£185 Windlass

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

If anybody fancies a nice shiny bronze windlass guaranteed to have absolutely no history whatsoever I make them to order from phosphor bronze, also just for useful info. I may possibly be able to help if you have ancient machinery with small damaged castings, brass, bronze or aluminium only and sorry I can`t cast a new crankcase for your Bolinder!.

Can you give some indication of cost?

• 3 months later...

The windlass with the arrow in your picture is one made by Selwyn Jordan at Keays dock, they are very rare to find.

No connection but on eBay at the moment. May be of interest to someone?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Old-Brass-bronze-Canal-Windlass-Lock-Key-/291055498577?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item43c4427551#ht_48wt_1400

$_12.JPG

Looks like a small eyed one, rather than one with the old large "Grand Union" size, (which are historically interesting, but not much use for anything any more!)

Even if it is one of the small eye sized ones, I think it will probably be too small to be used on many of the modern spindles, (safely!).

It will be bronze, I'm sure - brass would be pretty useless!

I found one of them the other day at the back of a cupboard in my back cabin. If it's worth any money and will give me a few pennies towards my water trap I'll happily flog it if anyone wants it.

Downside is I don't do eBay/PayPal so it'll need collection from Paddington Arm or Uxbridge/Denham area.

I could be interested, providing it has the arrow on it. Wouldnt mind a pair for the back cabin of Rufford.

Most like that will have it, because they were all cast from the same moulds!

To be clear you are looking at a 1960s/1970s cast windlass, probably using an original much older forged one to make the mould.

If it's worth a few bob I'll sell that one also before I loose it!

I suppose any are worth what someone is prepared to pay for them.

If someone will part with a three figure sum for a basic cast windlass that is no more than about 40 years old, then I say good luck to the seller.

I have one bronze windlass that I owned in the days when Grand Union paddle gear had its original large spindles, not the "standardised" stuff it has now. Utterly useless as a windlass, but it seems I could still get a few bob for it.

I don't intend to though, it's just about the only thing I have from boating in my younger days.

It`s worth £5 just in scrap, the people who run the yard where I get my scrap bronze said they had a load of windlasses in a few years ago, wonder what they were?

Only if you can find someone paying well in excess of £4 per kilo for scrap gun-metal in small quantities.

The actual rate seems to be more around the £3 mark currently.

• 1 year later...

I made that in the mid 1990's. Its a "Boatmans cabin Co" windlass made in LG2 Gunmetal bronze. It is not copper. They were fully usuable and I have vague recollecdtions of someone wanting one engraved.

Just purchased this from eBay:

15707156313_d8122510e5_c.jpg$_57a

16139499188_eb19790500_z.jpg

£18.99! I'm not too worried about the engraving at that price.

The throw is 8"

Edited by Ray T

Just purchased this from eBay:

15707156313_d8122510e5_c.jpg$_57a

16139499188_eb19790500_z.jpg

£18.99! I'm not too worried about the engraving at that price.

The throw is 8"

Very nice Ray, I know you like shiney things. What size is the socket? it looks quite small

It looks very much like my Laurence Hogg one, which is also quite short throw. I think they were based on a Harry Neal windlass.

Edited by David Schweizer

• 4 months later...

I have an almost identical one that is not marked and definitely not magnetic if anyone is interested?

I love to but.................

As well as the one pictured above this is some of my collection.

17740601138_6e503d34b3_z.jpgDSCF5808

I don't think I had better have any more.

I have an almost identical one that is not marked and definitely not magnetic if anyone is interested?

Are you suggesting you are prepared to sell it ?

If it is the same as the marked one I would be interested in buying it from you, providing the price is not silly captain.gif

Not sure I'd admit to the 5th and 7th from the left!

All part of life's rich pattern.

Dave I've also got this:

17940078965_121688ed88_z.jpgDSCF1865

From The Teddesley Boat Company. I bought it, because for me, it had an ugly attractiveness about it.

Edited by Ray T