.

What really bugs me is when people condemn other people's choices because they differ from their own. Risks happen everywhere in life - if you were really averse to risk you'd never get in a car again because that is statistically the most risky thing you'll ever do.

Going back to the topic title I just checked with Dave whether he'd attempt to jump across a wide lock gate. The "NO" was very emphatic.

Are the ones in Chester the same or is it my imagination/memory playing tricks.

Yes, the steel gates in the Chester staircase have hand/foot holds cut in them. When I am in the empty chamber looking up at the gates towering above me, I often wonder just how many times they have been used in anger.

George ex nb Alton retired

I have been stepping across the gap on narrow lock bottom gates for 35 years .I am always carefull to test my footing and tuck my windlass in my belt so I have both hands available. Last year on one of the Audlem flight my foot slipped and I ended up hanging from the rail. I bashed my knee on the footboard as I came down. It all happened very quickly .I shall be walking round in future.

Very sensible. Trying to emulate the working boaters of yesterday is unnecessary and can damage the body and infrastructure today.

well i'm only 5' 2" and i step across lock gates and will carry on doing so till i'm too old to so ner tongue.png .

Good for you! I'm 5' 10" and baulk every time - it's all about confidence.

You carry on girl - I'm envious

As part of a contract, another chap and I had to measure up a lot of rooftops in the City and Canary Wharf. There were two 20 odd storey building we had to do one day that were identical and about 5 ot 6 feet apart with 6" parapet walls where the rest of the roof was deep loose pebbles. While it's true I could have easily jumped across I went down and back up the other building while my mate jumped across. I think he did it to annoy me as he used to also stand on the parapet walls with his back to the drop to make his notes. Like he would say "I don't normally fall over when I'm just standing there writing notes so why would I fall off the building?"

I think we all perceive risk differently. Some enjoy the adrenalin rush and some avoid it.

Edited by boathunter

Yes, the steel gates in the Chester staircase have hand/foot holds cut in them. When I am in the empty chamber looking up at the gates towering above me, I often wonder just how many times they have been used in anger.

George ex nb Alton retired

Ta It was several years ago

I think everyone has the right to do what they want , and as in my past I've jumped out of planes , scuba dived , whitewater rafted and persued other dangerous activities not governed by an organisation that has done all the risk assessments , I cannot be hypocritical now and say "don't do as I've done , do as I say " . However , and here is putting oil on the fire as every post on canal world needs , some flames to warm up our now slightly chilly mornings , what happens if you fall and injure yourself . Certainly you get hurt , your fault , then an ambulance turns up , you're taken to hospital where thousands of pounds are spent repairing you and possibly are continued to be spent on you whilst you sit in your wheelchair playing XBox .

Most of my risky behaviour was done in a country where you have to pay , out of your own pocket , for your healthcare , true it didn't stop me then , but thinking about it now if one thing had gone wrong , and I didn't have insurance , I would be screwed . We sit pretty because of our wonderful NHS , sometimes it's a little rough around the edges but it's there . You get in a car crash they search your pockets for ID , not a credit card .

... if you were really averse to risk you'd never get in a car again because that is statistically the most risky thing you'll ever do.

Going to have to disagree with you there. I've got in cars loads of times, never a scratch. Well, apart from the time I caught my finger in the door. I got married just the once. Ka-blooie! Utter carnage.

I've just realised that there are some circumstances in which I would leap a lock gate. :)

I got married just the once. Ka-blooie! Utter carnage.

When I married my first wife I was so ecstatic I could have eaten her. After the first six months I wished that I had!

Edited by Doorman

However , and here is putting oil on the fire as every post on canal world needs , some flames to warm up our now slightly chilly mornings , what happens if you fall and injure yourself . Certainly you get hurt , your fault , then an ambulance turns up , you're taken to hospital where thousands of pounds are spent repairing you and possibly are continued to be spent on you whilst you sit in your wheelchair playing XBox .

Are you sure you have wrapped yourself in enough cotton wool? Can't be too careful

Richard

well i'm only 5' 2" and i step across lock gates and will carry on doing so till i'm too old to so ner tongue.png .

Please can you give me lessons!

I know it is possible; I have done it exactly once. Can't count the number of times I've intended to do it then lost my nerve at the last minute. There are so many things we could do, and do perfectly safely, if we could just muster the confidence.

I want to work locks as efficiently as possibly partly for the pleasure of doing it well, and partly so as not to hold others up unnecessarily.

Edited by Chertsey

One little tip I've picked up - if you are carrying the windlass, but don't have one of them neat little windlass holsters; and are wearing jeans, you can tuck the handle into a belt loop at the back of your jeans and it stays put and out the way for stepping over lock gates, climbing ladders, getting onto boat, etc. I tend to need to move it for pushing gates closed though.

As part of a contract, another chap and I had to measure up a lot of rooftops in the City and Canary Wharf. There were two 20 odd storey building we had to do one day that were identical and about 5 ot 6 feet apart with 6" parapet walls where the rest of the roof was deep loose pebbles. While it's true I could have easily jumped across I went down and back up the other building while my mate jumped across. I think he did it to annoy me as he used to also stand on the parapet walls with his back to the drop to make his notes. Like he would say "I don't normally fall over when I'm just standing there writing notes so why would I fall off the building?"

Lawd have mercy. My legs have gone jelloid just reading that story. Which is quite remarkable, as I had not realised that my legs could read.

One little tip I've picked up - if you are carrying the windlass, but don't have one of them neat little windlass holsters; and are wearing jeans, you can tuck the handle into a belt loop at the back of your jeans and it stays put and out the way for stepping over lock gates, climbing ladders, getting onto boat, etc. I tend to need to move it for pushing gates closed though.

That's what I do too, safe in the knowledge that the 'hidden' part of the windlass has a smooth ball end!

Please can you give me lessons!

I know it is possible; I have done it exactly once. Can't count the number of times I've intended to do it then lost my nerve at the last minute. There are so many things we could do, and do perfectly safely, if we could just muster the confidence.

I want to work locks as efficiently as possibly partly for the pleasure of doing it well, and partly so as not to hold others up unnecessarily.

i dont think it is anything that can be taught, as said by others you need to have the confidence in yourself to be able to do it, if you have done it once then work on that, within your own confidence levels, if not then don't do it.

I don't think the height thing is necessarily relevant either; I am 5'9 with a 33inch inside leg, and was always the token 'tall girl' in school who got forced to be the team long jumper on sports day...

I can step/hop over single gates, and sometimes I do, but I have to be in the right frame of mind about it, and confident in about ten different things (including the weather, my footwear, how much the gates move, what time of day it is, how tired I am, if someone is around to notice if I come a cropper, and whether or not I am not trying to rush) and still, about one in four times I get to the edge and then go "nope!" and back off and walk around, for no clear reason.

Some days I just don't consider doing it at all. I would like to be a little more confident about it as it is such a time saver, but to be honest I am happy enough, as while I am more than aware than being too cautious can cause errors in itself, I never want to take it for granted or give it less thought and become complacent, while as GG says, plenty of people with a shorter stride don't bat an eyelid!

MB steps over most of the time, and it always makes me go a bit squinty-eyed!

Edited by Starcoaster

Always being very nimble I've spent many years hearing blokes tut tutting about my way of doing things, they never realised that If you are naturally coordinated and agile you can't help going through life in that manner, just as a naturally non agile person is more careful. My agility has got me into trouble sometimes but equally has sometines saved me. I've seen supposedly cautious blokes with arms etc in plaster but I had never had. Each to their own, let folk do things their way.

My 65 yr old missus steps easily over lock gates because she can and I am proud of her for doing that, I will never criticise her and woe betide anyone else who does. She chooses to be agile while she is able and if she makes a cock up it's her responsibility but I will still be proud of her.

ETA: I've taken a few steps into space many a time but my admiration goes to the first bloke who stepped out of a plane without a 'chute, relying on his skill to catch his mate and recover his own 'chute and put it on. Balls, and big ones at that.

Edited by nb Innisfree

Whilst on at the boat, we cross the lock gates from our linear mooring throughout the day in order to get to the village for shopping, or more importantly, to the pub. So I suppose we get more experience of this type of exercise than most, but not for one moment do we ever take this for granted and cross with care every time.

I remember one of Julia Bradbury's canal walk episodes where she spoke to a lock keeper who claimed that a guy who'd been boating for over 30 years, had fallen from the lock whilst crossing and met his maker! Mind you, this prudent piece of information never stopped her from hanging off the handrail of the trip boat whilst it was traversing the Pontyskittle viaduct, on the non-towpath side.......!

As is introducing an absurd concept. I was careful to make a posting that allowed live and let live. I'll step across gates, you walk around locks, we will both enjoy the canals

What's 'After all, if one is in a hurry one has chosen the wrong transport system' got to do with it? Why are you using all those paddles, are you in a hurry? Why are you bringing your engine off idle, Sterling? Why are you going anywhere?

It's a bonkers argument

Richard

It's not a bonkers argument, it's just one you happen to disagree with.

You've taken jelunga's point to its logical conclusion to try to illustrate that it's bonkers, but if we take your argument to its logical conclusion it could seem bonkers too. (i.e. Go as fast as possible on the canals...)

Most arguments are bonkers if taken to extremes.

Edited by blackrose

but if we take your argument to its logical conclusion it could seem bonkers too. (i.e. Go as fast as possible on the canals...)

I've been with Richard when he's been on a tight schedule. The use of proficient, efficient techniques to make the best progress becomes a pleasure in itself. That is a long way from being bonkers.

It's not a bonkers argument, it's just one you happen to disagree with.

You've taken jelunga's point to its logical conclusion to try to illustrate that it's bonkers, but if we take your argument to its logical conclusion it could seem bonkers too. (i.e. Go as fast as possible on the canals...)

Most arguments are bonkers if taken to extremes.

Huh, what?

That was days ago, wasn't it? I can't get worked up about a topic every time someone digs up a subject

Richard

Edited by RLWP

I have slipped on a shiny roof and slid down the side of the cabin. I had so many clothes on that it didn't hurt but I got slimy off the lock wall. Just had to keep going, on own as usual .

I step across what I think of as half a lock ,narrow only. I tend to climb stuff fairly happily but I'm not that keen on heights.