Uninvited Guest

Captain Zim

Featured Posts

I didn't notice anything but misses did. I was distracted at the time. Which on reflexion we commented on because again it seems to add to the general picture of someone trying to do something sneaky. Like you say, most people rock a boat when getting on. As for the dogs, well yes I agree. And that supposed first knock he made: small noise to test for the presence of dogs perhaps? Anyway, reported to police and neighbours told. Also, I'll pop in to the nearby yard to let the boss know.

I didn't notice anything but misses did. I was distracted at the time. Which on reflexion we commented on because again it seems to add to the general picture of someone trying to do something sneaky. Like you say, most people rock a boat when getting on. As for the dogs, well yes I agree. And that supposed first knock he made: small noise to test for the presence of dogs perhaps? Anyway, reported to police and neighbours told. Also, I'll pop in to the nearby yard to let the boss know.

Just a thought as you said you were distracted. Have you had a good look around to make sure nothing has been taken? i mean like stuff that wouldn't be obvious straight away and small things that could be put in pockets/up jumpers. distracting you/you both could have been part of the plan.

Yeah he only got in to a corridor full of junk. Nothing worth taking unless old shoes and empty plastic bottles waiting for recycling have suddenly shot up in value. I did have a good look though. really annoyed that I didn't put a face to the voice now. But also, I suppose it ended as well as it could with him leaving bestowing gods blessing on us all. Could've been worse.

Yeah he only got in to a corridor full of junk. Nothing worth taking unless old shoes and empty plastic bottles waiting for recycling have suddenly shot up in value. I did have a good look though. really annoyed that I didn't put a face to the voice now. But also, I suppose it ended as well as it could with him leaving bestowing gods blessing on us all. Could've been worse.

I am glad that you are all ok. We all live and learn from things like this. It only goes to show just how easy it is for these people to do what they do and how easy it would be to get yourself into a bad situation. Need to up the security awareness without ruining your way of life.

That is the oldest one in the book. Defo 'educated' thief.

My training would kick straight in & I would disable the scroat & ask questions when the old bill arrived. And I do know you can't really do this anymore but quite frankly I do not give a monkey's.

In circs like this, in a confined environment, offensive & surprise is the best defence. ninja.gif

The old, 'I thought I would let you know someone's trying to steal from you' .............. yes, you, you muppet.

Paying license fee in full today so very unhappy..............................

There is another possibility

The first (late) owner of our boat..never left it...we would see him from time to time...

Got used to it in the end...he would just stroll down the corridor and vanish.

Found that as long as we were nice to his boat...and said thank you...he was OK.

He was a huge bloke though..gave us a heck of a fright the first time !

Edited by Bobbybass

My training would kick straight in & I would disable the scroat & ask questions when the old bill arrived. And I do know you can't really do this anymore but quite frankly I do not give a monkey's..

You can do this if you are defending your property as well as your own safety. The whole pre-emptive strike thing is pretty broad. Imagine the police turning up. Why did ypu hit this man sir? Well, i opened an internal door in my home and he was there. I know this is fact through work. Depends on how far you take it of course and that is what a judge will decide upon. Reality is, we just nodded and thanked him for the heads up. That's the way it goes. As i said, best result all round really when the dust has settled and tempers are cooled.

Edited by NB Alnwick
edited to correct misplaced timestamp on quoted text . . .

HURRRAYYYYYY!

32 posts before some wally kicks in with their fantasy violence.

Is that a forum record?

I assume then Chris you would offer him a cuppa, sit him down & try to understand why he was inside your property when you were bathing your young child? Perhaps he's misunderstood etc..... Rubbish! I would protect my family FULL STOP!

Paying license fee in full today so very unhappy..............................

Perhaps paying by DD in instalments would make you feel a little less unhappy.....

Carlt, Doghouse, Chris & Zim, everyone else.

Maybe I was hasty in my post & I do not advocate violence. This was a result for the OP.

Unfortunately I was burgled previously at home during the day whilst I was in & came 2nd. Touchy subject for me & the family for obvious reasons.

Apologies for sounding like a numpty. I am more upset now about being called a 'wally'. blush.png

In order to frighten off ANY dodgy interlopers, thieves or burglars you could always dress yourself up permanently in an attire akin to a complete and utter crazy, maniacal, lunatific mad imbecile by wearing an old, filthy and ragged string vest, old moth eaten bobble hat, dirty and holey shorts, busted spectacles, welly boots and perhaps an eye patch, train yourself to lather and dribble and foam at the mouth like a dog with Rabies, scream and shout incomprehensively as loud as possibe, twitching and throwing yourself about all at once with terrible terrible energy and violence. This behavior should frighten off the most toughest and hardened thief or criminal. closedeyes.gif

• Greenie 1

In order to frighten off ANY dodgy interlopers, thieves or burglars you could always dress yourself up permanently in an attire akin to a complete and utter crazy, maniacal, lunatific mad imbecile by wearing an old, filthy and ragged string vest, old moth eaten bobble hat, dirty and holey shorts, busted spectacles, welly boots and perhaps an eye patch, train yourself to lather and dribble and foam at the mouth like a dog with Rabies, scream and shout incomprehensively as loud as possibe, twitching and throwing yourself about all at once with terrible terrible energy and violence. This behavior should frighten off the most toughest and hardened thief or criminal. closedeyes.gif

Yep it gets me a seat on the train everytime!

Have we met?

I met the guy again. Today at around the same time I was outside and this chap walks along the towpath and straight away, even though i'd not seen him yesterday, I thought, "I reckon this is our guy,". So I said hello and he once again apologised profusely for coming aboard. After me saying no problem and thanks for the help with the pesky kids, I asked him if he was on a boat. And this time he said "honestly, I'm not on a boat. I come up here camping out and do a spot of fishing."

So in the end it turns out that our guest was a gentleman of the road. And after asking for some detail on the kids, i'm more convinced he was genuine.

Gullible? Possibly. But maybe this guy really was trying to help and not knowing boat rules thought coming aboard was okay?

Is there a moral here?

Who cares. And ronniesonic, absolutely no need for the apology for me mate. Some of my mates would say the same and it doesn't make them thugs or idiots. One day I might be glad to have them on my side. It was just interesting to me that I responded as I did. Luck, not judgement.

Edited by Captain Zim

Had a similar incident last week at Great Haywood. Guy knocked on boat at 10.40pm. We were all in bed including our grandchildren. Got up to check and he claimed to be doing 'night patrol' for 'waterways'!! Thought he may have been seeing if anyone on board before breaking in. Anyway told him to 'move along' !! Reported to police canalwatch.

Hi John.

Welcome to the forum. I see it is the first time you have posted since you joined in 2006! To me this shows admirable self control.

Thoroughly smiley_offtopic.gif so i will have to give myself a warning. I will shut up now.

N