Should i fit a Mikuni MX40 or a different diesel heater

NB Lola

Featured Posts

Thinking of buying one. I have read past posts and I get the impression is that most aggrevation is down to servicing arrangements.

My question is, given the choice, what would you buy for your central heating if you are restricted to diesel heaters only?

Reason for the restriction is I have narrowed down what I want to diesel heating

Thanks as always

Edited by NB Lola

My question is, given the choice, what would you buy for your central heating if you are restricted to diesel heaters only?

If you can afford it get the Pressure Jet Diesel Heater type like Hurricane, Mikuni (not the MX40/60), Bubble. If not then Lockgate Reflex do water heaters (they look like there stove version but all the heat goes to the water).

I'm looking at an Oil Rayburn Range, these use Pressure Jet, but if you're after a cooker as well then this may be good option.

Edited by Robbo

We have a Mikuni MX 60, after a few years of problems with bad starting, smoking and coking up it suddenly began to behave itself and now runs as it should. After replacing everything the only condition that changed was the introduction of Utra Low Sulphur Diesel in the UK about 3 years ago which coincided with our Mikuni starting to run properly.

Provided you use ULSD I reckon a Mikuni will be ok. As I understand it High sulphur diesel, normally in the form of 'Gas Oil' was made illegal around 2010.

I have had very unsatisfactory experiences with both Eberspacher and Webasto in the past.

Our boat had a Mikuni fitted by the previous owner when it was built in 2002 but had it replaced due to unreliability issues, less than a year later, by a Hurricane system which has been, touch wood, absolutely reliable. It is our only form of heating so needs to be!

Apart from a simple annual service, which can easily be done by the owner in about 30 minutes, it requires minimal maintenance.

I have had experience of the Hurricane system in Canada, where it's manufactured, and it's used a lot in log cabins and lodges where it's turned on in September and off in April. Where temperatures can plummet to -40c! It is a very simple and reliable system.

Ken

We have a Mikuni MX 60, after a few years of problems with bad starting, smoking and coking up it suddenly began to behave itself and now runs as it should. After replacing everything the only condition that changed was the introduction of Utra Low Sulphur Diesel in the UK about 3 years ago which coincided with our Mikuni starting to run properly.

Provided you use ULSD I reckon a Mikuni will be ok. As I understand it High sulphur diesel, normally in the form of 'Gas Oil' was made illegal around 2010.

Just to add, Eberspachers and the like have been ok on road vehicles which have used ULSD for many years.

Is the hurricane noisy?

Not really. A lot quiter than the Ebers and the like. Not the irritating whine!

Can't hear it inside the boat. Just a quiet exhaust sound from outside near the outlet.

Ken

Edited by NB Ellisiana

Hi

Ive had mikuni mx 60 twas good but needed loads a bits replacing over the years. I now have webasto which is very very much quieter and does a great job, but in reality diesel is ok for back up and water heating. The only real and sensible option for a properly heated boat is a solid fuel stove.

Tim

My understanding of all these systems, is to fit a small unit, that is going to run at full speed.

A larger unit that runs at less than full speed , will give trouble by coking up, and give grief!

Use the correct spec fuel.

Bod

As a multi franchise heater dealership with factory training, access to all the service bulletins and therefore no axe to grind with any make, I would say the Mikuni is a reliable if agricultural piece of kit but lacks sophistication in its control systems, not an issue if you don't want anything more than a simple timer which is what most do want. The main aspect of reliability is the installation and as has been said earlier in the thread they need a good load to continue to perform well, never over spec. Also, again mentioned earlier the introduction of ULS red has improved things dramatically and I can categorically say that after a couple of years of data that issues due to poor fuel have reduced dramatically. On a narrowboat they are best used as a wake, or return up to a warm boat until the solid fuel stove can be lit, especially if you are a live aboard, for weekenders and holidays a properly installed one is all you really need.

I have had very unsatisfactory experiences with both Eberspacher and Webasto in the past.

Our boat had a Mikuni fitted by the previous owner when it was built in 2002 but had it replaced due to unreliability issues, less than a year later, by a Hurricane system which has been, touch wood, absolutely reliable. It is our only form of heating so needs to be!

Apart from a simple annual service, which can easily be done by the owner in about 30 minutes, it requires minimal maintenance.

I have had experience of the Hurricane system in Canada, where it's manufactured, and it's used a lot in log cabins and lodges where it's turned on in September and off in April. Where temperatures can plummet to -40c! It is a very simple and reliable system.

Ken

Similar experience here. Despite the cost and the bigger box, it's a Hurricane every time for me.

And the servicing is a piece of pi$$, every 1000 hours and an easy DIY job.

All,

Responses much appreciated. I am investigating the Mikuni versus the webasto, unless recent buyers of either wish to advise me further. Hurricane, as a leisure boater is simply too expensive. Had I been liveaboard I would have been persuaded.

Hopefully I will update this thread or my blog as the decision/build develops

Edited by NB Lola

All,

Responses much appreciated. I am investigating the Mikuni versus the webasto, unless recent buyers of either wish to advise me further. Hurricane, as a leisure boater is simply too expensive. Had I been liveaboard I would have been persuaded.

Hopefully I will update this thread or my blog as the decision/build develops

I hesitated to reply before a\s there were so many conflicting comments (not unusual). As you have indicated that a Mikuni is you choice, I can perhaps reinforce that.

• My MX40 is approaching 15 years of use (weekends and holidays)
  • Has only had one major service in that time
  • I've only needed to change the filter once
  • Always starts (might need two attempts if the engine primary fuel filter has been changed (Mikuni recommend that a separate fuel line to the tank is used)
  • In a 60ft boat (calorifier plus 4 large radiators) it is TOO good.
  • If installing it yourself follow the instructions "to the letter"
  • It's important to site the unit where the LEDs on the control box can be seen- even if a mirror is needed.
  • The most important point is that Mikuni UK is very helpful and give prompt service when needed.

I agree totally with 'Oldgoat'.

I have an mx40 providing heating in a 40 ft boat, it is more than adequate for this purpose.

It only ever fails to start if the battery is to low.

Mine came with a remote Danfoss time clock/thermostat ( powered by an AA battery) as well as the basic on/off switch. Any type of programmer or thermostat can be used to control them as long as they run for long enough to make sure they reach working temperature.

If you install it yourself make sure that the supply cables (+ and -) are oversize and fit the silencer option on the air suction as well as the exhaust.