Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I'm assuming that one of the most "wrong" things about France's cabin is that it is (I'm guessing), all steel.

PB refers to Chertsey, where the same applies.

I would say that the vast majority of ex-working boats make some concession to replace parts that would previously been in wood with steel alternatives - "Sickle" certainly does, having (for example) steel coamings and cants instead of wooden ones, although most of Sickle's cabin would originally have been steel, so that is largely still "correct".

I'm not enough of an expert on Josher cabins to know if a tumblehome is right or wrong however - they all look horribly "boxy" to me compared to a nice shaped Grang Union one! :lol:

The thread doubtless started with one member pointing out interesting old boats for sale on Apollo Duck; then other members added new ones as they appeared, and so it went on. AD is, to my knowledge, the largest web site for advertising narrowboats, so it stands to reason that a large proportion of boats offered for sale will be shown on there. CWF does sometimes spotlight boats for sale on eBay, or from individual brokers, on other threads.

SEO? Senior Executive Officer? I don't know who runs it, except that the company is called Santa Monica Airlines but is not an airline!

The Items For Sale And Wanted section is specifically for members' sales and wants, not for those of external companies.

I hope that clarifies the situation for you.

Edited by Athy

Capture_zps050bdba2.jpg

Is there, I wonder, a picture of France from the 30s? The tumblehome on the present day France is very different from that of most other joshers of that period.

I can't believe that there wasn't a great deal of research before deciding to rebuild France with the straight sides.

eta: the degree of tumblehome is determined by the shape of the cabin frames. I wonder if these are the original ones, or whether they too have been replaced.

Edited by koukouvagia
  • Greenie 1

The thread doubtless started with one member pointing out interesting old boats for sale on Apollo Duck; then other members added new ones as they appeared, and so it went on. AD is, to my knowledge, the largest web site for advertising narrowboats, so it stands to reason that a large proportion of boats offered for sale will be shown on there. CWF does sometimes spotlight boats for sale on eBay, or from individual brokers, on other threads.

SEO? Senior Executive Officer? I don't know who runs it, except that the company is called Santa Monica Airlines but is not an airline!

The Items For Sale And Wanted section is specifically for members' sales and wants, not for those of external companies.

I hope that clarifies the situation for you.

SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) ;)

No you didn't, you said "geeky computer jargon"

I find that insulting.

Do you?

Are you a computer or jargon?

Is describing something that you say the same as insulting you personally?

I suppose the originator of the abbreviation could find it mildly irritating. Did you invent the phrase or are you feeling insulted on somebody else's behalf?

As someone who has frequently been called a geek (as opposed to being accused of using a "geeky" phrase)I don't find it insulting at all as it is almost always used by someone who believes I am more intelligent than them and are using it as either a compliment or a defence mechanism.

Perhaps someone describing a phrase I use as geeky might make me feel differently...I'll have to think about that for a moment <pauses for a moment to think about it> nope, still not feeling insulted.

No you didn't, you said "geeky computer jargon"

I find that insulting.

Oh deary me. I went out of my way to provide a full and clear answer to a question which you asked. I don't expect a medal or undying gratitude, but courtesy might not be beyond you - though actually it does appear to be in this instance. Run away and play, geeky boy.

Edited by Athy

Now, the thrust of my enquiry is this -

I see many links on forum posts inviting members to make a financial contribution in support of the forum. It seems to me that the value of the ‘linkbacks’ to appollo duck are quite valuable ...to appollo duck.

Is that not worth something to Canalworld. Many web site owners would pay very high prices for a highly relevant linkback!

That might be the subject of a new topic.

It was motorised in the 1930s, by Yarwoods, and I doubt that you could tell the difference between one of the boats they motorised and a purpose-built motor boat unless you are a really geeky rivet counter.

Tim

And even then Yarwoods were incapable of biulding two boats the same. When Bison and Crane were on the dock together at Stockton there were noticable differences. As Tim says France was motorised by Yarwoods along with a number of other horse boats as part of FMC's expansion in the same way that the steamers were all converted to motors.

Lovely boat with a cracking engine.

Redeye

It seems to me that the value of the ‘linkbacks’ to appollo duck are quite valuable ...to appollo duck.

Is 'linkbacks' a geeky computer phrase?wink.png

I think the answer to your question is that this website is free (and the owner is determined that it remain so) and providing links to stuff for sale is of greater value to its members than it is to the websites concerned.

It is inevitable that the "duck" and Ebay are referred to the most as they are the most popular sites for our kind of tat.

The cabin is quite square. The original one was too. Far more so than most other joshers.

I'm not enough of an expert on Josher cabins to know if a tumblehome is right or wrong however - they all look horribly "boxy" to me compared to a nice shaped Grang Union one! laugh.png

Middle Northwich in particular!!!

As Tim says France was motorised by Yarwoods along with a number of other horse boats as part of FMC's expansion in the same way that the steamers were all converted to motors.

Redeye

Not strictly true as the twelve F.M.C. Ltd. horse boats converted by 'Yarwoods' were fitted with new counter sterns and new cabins so the structure of the boat was completely altered, whereas the F.M.C. Ltd. steamers already had counter sterns when built so only required a Bolinder and some cabin alterations.

The cabin is quite square. The original one was too. Far more so than most other joshers.

Middle Northwich in particular!!!

Middle Northwich cabin is, from what I can recall because I took careful measurements from both at one time, dimensionally almost identical to Large Northwich. There might be an inch or so difference in height, can't remember now, but the form is just the same

The Large hull is much uglier, though!

<DUCKS>

As Tim and the wise Owl say the cabin is far too boxy with little or no tumblehome. Looks more obvious in the flesh. Alan also makes a good point althpough you would have to ne mad to do the cabin in wood unless you are Michael Pinnock and unfortunately I am not either of them smile.png

Mark says the original was similarly boxy, which is interesting. Did they have an off day at Yarwoods (presuming that at least enough of the original steel engine room remained to base that on), or was there a particular reason, I wonder?

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Now, the thrust of my enquiry is this -

I see many links on forum posts inviting members to make a financial contribution in support of the forum. It seems to me that the value of the ‘linkbacks’ to appollo duck are quite valuable ...to appollo duck.

Is that not worth something to Canalworld. Many web site owners would pay very high prices for a highly relevant linkback!

That might be the subject of a new topic.

Those 'linkbacks' are put there by the members themselves, like I did

No bloody way do I want advertising on this forum!

Richard

As Tim and the wise Owl say the cabin is far too boxy with little or no tumblehome. Looks more obvious in the flesh. Alan also makes a good point althpough you would have to ne mad to do the cabin in wood unless you are Michael Pinnock and unfortunately I am not either of them smile.png

I used to think that until I bought Badger. The cabin is wood, has been on the boat for years and, apart from one 18" length of the recessed panel edging (now fixed), is in perfect, waterproof condition.

George ex nb Alton retired

France

9202574548_072cb8ee31_z.jpg

Holland

9199792225_c7c778bd23_z.jpg

The cabin's aren't that different but France's does look more 'boxy'.

Just had a look at your flickr pictures Ian, some lovely pics there, I may ask to use one of yours of my boat if you dont mind with a copyright of course?

Steve