Narrow Boat And Rower In Collision On Thames

rubblequeen

Featured Posts

While moored up and watching the world go by a narrow boat going upstream collided with a single rower (in one of those skinny things) fortunately no one was hurt. However, much shouting and abuse followed. Each blaming each other.

They where both in the middle of the river or just possibly the n b was just left of centre, however it is quite wide just outside Henley so plenty of room .

The rower came over to me to see if I could check for any damage to his (whatever they are called) but there wasn't any I could see, I think the collision was more with one of the oars.

As the rower has his back to the way he is going how do they know if there is a problem arising?

Is it up to boats under power to avoid these guys and there are plenty to avoid.

Just wondered if there had been a serious result who might have been held to blame.

When we go along the Thames breasted up and loaded, we pay a lot of attention to the rowers and make a lot of use of the horn to be sure they know where we are, as last minute changes of direction to avoid them aren't going to happen and a lot of reverse just spins us around.

I think powered boats are supposed to give way, but that's not always possible so, as with a lot of things these days, as long as you can show all reasonable care has been taken at least you could offer some form of mitigation or defence.

While moored up and watching the world go by a narrow boat going upstream collided with a single rower (in one of those skinny things) fortunately no one was hurt. However, much shouting and abuse followed. Each blaming each other.

They where both in the middle of the river or just possibly the n b was just left of centre, however it is quite wide just outside Henley so plenty of room .

The rower came over to me to see if I could check for any damage to his (whatever they are called) but there wasn't any I could see, I think the collision was more with one of the oars.

As the rower has his back to the way he is going how do they know if there is a problem arising?

Is it up to boats under power to avoid these guys and there are plenty to avoid.

Just wondered if there had been a serious result who might have been held to blame.

We sometimes 'mix it' with rowers on S&SYN where there is a club just outside Doncaster.

Personally I see it as my responsibility to look out for then, they are much smaller than me and are more likely to come off worse if I hit one. If I think one is heading for me and doesn't look as if they are aware of my presence a quick tap of the horn normally sorts it.

I thought narrowboats had 360 degree vision so could keep a proper look out at all times.

It's not the seeing, it's the doing. We've been confronted by four skiffs abreast, none of which seemed prepared to adjust course.

This is the river based version of the Cars v cyclists debate.

When we go along the Thames breasted up and loaded, we pay a lot of attention to the rowers and make a lot of use of the horn to be sure they know where we are, as last minute changes of direction to avoid them aren't going to happen and a lot of reverse just spins us around.

I think powered boats are supposed to give way, but that's not always possible so, as with a lot of things these days, as long as you can show all reasonable care has been taken at least you could offer some form of mitigation or defence.

Power gives way to sail or unpowered in this case rowed vessels.

It can be very hard to avoid fast moving downstream rowers on the river with a narrowboat which at full speed into the current is moving at snails pace. I am surprised there are not more collisions.

You don't need to be moving forwards to steer out of their way. You can just ferry glide across out of their path if needs be.

It's not the seeing, it's the doing. We've been confronted by four skiffs abreast, none of which seemed prepared to adjust course.

This is the river based version of the Cars v cyclists debate.

Not really as in this case one party, the rowers, have the right of way.

You don't need to be moving forwards to steer out of their way. You can just ferry glide across out of their path if needs be.

Ta. So the motor has to avoid them but the butty doesn't. Interesting.

I've always thought it's much easier for a narrowboat coming down a canal to hold a fast straight line, and rely on the rowers to zip to the side...they have the agility. You really cant be doing zig zags with a widebeam trying to second guess where they are going to head next, and with wind effect, and the lack of steering if I slow down too much, they really can be a bit of a nuisance:) I was coming through Sale once, and they had a day of activities for the public....some rowers were going left, others right, and some just sat dead centre not realising that within about 200ft they disappear into my bows blind spot (cause I'm a short.......) smile.png

Edited by DeanS

Don't people know that rowers own the Thames and you shouldnt be on it when they want to use it!

And you must get out of their way and suffer the wash that their coacing boats create....

I've always thought it's much easier for a narrowboat coming down a canal to hold a fast straight line, and rely on the rowers to zip to the side...they have the agility. You really cant be doing zig zags with a widebeam trying to second guess where they are going to head next, and with wind effect, and the lack of steering if I slow down too much, they really can be a bit of a nuisance:) I was coming through Sale once, and they had a day of activities for the public....some rowers were going left, others right, and some just sat dead centre not realising that within about 200ft they disappear into my bows blind spot (cause I'm a short.......) smile.png

Wait till you ever get on the broads and encounter a dingy race......that can be real fun.

There is a responsibility on both vessels to avoid each other. On the Thames, when encountering flocks of rowers, I travel slowly parallel to the bank, as deviating to avoid one boat can just put you in the path of another. That seems to work just fine.

Ta. So the motor has to avoid them but the butty doesn't. Interesting.

If you are towing another craft, (and I think being breasted up qualifes as "towing alongside" then you would be classed as a vessel that is "restricted in it's ability to manoevre" under the International Collision Regulations.

I'm not sure if these regulations actually apply on the Thames - possibly local bye-laws take precedence.

Don't people know that rowers own the Thames and you shouldnt be on it when they want to use it!

And you must get out of their way and suffer the wash that their coacing boats create....

Same as the Cam.

I have seen some rowers with a little rear view mirror clipped to their caps, but some live in a world of their own. I met one on the Nene on the flood bit, went by and acknowledged me. He then went to the far end, turned round and if I had not blown my horn would still be impaled in my rear fender. How do you avoid them when they hit you up the bum.

Not really as in this case one party, the rowers, have the right of way.

Once again, a simplistic anti narrow boat approach. If the powered vessel is making, say 3mph upstream, and a skull is heading straight for it downstream at 15mph, just how fast do you think the ferry glide will move the narrow boat out of the skull's way, assuming you can accurately assess the skull's intended course, and also assuming there is sufficient water and depth to ferry glide into?

I have had racing canoes overtaking me on both sides on the Macclesfield Canal when fully loaded, including one that only just got into the bridgehole before me. I informed the club concerned that I would proceed at a steady straight pace and course and they could occupy whatever canal was left. The organisers agreed this was the best course of action.

George ex nb Alton retired

Hmm I must remember that when I meet one of those wide, home made catamarans – the ones with oil drum floats – bombing towards me on the Tring summit. tongue.png

Once again, a simplistic anti narrow boat approach. If the powered vessel is making, say 3mph upstream, and a skull is heading straight for it downstream at 15mph, just how fast do you think the ferry glide will move the narrow boat out of the skull's way, assuming you can accurately assess the skull's intended course, and also assuming there is sufficient water and depth to ferry glide into?

I have had racing canoes overtaking me on both sides on the Macclesfield Canal when fully loaded, including one that only just got into the bridgehole before me. I informed the club concerned that I would proceed at a steady straight pace and course and they could occupy whatever canal was left. The organisers agreed this was the best course of action.

Can you point me to where I have been anti narrowboat please?

Hmm I must remember that when I meet one of those wide, home made catamarans the ones with oil drum floats bombing towards me on the Tring summit. tongue.png

Surely on a canal you will be making forward progress.......

i find that if you aim straight at them they're out of the way by the time you get there.

That doesn't always work though if the wind dies just after they have tacked and they come to a halt you would end up colliding with them.

You then don't have enough room to pass to their stern which is what you are supposed to do and you know sod's law will dictate that if you try and risk nipping in front of them the wind will immediately pick up and they'll run into you (and it would have been my fault at least as I saw it anyway).

Can you point me to where I have been anti narrowboat please?

Surely on a canal you will be making forward progress.......

Without explicitly saying "I am anti Narrow boat" it is very hard to see how more anti narrow boat you can appear. Note I use the word "appear". Perhaps you actually love narrow boats and secretly want to own one...................but somehow I doubt it.

Speaking as a rowing club water safety advisor, the sculler does have a responsibility to avoid other craft, for reasons of self preservation if nothing else.

If I were responsible at the club in question, I would be asking them why they weren't aware that you were there. You have to develop a good situational awareness if you're sculling, as you only have glances over the shoulder to see what else is around you.

In a similar situation, and you think they've not seen you, don't be afraid to give a brief toot on the horn, a kind of friendly "have you seen me?", but nothing too long or agressive.