boaters target boaters

Trix

Featured Posts

The difference is it removes a potentially unsafe boat from the waters while it gets sorted.

The BSC has very little to do with the safety of other canal users, you realise?

Do you not think that it is preferable to keep what little risk there is to other people away from busy, populated environments like a boatyard?

I'd be very interested to know how many third party injuries or deaths have been caused by non-compliant boats on BW/CRT waters if safety is your concern...

The BSC has very little to do with the safety of other canal users, you realise?

Do you not think that it is preferable to keep what little risk there is to other people away from busy, populated environments like a boatyard?

I'd be very interested to know how many third party injuries or deaths have been caused by non-compliant boats on BW/CRT waters if safety is your concern...

Gas explosions and fires can certainly risk others and their boats, however I am inclined to agree that it would probably be very hard to point to a case where this has happened because the boat didn't have a current BSC.

It's an interesting concept - my boat has a dangerous fault but I can't take it to a boatyard as it brings it close to other boats! I think that too is an implausible concept.

Edited by nicknorman

I disagree actually, a boat with a valid BSSC not only protects it's occupants but also the boats (and the occupants) in the immediate vicinity, whilst relevant it's not just about death and injuries to other boaters which is not actually something I mentioned.

The risk is probably equal between a well populated mooring and a populated boatyard but it all depends on individual layout and the proximity of other boats. Besides boatyards will be full of boats without a valid BSSC or licence because one is not required when on hard standing, which would be the situation here.

(Of course living on such a boat may present an additional risk compared with the norm which will be unoccupied)

To me the overall better solution remains getting a BSSC and licence sorted, and as already said if I was near and able I would do what I could to help, as I'm sure many others would too.

You didn't pick up the second bit to my question,

How long do you propose the Trust give him?, and what happens at the expiry of that time period? - back to square one surely?

persent not prevent stoopid

Edited by The Dog House

How long do you propose the Trust give him?, and what happens at the expiry of that time period? - back to square one surely?

That would be a matter between the boater and CRT and none of my business.

As I don't have any great interest in other peoples' affairs I don't really care how long it takes as I don't really care whether he is licensed or not.

I believe everybody should be fully licensed, insured and BSCed or working towards that goal but an individual's status is none of my business.

Personally, when the situation has arisen, I have been given anything from "run away now!" to a few months to get a boat in reasonable order, depending on the condition of the boat and the demeanour of the Patrol Office/regional manager.

When dealing with the intransigent jobsworth end of the scale the trick was to refloat as quickly as possible and head for friendlier territory.

• Greenie 1

That would be a matter between the boater and CRT and none of my business.

Normally I would agree, but this (for me) raises a point where I may be interested in whether a boat I am moored up near to or breasted up with actually does have a valid BSSC.

Normally I would agree, but this (for me) raises a point where I may be interested in whether a boat I am moored up near to or breasted up with actually does have a valid BSSC.

Perhaps boats should be displaying a BSC disc rather than a licence disc then?

The licence merely indicates that the boat had a BSC on the day the licence was issued.

Personally, considering the insignificant number of third party deaths caused by boats without safety certificates, if I let that worry me then I would struggle to get out of bed in the morning for fear of the real and significant risks we all take on a daily basis...

...then again, staying in bed and risking gangrene caused by bedsores....

The licence merely indicates that the boat had a BSC on the day the licence was issued.

Indeed

A few Boats ago I found I needed work to the boat to renew my BSS And I was going to be away on tour.

My BSS ran out 2 weeks before my licence

I relicensed one month early and lost a month on the old licence, that gave me 12 months to sort it out, BW queried it but it was within the rules if not the Spirit of the rules.....

Personally, considering the insignificant number of third party deaths caused by boats without safety certificates, if I let that worry me then I would struggle to get out of bed in the morning for fear of the real and significant risks we all take on a daily basis...

...then again, staying in bed and risking gangrene caused by bedsores....

I am not going to get anal about it - it's just something that has never really occured to me before.

But who defines "seaworhiness"? At least with BSS (and yes I know it doesn't cover "seaworthiness") you have some support if something goes wrong. The insurance may take the view that if it doesn't have a current BSC it is not seaworthy.

That would make every boat based on the coast not sea worthyblink.png

Indeed

A few Boats ago I found I needed work to the boat to renew my BSS And I was going to be away on tour.

My BSS ran out 2 weeks before my licence

I relicensed one month early and lost a month on the old licence, that gave me 12 months to sort it out, BW queried it but it was within the rules if not the Spirit of the rules.....

Indeed. A couple of years ago our BSS lapsed. We didnt realise until the licence renewal form arrived. BSS was due in mid June, licence renewal was September. We were not bending the rules it was a genuine mistake.Luckily the boat flew straight through the BSS so we still managed to keep our prompt payment discount when we renewed.

And a BSC merely indicates that the boat met the BSS standards on the day the inspection was carried out - up to four years ago!

Amazing. I read this and think, this guy really knows his stuff, and he expresses it with clinical perfection. Yet I am left feeling totally hostile towards him. Very strange.

I feel exactly the same. Drives me mad to see so many in this country expect to get something for nothing.

I feel exactly the same. Drives me mad to see so many in this country expect to get something for nothing.

As I suspect is usual, the hostility derives from a misguided belief that someone else isn’t paying for something the objector is obliged to pay for. Always expressed, as above, in terms of socially responsible outrage that contributions are not being made to a shared facility.

What is quite extraordinary is that not a single one of such contributors can seemingly absorb any information that would interfere with their false pre-conceptions and desire to lash out at others. This destructive, insular mentality is what creates the artificial divisions and conflict complained of in the current topic.

Most of them appear to be BW licence holders – how many pay for a Gold Licence to support EA waterways as well? How many pay also for a National Trust Licence and support the River Wey, etc etc? If they don’t, why not? Nasty, selfish, anti-social freeloaders all of them, by their own argument; enjoying the benefit of hundreds of miles of accessible waterways, for which they make no contribution. Getting something for nothing. Creating a nation of apoplectics.

Anal bedsores?

You need to exercise more

I have no idea what that means.

The term 'anal' was used in the context of being obsessive and had no context with or connection to the previous bed sore reference by Carl.

As I suspect is usual, the hostility derives from a misguided belief that someone else isnt paying for something the objector is obliged to pay for. Always expressed, as above, in terms of socially responsible outrage that contributions are not being made to a shared facility.

What is quite extraordinary is that not a single one of such contributors can seemingly absorb any information that would interfere with their false pre-conceptions and desire to lash out at others. This destructive, insular mentality is what creates the artificial divisions and conflict complained of in the current topic.

Most of them appear to be BW licence holders how many pay for a Gold Licence to support EA waterways as well? How many pay also for a National Trust Licence and support the River Wey, etc etc? If they dont, why not? Nasty, selfish, anti-social freeloaders all of them, by their own argument; enjoying the benefit of hundreds of miles of accessible waterways, for which they make no contribution. Getting something for nothing. Creating a nation of apoplectics.

Nigel do you intend to reply to my earlier query in post #112 about your boating activities? You seem keen to engage on this thread, but your silence on that specific matter inevitably leads to assumptions being made. Edited by nicknorman

I have no idea what that means.

The term 'anal' was used in the context of being obsessive and had no context with or connection to the previous bed sore reference by Carl.

Perhaps a break from the computer from time to time would help with the obsessive disorder.

And some cream on the sores.

Concerned, and trying to help

Glenn

Perhaps a break from the computer from time to time would help with the obsessive disorder.

And some cream on the sores.

Concerned, and trying to help

Glenn

Well given you are only two posts behind me for today perhaps you should heed your own advice and stop trying to provoke a fight to boot.

Numberofposts_zps1bc06776.jpg[/url]

Nigel do you intend to reply to my earlier query in post #112 about your boating activities? You seem keen to engage on this thread, but your silence on that specific matter inevitably leads to assumptions being made.

No, I don’t intend to provide you with any information as to my personal life style and/or boating activities. Assume that I have none and it will make no difference to the correctness or otherwise of any information I impart. Nor do I expect that you will attempt to answer any of my own prior questions which you have ignored – they were intended to help anyone falling in with the same misconceptions [and yet having a genuine desire to learn the facts of the matter] to arrive at a better understanding.

I engage on this Forum for my own purposes, which are limited to learning from others mostly, and occasionally to interject with pertinent information where I am in a position to do so. Sometimes I'll even venture to offer an opinion, and am interested to learn those of others who differ - if rationally expressed and based on knowledge and/or experience. Others also use the Forum, usefully and entertainingly: for debate, for badinage, for news and chat, for sharing life’s little moments and feelings, for comparing lifestyles and experiences; I don’t.

Edited by NigelMoore
  • Greenie 3

Amazing. I read this and think, this guy really knows his stuff, and he expresses it with clinical perfection. Yet I am left feeling totally hostile towards him. Very strange.

This is a rather depressing post, are you saying that despite the evidence in front of you, you still prefer to believe your own prejudices????

Looking at the evidence:

Mr Moore was moored legally...the high court said so.

For their own unknown reasons CaRT have spent £400,000 of OUR money persecuting/prosecuting him.

Mr Moore is obviously an intelligent and clear thinking man who, in order to continue with his boating, has had to become a legal expert.

He is now choosing to give up his spare time to share this expertise with others (and keep Goliath drinking!!!!)

So the outcome is that we now have a radicalised intelligent boater who is anti-CaRT and knows more about the law than CaRT themselves.

Not good!

When I came to the cut I was very pro BW, but the more I see the more I like Mr Moore and the less I like CaRT.

However I do admire the people on this forum who are trying to reform CaRT and I am ready and willing to return to the pro-CaRT fold as soon as they start spending our money wisely and looking after wonderful waterway!

and whilst I am ranting....

They also hounded Mr Davies through the courts (which might have been correct) but they have not followed up with all the other boaters doing exactly the same which looks like victimisation to me, and even worse I rather suspect the "K&A Western End Mooring Strategy" that CaRT are working on will conclude that Mr Davies' boating was in fact totally within the rules. More money wasted!!!!

...........Dave (I feel better for that)

Edited by dmr
  • Greenie 1

I am not very good at intellectual chit-chat,so I will just say,you are a plonker.

This is a rather depressing post, are you saying that despite the evidence in front of you, you still prefer to believe your own prejudices????

Looking at the evidence:

For their own unknown reasons CaRT have spent £400,000 of OUR money persecuting/prosecuting him.

Mr Moore is obviously an intelligent and clear thinking man who, in order to continue with his boating, has had to become a legal expert.

He is now choosing to give up his spare time to share this expertise with others (and keep Goliath drinking!!!!)

So the outcome is that we now have a radicalised intelligent boater who is anti-CaRT and knows more about the law than CaRT themselves.

Not good!

When I came to the cut I was very pro BW, but the more I see the more I like Mr Moore and the less I like CaRT.

However I do admire the people on this forum who are trying to reform CaRT and I am ready and willing to return to the pro-CaRT fold as soon as they start spending our money wisely and looking after wonderful waterway!

They also hounded Mr Davies through the courts (which might have been correct) but they have not followed up with all the other boaters doing exactly the same which looks like victimisation to me, and even worse I rather suspect the "K&A Western End Mooring Strategy" that CaRT are working on will conclude that Mr Davies' boating was in fact totally within the rules. More money wasted!!!!

Just run out of greenies,been giving them to Mr Moore,or I would have awarded one to you.
  • Greenie 1

Looking at the evidence:

Not good!

No, what I was trying to say, and obviously put badly, was that there was something about the manner of the post that raised my hackles, completely independently of the argument he was offering. I am still not saying whether I agree with the substance of his statement, just that it carried a strange overtone that predisposed me to judge his message harshly.

Some others on here have this talent also, to a lesser degree. They make statements that I find to be highly accurate but in a manner that leave me wanting to disagree. Some others have the opposite talent, they make statements that are more or less acceptable but do so with a generosity of spirit that makes me want to agree with them!

Ok, these are nuances that are not significant in the grand scheme of things, but I find it interesting.

Well given you are only two posts behind me for today perhaps you should heed your own advice and stop trying to provoke a fight to boot.

Numberofposts_zps1bc06776.jpg[/url]

It was a very silly and immature comment, I know.

I'm not picking a fight.

We may have opposing views on some matters but I bare no hostility towards you.

Please accept my apology

And get well soon

Glenn

I don't actually think I am the one that is unwell.

You seem hell bent on trying to cause a fight with that rather silly and childish last comment but just so you know you won't get one here.

Edited by The Dog House

No, I don’t intend to provide you with any information as to my personal life style and/or boating activities. Assume that I have none and it will make no difference to the correctness or otherwise of any information I impart. Nor do I expect that you will attempt to answer any of my own prior questions which you have ignored – they were intended to help anyone falling in with the same misconceptions [and yet having a genuine desire to learn the facts of the matter] to arrive at a better understanding.

I engage on this Forum for my own purposes, which are limited to learning from others mostly, and occasionally to interject with pertinent information where I am in a position to do so. Sometimes I'll even venture to offer an opinion, and am interested to learn those of others who differ - if rationally expressed and based on knowledge and/or experience. Others also use the Forum, usefully and entertainingly: for debate, for badinage, for news and chat, for sharing life’s little moments and feelings, for comparing lifestyles and experiences; I don’t.

Nigel, If I didn't reply to your questions earlier it was only because they seemed rhetorical. I have nothing to hide.if you really want an answer please re-ask because i am not clear to which you refer. Anyway, I am obliged to you for this response because it allows me to consider you a non-boater, a squatter on the waterway if you like, and therefore removes any sense of guilt I might have had for my feeling of animosity towards you.

It was a very silly and immature comment, I know.

I'm not picking a fight.

We may have opposing views on some matters but I bare no hostility towards you.

Please accept my apology

And get well soon

Glenn

I don't actually think I am the one that is unwell.

You seem hell bent on trying to cause a fight with that rather silly and childish last comment but just so you know you won't get one here.

Now children, no squabbling in the back. A non-boater is watching and it doesn't do to air dirty washing in public!

Any use??

Martin, that is the finest stuff for sorting out a dog with the trots. We have a bottle on the boat for such eventualities. It was recommended to us by a vet because he knew of the difficulties of getting a dog to a vet when out with your boat. As you know, our dogs like to do a bit of inadvertent swimming from time to time!!! Swallowing canal water can loosen them up a bit Pepto Bismol works every time.

Denis being small would only need one dose of about 5cc.