Brownie points for Mrs Smelly

Chop!

Featured Posts

I'd like to heap a bucketful of brownie points on Tim (Mrsmelly) who kindly took the time to come and help Joe's family to find and secure his boat. :cheers:

No-one had visited it since he was found dead in the canal at Crick.

We found that the batteries still had some life, the bilge pump still working and the water taps were still working.

But, even adding a jump start pack we couldn't get any ignition lights or any life out of the Vetus engine and panel.

It was, unsurprisingly, completely iced in, so it will be a while before we will be able to move it to brokerage, but at least we know it's not sinking.

Gwyl Saintes Dwynwen DDa! :wub: (Happy Welsh version of St Valentine's Day) By the way.

Edited by Chop!

It's things Like this that prove that despite what some say there are an abundance of good people out there.

All the forum members I have met have been ace and all the people I have met on the cut have never been anything but helpful

Good on u Tim

Well done to Chop for raising it (groan) and Tim for getting stuck in.

:cheers:

Oi! There was none of that monkey business, too bloody cold!

And forgot to mention Neil (who found Joe's body) and who has started a re-fitting business by ABNB (just down from the Moorings pub) was a diamond geezer, it turns out that he's been keeping an eye on the boat, although, without keys, he couldn't do anything more, he really tried his best to get her started, but it was difficult lifting snow-laden engine boards and trying to figure out the Heath Robinson-esque wiring.

I've tried to find the name of his business to big him up, he seemed a genuine bloke who would do anything to help people.

Edited by Chop!

I'd like to heap a bucketful of brownie points on Tim (Mrsmelly) who kindly took the time to come and help Joe's family to find and secure his boat. :cheers:

No-one had visited it since he was found dead in the canal at Crick.

We found that the batteries still had some life, the bilge pump still working and the water taps were still working.

But, even adding a jump start pack we couldn't get any ignition lights or any life out of the Vetus engine and panel.

It was, unsurprisingly, completely iced in, so it will be a while before we will be able to move it to brokerage, but at least we know it's not sinking.

Gwyl Saintes Dwynwen DDa! :wub: (Happy Welsh version of St Valentine's Day) By the way.

:blush:

And forgot to mention Neil (who found Joe's body) and who has started a re-fitting business by ABNB (just down from the Moorings pub) was a diamond geezer, it turns out that he's been keeping an eye on the boat, although, without keys, he couldn't do anything more, he really tried his best to get her started, but it was difficult lifting snow-laden engine boards and trying to figure out the Heath Robinson-esque wiring.

I've tried to find the name of his business to big him up, he seemed a genuine bloke who would do anything to help people.

Neil is indeed a diamond geezer...whilst he has just moved to the Boatshed next to ABNB he was previously at Welford Wharf for many many years doing everything from New builds to smaller jobs. Think he is working on a website etc. He is the type of person that makes me proud to be part of the boating community!

Cheers

Gareth

Well done to all. It's so truly heartening in this far from perfect world to read of things like this, and it's a measure of how the canal community in particular, generally speaking pulls together to help each other out. The late Joe sounded like such a lovely fella and even after his unfortunate passing, folk are still looking after him.