Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

.............and the back end should be named Achilles Heel.

Boom! boom!

From memory I think not a lot of Achilles ended up in this boat.

43 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Was  it the butty which used to be on the offside moorings above Cassio Bridge lock? 

Achilles used to belong to Birmingham and Midland and was moored in Gas Street basin. 

12 hours ago, magnetman said:

Was  it the butty which used to be on the offside moorings above Cassio Bridge lock? 

I have a vague memory that was called RAVEN, full length IIRC. Doubtful that was its original name, and that was in the mid 1980's.

3 hours ago, Derek R. said:

I have a vague memory that was called RAVEN, full length IIRC. Doubtful that was its original name, and that was in the mid 1980's.

It was called Raven and it (correction) was cut possibly by Roger Farrington at Braun St On or maybe someone else. 

Not sure if it is this one though. 

Edited by magnetman

28 minutes ago, magnetman said:

It was called Raven and it was cut by Roger Farrington at Braun St On. Not sure if it is this one though. 

It’s not. As I mentioned earlier, Achilles was a butty owned by Birmingham & Midland in Gas Street. It went from them to Roger at Braunston who then cut it in two. 

Raven (the name given to it by Willow Wren) was another butty and had a full length cabin fitted but I forget its original name and was moored outside Roger’s yard at one point but I’m pretty sure it never got cut in two by him as I saw it still intact somewhere else afterwards. 

Edited to add: Raven was originally the GUCCC butty Hydrus. 

21348283434_acce9891f9_o.thumb.jpeg.cb7322ad48792dc5aff1144799d1d97a.jpeg

Edited by IanM
Picture added.
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, IanM said:

Raven (the name given to it by Willow Wren) was another butty and had a full length cabin fitted but I forget its original name and was moored outside Roger’s yard at one point but I’m pretty sure it never got cut in two by him as I saw it still intact somewhere else afterwards. 

I'm not sure this is correct - I don't think HYDRUS was ever a Willow Wren boat.
I think it was a BW boat that was sold directly by them into private ownership, then converted.

1 hour ago, IanM said:

It’s not. As I mentioned earlier, Achilles was a butty owned by Birmingham & Midland in Gas Street. It went from them to Roger at Braunston who then cut it in two. 

21348283434_acce9891f9_o.thumb.jpeg.cb7322ad48792dc5aff1144799d1d97a.jpeg

I have corrected my post. 

I think Hydrus is in two parts with the front half made into a motor with a new riveted stern and a wooden back cabin for authenticity. 

It was mentioned on this thread a while ago as being for sale. 

3 hours ago, magnetman said:

I have corrected my post. 

I think Hydrus is in two parts with the front half made into a motor with a new riveted stern and a wooden back cabin for authenticity. 

It was mentioned on this thread a while ago as being for sale. 

Is this Hydrus/ part of her? pictured at the arm on the Stockton flight , Warwick flyboats last November. Perhaps it’s Hydra, didn’t get my phone out fast enough to catch her name. Nice looking boat. 

IMG_8719.thumb.jpeg.9c12aa1f7795d8cae2036890a63d0f93.jpeg

Edited by Stroudwater1

4 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I'm not sure this is correct - I don't think HYDRUS was ever a Willow Wren boat.
I think it was a BW boat that was sold directly by them into private ownership, then converted.

Indeed.  It was sold to L B Faulkner of Leighton Buzzard by GUCCC (when it was renamed Raven) and then became one of the few boats to be bought back by BW for operation in the north west.  It has now been rebuilt extremely well and extremely expensively into a full length converted motor boat and is at Brinklow.  I don’t think the butty stub end survived.

Paul

4 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

3 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Is this Hydrus/ part of her? pictured at the arm on the Stockton flight , Warwick flyboats last November. Perhaps it’s Hydra, didn’t get my phone out fast enough to catch her name. Nice looking boat. 

IMG_8719.thumb.jpeg.9c12aa1f7795d8cae2036890a63d0f93.jpeg

Hydra

• Greenie 2

Thanks Gents, IanM's image of RAVEN outside the Braunston shed is how I recalled it when used as a live-aboard above Cassio.

Would I be right in thinking it had an engine in what was the back cabin?

And new top 'plank' both sides welded just above the top guard, so no rivets left along the gunwale angle. Fitted out back cabin, but no pictures. And engineless, yet photographed on the River Nene without a motor or tow line in evidence?

3 hours ago, DShK said:

They really did just rip out all the original knees and put in box steel in their places, eh

Looks like it. Not exactly sympathetic...

HNBC page claims she was motorized (as Kidsgrove), maybe stripped out during the latest rebuild or surely they'd have mentioned it!

6 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Lordy!  Is it really so much hard work to understand the history? It's not a Northwich Butty, Small or otherwise.

(being naive as usual) Is the argument that a day boat isn't a butty? In later working life and as she is now, with a cabin on, describing her as a butty seems reasonable to me.

Built at Northwich seems correct?

Obviously "Small" is nonsense for a non-GU boat.

Edited by Francis Herne

On 13/04/2024 at 17:10, Derek R. said:

Thanks Gents, IanM's image of RAVEN outside the Braunston shed is how I recalled it when used as a live-aboard above Cassio.

Would I be right in thinking it had an engine in what was the back cabin?

I'm pretty sure it was motorised as it had anti ventilation plates welded on the sides at the waterline. 

7 hours ago, Francis Herne said:

(being naive as usual) Is the argument that a day boat isn't a butty? In later working life and as she is now, with a cabin on, describing her as a butty seems reasonable to me.

Built at Northwich seems correct?

Obviously "Small" is nonsense for a non-GU boat.

That sounds about right to me....

3 hours ago, magnetman said:

I'm pretty sure it was motorised as it had anti ventilation plates welded on the sides at the waterline. 

I take it you mean anti-cavitation plates. 😉