I'm too hot!

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

Moor under a tree

Very true! We are currently moored in the shade in Market Harborough. The inside temperature yesterday was nice and cool!

The only downside is the solar panels don't work nearly so well!

Can't have everything I suppose!

Ken

A word of warning!

During these unseasonably hot times, there is a propensity for people to strip off in the intimacy of their boat to alleviate the effects of the weather. We know of at least two boaters whom were innocently exposed to what originally was thought to be a wild animal on board a passing boat, a voracious beaver no less!

It was only when the owner of the beaver turned around a displayed what was described as a 'full moon', did the shocked boaters realise that they'd been flashed. The resulting trauma led the two unfortunates to seek solace in a nearby house of therapy. It was there that copious amounts of larger were consumed to calm their nerves and dispel the moments of laughter!

Be warned and if you do come across anything similar, remember to place your hands across your eyes with a suitable gap to allow subtle viewing without the suggestion of being a voyeur.

• Greenie 1

A word of warning!

During these unseasonably hot times, there is a propensity for people to strip off in the intimacy of their boat to alleviate the effects of the weather. We know of at least two boaters whom were innocently exposed to what originally was thought to be a wild animal on board a passing boat, a voracious beaver no less!

It was only when the owner of the beaver turned around a displayed what was described as a 'full moon', did the shocked boaters realise that they'd been flashed. The resulting trauma led the two unfortunates to seek solace in a nearby house of therapy. It was there that copious amounts of larger were consumed to calm their nerves and dispel the moments of laughter!

Be warned and if you do come across anything similar, remember to place your hands across your eyes with a suitable gap to allow subtle viewing without the suggestion of being a voyeur.

Greenie awarded for that. Something similar happened to me recently. Never having seen female genitalia before I was truly shocked and had to lie down in a dark room to recover!

• Greenie 1

Greenie awarded for that. Something similar happened to me recently. Never having seen female genitalia before I was truly shocked and had to lie down in a dark room to recover!

I'm suspicious as to the purpose of going to the dark room... :D

Buy those foil windscreen reflectors- you can often get them quite cheap at markets or pound shops. Cut them to exactly fit your windows and blu tack inside. makes a huge difference. Also find a fan that will work off 12v and wire it to a small panel. Open front and back doors so a breeze blows through.

If you can, have a garden umbrella front and. back to shade the decks, so they stay cool.

A few years ago I was up at Stone visiting my cousin for the day on his boat. His son and daughter in law were staying with him for the weekend also. Anyway Jas his daughter in law was sunbathing topless on his boats roof when a boat emerged from under the Star locks over bridge and promptly crashed headlong into the opposite bank. He'd spotted Jas or course although his wife in the front well hadn't at that point and started hollering, WILF!! WILF!! what you doing!!!! And then she spotted Jas too and all hell was let loose threw a big tantrum with poor old Wilf getting a shocking drubbing by his Mrs followed by her shouting across blaming and calling Jas all the tarts under the sun.

Lol,

Did you not see any kind of similarity without being too obvious?

I thought that the 'copious amounts of LARGER' would have been a clue!

I also vaguely remember someone saying they put a computer fan between the bilge and the boat, to bring cool moist air up into the boat. Does that really work? Anyone tried it?

That might be really good in keeping the bilges dry and, possibly less rusty or would it introduce lots more oxygen and warm damp air to promote rust.

N

Edited by Theo
Cos I mucked it up.

But there is nothing to be shocked about.

Or is that what caused the shock?

Green on.

On a less silly note.

It was 38c+ in the truck yesterday so time to wash the dogs' blankets. I put them on the roof & keep rinsing them with the hose.

Result. No niffy dog bedding & a significant drop in temperature in the truck.

Buy those foil windscreen reflectors- you can often get them quite cheap at markets or pound shops. Cut them to exactly fit your windows and blu tack inside. makes a huge difference.

Would it be better still, to hang the reflectors outside the windows to stop even the glass heating up?

I'm happy sitting in boat, hatches and windows open, cool breeze blowing through the boat from time to time,(and my boat is black), happy its still the weekend. Glad I'm not playing tennis in 40 degree centre court!!!

I'm here enjoying the first proper summer days at home since having my old hopper top windows replaced with the type that the whole glass pane lifts out. I've taken the glass out of five of the thirteen windows, opened the front door and the back and it's bearable in here now. However the probem I find is if I have to go out and close everything up again, I'll be returning to an oven.

It's not unusual for my boat interior to sit at 34 degrees centigrade all day and evening if I'm not home. The thermometer in the middle cabin says its 30 degree now, but the breeze makes it feel much cooler than that.

Hi everyone,

Any tips on keeping the boat cool this summer, its too hot for me already and the boat is like an oven.

I know it should be painted a light colour (our roof is cream although the sides are blue) but what else can I do to make it cooler than outside?

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Also as a side note, we have loads of excess power from our solar array. Can you buy air conditioning units? tongue.png

Thanks

Doodlebug

If there's lots of solar and fridge with icebox, then make lots of ice for iced drinks to cool down with :)

Other than that different sized fans to move air through the boat and cool face, arms and legs, maybe DIY a small evaporative cooler.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

We have cream cabin sides and open front and rear doors plus 2 Houdini hatches, superb through draft.

As a matter of interest we too have all portholes, much less Solar gain (warmer in winter too)

Our previous boat had the typical bus windows and we covered them in a light grey reflective film, an easy job which did three things.

1/ hugely increased privacy

2/ cut down on Solar gain by a massive amount

3/ cut down condensation on the glass during winter

The film did not have a noticeable effect on the amount of light coming in.

Phil

I disagree We had the one way window reflective film stuff for 6 months and hated it. It made the boat dark inside and you had to have the lights on from about 4pm.

And i dont believe that most of the heat comes from the windows I am sure its the walls, when I put my hand on the inside wall it feels rather warm.

Moan moan moan during the winter (it's cold, how do I keep warm?...)

Moan moan moan during summer (it's hot, how do I keep cool?)

Just make the most of every day hot days are good, and cold days are good.

Well, cold days are better, but you get the gist..

• Greenie 1

Left Birmingham airport at 25 degrees, arrived in Aberdeen an hour later, it was a blissfully cool 15 degrees ( sea breeze). Ah, the joys of living in Scotland!

Spent yesterday afternoon sitting outside The Fly in blisteringly hot sunshine, listening to our very own adopted Aberdeen saxophonist playing against some cool backing tracks.

Thank The Lord this very talented musician prefers the hot Cheshire plains to the joys of living in Scotland (where they eat their young, so folklore has it said).

Edited by Doorman

I disagree We had the one way window reflective film stuff for 6 months and hated it. It made the boat dark inside and you had to have the lights on from about 4pm.

And i dont believe that most of the heat comes from the windows I am sure its the walls, when I put my hand on the inside wall it feels rather warm.

It has to be said that there are many types of reflective film, some better than others, you can even get Limoblack which is really black. The film that I used was only a light grey, also available in a bronze colour, reflective yes light blocking no. I worked at a Old Folks home and the owner was an architect and he had the same film (bronze) fitted to a conservatory to keep it cooler for the residents.

As for solar gain, when I fitted mine you could feel the difference just by holding your hand in front of a covered window and then in front of a uncovered window.

Light and heat are two different things, glass has the ability to change ultraviolet light into infrared light when the light passes through it.

The film that we used was developed to prevent this so cutting down heat but not light.

Madcat, I cannot remember the exact web address but it was either www.diyplas.co.uk or .com I'm sure you will be able to find it

Phil

edited to change Madcap to Madcat

Edited by Phil Ambrose

AH Market Harborough , lovely place to visit by boat, had a lovely time there a few weeks ago, now getting ready to go out again for another month, heaven is being able to untie your home and go on your holiday without packing :-)

Very true! We are currently moored in the shade in Market Harborough. The inside temperature yesterday was nice and cool!
The only downside is the solar panels don't work nearly so well!

Can't have everything I suppose!

Ken

?..Light and heat are two different things...

Well no, light and radiated heat are exactly the same thing, just at different frequencies like Radio 1 vs Radio 2!

But yes, the right film can reflect infra red and ultra violet but allow visible light through.