Filling Stern Greaser

Featured Posts

I unscrew the unit from its base and take the top off.

The grease tin has a plate with a hole. I push the greaser body down on the plastic plate so the grease is pushed into the body.

I then finish off with a tea spoon and a butter knife, still makes a mess.

Edited by Ray T

If you have the tins of grease with the plate with a hole in it put the open end of the greaser over the hole and push down while unscrewing the greaser and it fills with little air. Trouble is usually some grease will come round the side of the plate so you end up scooping that in with a screw driver or similar when the tin is almost empty unless you just waste that part.

Tried all sorts and always a mess.

What's the best way to refill the greaser - standard screw down greaser.

Wind the screw back about an inch or so, use a broad knife to scoop and lay the grease in the resulting space excluding as much air as you can.

Repeat until the stern greaser body is full.

Time consuming but it works every time for me.

If you have the tins of grease with the plate with a hole in it put the open end of the greaser over the hole and push down while unscrewing the greaser and it fills with little air. Trouble is usually some grease will come round the side of the plate so you end up scooping that in with a screw driver or similar when the tin is almost empty unless you just waste that part.

This is how I do it. Described superbly if I may say so. In fact I push and the wife screws.

Martyn

Wind the screw back about an inch or so, use a broad knife to scoop and lay the grease in the resulting space excluding as much air as you can.

Repeat until the stern greaser body is full.

Time consuming but it works every time for me.

This is the method I use as well.

Steve

I modified mine,

The screw is no longer attached to the piston.

When the greaser is empty you unscrew it from the fixed base in the boat.

Unscrew the top which leaves you with the screw and the top but the piston still in the barrel.

Turn it around and fill with grease via the normal method of pressing down on the plate in the grease tin.

(The hole in the piston acts as an air vent while you are filling with grease).

Wind the screw back and screw the top onto the end of the cylinder (which will be the opposite end to which it came off).

Then screw back on to the fixed base in the boat.

Putting it simply I turn the greaser around 180 degrees every time I fill it and the piston goes from one end to the other.

I have NO mess this way

On the other hand the boat in my avitar has a conventional type of stuffing box and no way of greasing it, it also has round gland packing. Never seen another like it before but as it has been running like that for 48 years it shoud see me out.

I unscrew the unit from its base and take the top off.

The grease tin has a plate with a hole. I push the greaser body down on the plastic plate so the grease is pushed into the body.

I then finish off with a tea spoon and a butter knife, still makes a mess.

Ditto

Alex

Yes that's how I do it too

Tried all sorts and always a mess.

What's the best way to refill the greaser - standard screw down greaser.

Easy......no mess......clean hands....

Get someone else to do it!

Bod

That's how I do it too. The odd bit left over in the tin can be used for other greasing jobs. Lakeland do a pair of jar scrapers that are brilliant for getting the last of the grease out: clicky. Just don't try putting one back in galley afterwards...

• 2 weeks later...

I did ours tonight, I didn't have any special tins though,

So I unscrewed the greaser body from its base and wound out the handle, tried to spoon in the grease but it was proving a little difficult.

Then Rick and Lorraine on the boat next to us told me they just pop a plastic straw into the base of the inverted tube pushing down to the unwound piston. this allows the air to escape as you spoon in the grease they kindly popped a straw into my greaser tube and It worked, I filled the tube up within a minute!!!

very happy!