Which is the best shower pump?

musicman

Featured Posts

It was ages ago when our boat had one of these small holding tanks with a bilge style pump and a float switch installed to remove the waste water from the shower tray. It has been problematic ever since!! On this holiday, the waste water was dumped into the bilge and had to be bailed by hand - all because the float switch is unreliable and the tank is not sealed. Whilst I am always listening to hear whether the pump is whirring when I am in the shower, I cannot rely on others to do the same!! I have an over-ride switch installed, so providing the plug in the shower tray is in, I can still use the pump - but this arrangement is so very irritating.

I think the time has come to install something better - so I am interested to know what you guys recommend before I make my purchase.

Thanks

Phil

We have a gulper with a pull switch in the shower cubicle itself. On showering, we just switch it on when we get in and off when we get out - That is we / each of us, laugh.png , as its only big enough for one at a time.

However, it becomes immediately obvious if the water level is rising that something is wrong.

Works a treat and has done for 4 years

Nick

We have a gulper with a pull switch in the shower cubicle itself. On showering, we just switch it on when we get in and off when we get out - That is we / each of us, :lol: , as its only big enough for one at a time.

However, it becomes immediately obvious if the water level is rising that something is wrong.

This was much discussed recently on another forum (http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?355131-shower-sumps-specs-and-operation-Q&highlight=Shower+sump).

People there seemed to be fed up with the sump approach and, like you, went for the simplicity of an inline pump, operated as needed. Lots of positive things said about the Whale gulper, too.

We have a gulper with a pull switch in the shower cubicle itself. On showering, we just switch it on when we get in and off when we get out - That is we / each of us, laugh.png , as its only big enough for one at a time.

Nick

Same here, nice and simple, we have a cork key fob ball on the end of our pullswitch, easy to find when covered in soapy water and eyes are clamped shut. Though we do find we grab other things by mistake when shower sharing...

FWIW ours did start playing up last week just before we started our epic journey to Devizes from Skipton, started to run slow but ok now after a weeks daily use, I assume it had become a bit clogged up from infrequent use over the last 3 yrs. It's over 8yrs old now without any sort of attention so not doing too bad.

What happens to the water in the holding tank? If you just empty it into the canal, why not just pump the water out directly?

Another vote for Whale.

George - the holding tank is quite small so it overflows if the pump does not kick in. From memory, I would say its a box measuring 8 inches by ten inches and maybe six inches deep. Not sure what that means in terms of capacity, but you will appreciate that it cannot hold a "shower full" of water - so the rest just runs over the brim into the bilge. I reckon I filled about two bucketsfull with my trusty sponge and a lot of patience.

George - the holding tank is quite small so it overflows if the pump does not kick in. From memory, I would say its a box measuring 8 inches by ten inches and maybe six inches deep. Not sure what that means in terms of capacity, but you will appreciate that it cannot hold a "shower full" of water - so the rest just runs over the brim into the bilge. I reckon I filled about two bucketsfull with my trusty sponge and a lot of patience.

Sorry, I misunderstood. What you are talking about I would call a sump, not a tank. And your sump pump ejects the water into the canal.

Like others', my pump is in-line, and I have to remember to switch it on. If I forget, the feeling of water swirling around my ankles serves to remind me.

Sorry, I misunderstood. What you are talking about I would call a sump, not a tank. And your sump pump ejects the water into the canal.

Like others', my pump is in-line, and I have to remember to switch it on. If I forget, the feeling of water swirling around my ankles serves to remind me.

You could always paint 'min @ max rings around your ankles, like a dipstick.

• Greenie 1

You can have a sump with a gulper to make it automatic- I have one, though they're not cheap.

It's a fairly rugged plastic box with an assortment of hose connections, and a screw-down watertight lid with water level sensor attached. I put one in because the Gulper will empty the bathroom sink as well as the shower and I wanted it to do that automatically.

http://www.whalepumps.com/marine/product.aspx?Category_ID=10023&Product_ID=10038&FriendlyID=Grey-waste-tanks

Gulper now make an automatic pump, the Gulper IC, which runs when it senses water in the pipe.

]

Edited by FadeToScarlet

You can have a sump with a gulper to make it automatic- I have one, though they're not cheap.

It's a fairly rugged plastic box with an assortment of hose connections, and a screw-down watertight lid with water level sensor attached. I put one in because the Gulper will empty the bathroom sink as well as the shower and I wanted it to do that automatically.http://www.whalepumps.com/marine/product.aspx?Category_ID=10023&Product_ID=10038&FriendlyID=Grey-waste-tanks

Gulper now make an automatic pump, the Gulper IC, which runs when it senses water in the pipe.

]

Unless I'm missing something, for £175 or more, I'd expect it to make toast!!

I didnt have the cash for a Gulper at the time, so bought the normal bilge type, but didnt want to cut into the floor. Instead I put a small holding tank next to the shower..and boxed it in...with the pump inside. The level in the shower is therefore the same level as the level in the holding tank. It would overflow out the shower before out of the holding tank. We have a switch to manually control it. Yes it's a bugger once you're in the shower and the level rises above your toes and you think...ARHHHHH...I forgot to switch it on :)

It's a fairly rugged plastic box with an assortment of hose connections, and a screw-down watertight lid with water level sensor attached. I put one in because the Gulper will empty the bathroom sink as well as the shower and I wanted it to do that automatically.

http://www.whalepumps.com/marine/product.aspx?Category_ID=10023&Product_ID=10038&FriendlyID=Grey-waste-tanks

]

Yes I have the I/c version it works well better than the old pump

Peter

Got fed up with sponging out the bilges too (on two boats) Chucked the tank system and fitted a Gulper in each - Oh Happy Days!!

I got one Gulper on EBay from a chandler. It appeared to be brand new but the box had been opened and the mounting screws were missing - no problem at all and it cost me about 50 pounds.