Lightning

RockSodem

Featured Posts

big metal thing....floating in an electrical conductor called water....

WHAT COULD GO WRONG

Nothing it will act as a Faraday cage if it strives a steel boat.

Unless you have a GRP boat and worse still with one of those pointy things on it then don't worry.

Here speaks a man who has suffered a direct lightning strike taking out $20,000 worth of electronics ohmy.png but otherwise unscathed.

• Greenie 1

Here I am, moored up, all the curtains closed, lights on and radio up loud. I am a complete astrapophobe. It affects me physically, and I can't help it. Yes, I know about Faraday and the statistics. A helmsman on a narrowboat was killed by lightning quite a few years ago somewhere in the West Midlands (where I am now), but my problem stems from long before that.

I quite like spiders.

• Greenie 1

A massive bang at 8am and the power lines were hit somewhere around here. rivers in flood too.

I was in a sailing dinghy race on the Thames in the Woolwich Greenhythe reach once when a big storm hit, lightening bounced of the water not far from me, that's why I'm a bit doolally.

My battery is low and the powers still off, I'll have to conserve power. Glad I've got a gas fridge. smile.png

Trains between a Rugby and London are fooked this morning because lightning hit the electrical supplies apparently. Slow journey in to work for me.

Bring back steam!! smile.png Did you all get out and push?

Trains between a Rugby and London are fooked this morning because lightning hit the electrical supplies apparently. Slow journey in to work for me.

And in and out of Manchester too it seems.

A massive bang at 8am and the power lines were hit somewhere around here. rivers in flood too.

I was in a sailing dinghy race on the Thames in the Woolwich Greenhythe reach once when a big storm hit, lightening bounced of the water not far from me, that's why I'm a bit doolally.

Did you end up with one red eye and one green eye?

Nothing it will act as a Faraday cage if it strives a steel boat.

No, it won't actually as there are vents in the doors and stuff so electrical stuff will still get through, to be a faraday cage it would need to be well sealed.

No, it won't actually as there are vents in the doors and stuff so electrical stuff will still get through, to be a faraday cage it would need to be well sealed.

I didn't think a Faraday cage had to be sealed? I just thought it had to go around you?

Cage_de_Faraday_zps4eee4f61.jpg

On a related question: Is there any point switching electrical equipment off during an electrical storm - or even disconnecting the boat from shore power?

Edited by blackrose

Not true. It's a perfect cage, the vents and other things don't matter at all.

Bob

"An ideal Faraday cage consists of an unbroken, perfectly conducting shell".

The key word here is "ideal," especially when we're dealing with physicists, who live in the mysterious world of Perfectly Balanced Forces that doesn't really intersect with our actual lived reality. An "ideal" undergraduate physics problem involves a penguin sliding on a sheet of frictionless ice, but most people accept that outside of textbooks ice has quite a lot of friction.

You-are-pulling-four-penguins-on-a-strin

Figure One: A demonstration of the impracticality of living in Physicists World.

Cars are imperfect Faraday cages too, what with those inconvenient windows and extra bits and all, and they're considered "the safest place to be" in areas that get far more lightning than England! detective.gif

Of course, having said this, I must now resign myself to the inevitable lightning strike that will definitely hit our boat now that I've taunted the thunder gods...

To be a proper faraday cage it needs to be sealed.

"An ideal Faraday cage consists of an unbroken, perfectly conducting shell".

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/definition/Faraday-cage

Unbroken conductivity! A relatively small hole in a door or the roof for a vent doesn't break the conductivity of a large steel shell.

You previously said that "the electrical stuff will get in through the holes" which is nonsense! A Faraday cage doesn't have to be physically sealed.

Edited by blackrose