Boat burgled above Watford locks

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

Some assbreathing skankmongering toerag broke into Reginald between the evening of Sunday the 2nd June and around midday today.

He was moored by Kilsby Road Bridge about half a mile after the Watford flight.

We're not entirely sure how they got in (we can see various places where they failed to jemmy it and caused some damage) although we have some ideas, but now for the weird bit...

We're going to go back up later on with fresh eyes and possibly to move him, but at this point all that appears to be missing is

a set of Nicholsons guides.

This is particularly weird as there was various other small portable things in there that were of value, and the assbreather or assbreathers who broke in had a bloody good search, pulling out all the drawers and cupboards and lifting the bench seats.

All of the Nicholsons were second hand, in various ages and states of repair, but ALL of them say either 'Reg' or 'Reginald' prominently on the front.

So if anyone comes across or is offered a set of Nicholsons with 'Reg' on them, or possibly a set with no covers, they are STOLEN.

A crime reference number will be added shortly when we have it.

No one but a boater would want those Nicholsons, obviously, and any non-boater opportunist thief would have taken some of the brassware or other stuff with a resale value instead.

I can't help but think they will appear somewhere at some point, either on Ebay or on some asshat's boat!

If anyone sees them or is offered them, please let me or MB know asap. MB promises not to overreact.

Edited by Starcoaster

Bad news SC - hope they drop themselves in it somewhere and get caught, although they didn't nick much that is not the point, what with the damage aswell.

Chin up!

Sorry to hear this. We were also recently broken into at Leamington Spa and have reason to believe the miscreants (or is it excrements?) were on the boat twice...yet didn't take anything at all, despite there being two laptops and a phone onboard. My father-in-law suggested we had been burgled by an Amish person.

To update, we're now back with the police here and now I have been able to look properly and check the cupboards, this is almost certainly a Finch job. Tinned food,a plate, frying pan, radio batteries and bedding is all gone as well.
He also made tea and possibly a meal and dried the dishes he didn't steal with kitchen roll and put it in the bin!
Apparently he doesn't like tinned tomato or crackers, so stock up with them and you should be safe...

Edited by Starcoaster

We viewed a couple of boats at rugby boats last weekend. The nice chap who showed us round said that good old mr Finch died last year.

I have to admit I hadn't heard of his demise prior to this. It does sound like a Finch job to me. If still with us.

He does/did use a crowy.

I guess the Police would know if he's still at it or gone to the towpath in the sky.

Anyone know for sure if he's still with us? His story doesn't appear on the Braunston Marine site anymore.

Martyn

From what I've seen on here over the last few months, Isn't it the done thing to say that if its mr finch then it's ok and we should feel sorry for him and blame the government?

Sorry to hear your news Starry. I've never been on the recieving end of a theft or burglary so can't imagine how it fells.

From what I've seen on here over the last few months, Isn't it the done thing to say that if its mr finch then it's ok and we should feel sorry for him and blame the government?

If that is your interpretation then you haven't been reading carefully enough.

Finch has, like so many of our ex-servicemen, been let down by the MOD and subsequent governments who don't care what happens to them after they are no longer any use to them but that still doesn't mean he shouldn't be held responsible for his actions.

• Greenie 3

I was working down in milton Keynes yesterday and there had been a mini crime wave during the Week on the towpath with many boats broken into overnight.

Not just a couple, a lot.

One of our forum members had a d-locked bike and sack-trolley taken.

it does seem as if boats are a hot target at the moment and there are plenty being left for long periods unattended.

mike/star , it might be an idea to see if anyone is selling a useless set of Phillips guides now they have proper books.

Thanks for the support everyone (I mainly posted to get people to look out for the Nicholsons to find the thief, MB has been here all day doing the bit with the police, hence my posting rather than him- it's his boat not mine, after all, so more impact to him but Reg is like my home from home, and I lived on him for five weeks last summer) and to everyone who shared the message on Facebook to be on the lookout for the marked Nicholsons.

To be quite honest we're not so bothered now we know it was Finch, MB particularly; Finch is a kind of known quantity. Reg is neither of our's home (the burglary would almost certainly not have happened it if had been, but if it had been a home it may have felt very different) and I know it's not cool, or justifiable, or ok, and it messed up our whole day, and when Finch eventually does get picked up for something else, if they can link him to this due to his prints etc, and get a conviction then that's a good result.

But I must admit that both of us were in many ways happier knowing it was Finch; a known quantity, not causing damage for the sake of it, taking things to survive.

For my part, I don't necessarily think it's cool that I feel like that; having someone break in anywhere, take without permission, imprint themselves on your space and search your things is never ok. Sometimes when I have been very poor, someone stealing all of my tinned food would have meant that I wouldn't have been able to eat myself, so I certainly won't say I think that any of this is ok.

But it is a holiday boat, not a home, there wasn't anything sentimental left there or messed with, and we feel like we're dealing with a known quantity, which is nicer than wondering if someone is going to come back to try for any valuable stuff (that we have now removed anyway) or was another boater.

The police were very good, sent an officer right out who handled it very well and is aware of Finch, and an hour later a SOCO officer came and took prints.

According to the officer originally in attendance, Finch has been 'on his holidays' in the not too distant past and may not have been let out very long ago, which ties in with taking things like a frying pan and bedding as he might need to set himself up.

He doesn't appear to have stayed long on the boat, or slept there. this may be as the gas was off and the gas locker very well locked, so no means of heating or cooking (unless he wanted to light the stove).

I must admit I find it funny? or something that he is doing ok enough and confident enough about getting more food to be choosy about taking tins of tuna and peaches but leaving stuff he didn't like like tinned tomato and crackers!

Edited by Starcoaster
  • Greenie 3

Starcoaster, I'm a bit puzzled about why Finch might have a need for the Nicholsons. He won't want to carry them around, and he knows his patch on the cut like the back of his hand.

Unless it's for firelighting.

I can fully understand how you might feel easier about the situation knowing it was likely to be Finch. You should not feel guilty about that fact making you feel better, it is totally understandable and I think most of us would feel the same if we were in the horrid situation your and Mike have found yourselves in this weekend

Of course what Finch is doing is not right or in any way excusable but how much blame should be apportioned to the individual and how much to a society that does not provide adequate support for individuals who find themselves in dire straights is a matter for debate and not one that we should be hijacking your thread with.

I hope you have managed to get things back in some semblence of order.

(changing to my Auntie Wainwright hat)

Still not wishing to hijack your thread but as everyone knows what I am like anyway and never being one to miss an opportunity ........ I have a variety of second hand Nicholsons guides which I am selling for Chesterfield Canal Trust so if you wanted to replace what has been lost cheaply I could bring them along to Pelsall for you. PM me if you are interested

{snip}

But I must admit that both of us were in many ways happier knowing it was Finch; a known quantity, not causing damage for the sake of it, taking things to survive.

{snip}

I must admit I find it funny? or something that he is doing ok enough and confident enough about getting more food to be choosy about taking tins of tuna and peaches but leaving stuff he didn't like like tinned tomato and crackers!

He does like tinned spaghetti though.

Tawny has been Finched twice, and we have a similar attitude to you about it. Both times he showed us weak points in the boat's security, both times I have put in much better fixtures and fittings. so, in a way, he benefited us. he broke in, did little damage showed us weaknesses

And, it's a bit like having your boat broken into by a mythical animal. Who would complain if their boat was very nicely burgled by the tooth faerie or Father Christmas

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Starcoaster, I'm a bit puzzled about why Finch might have a need for the Nicholsons. He won't want to carry them around, and he knows his patch on the cut like the back of his hand.

Probably thinks Nicholsons are rubbish, and peeps should buy Philips. Mind perhaps he should write local guides !

This is a good point. In addition there must be Nicholson Guides in virtually every boat he breaks into, so why take ALL of mine? I had five in Reg having checked now. Guides, 1,2,3,4, and 7 were nicked. Not really consistent with being Finched.

MtB

This is a good point. In addition there must be Nicholson Guides in virtually every boat he breaks into, so why take ALL of mine? I had five in Reg having checked now. Guides, 1,2,3,4, and 7 were nicked. Not really consistent with being Finched.

MtB

I have Guides 1;3;4 bought in the late 70's (can't see a publication date) in good nick which you can have foc if you can arrange collection Sheffield/Chesterfield area.

Sadly, I can't ever see me using them again.

Cheers

HH

• Greenie 2