Why 50 foot?

jodansgang

Featured Posts

Good evening everyone. We are complete newbies and therefore we make our apologies up front. Without beating about the bush i'll get straight to it. We are about to use all our life savings in purchasing a 45' narrow beam semi trad cruiser for the purpose of living on board, yes LIVING on. So far, of all the kind people we've spoken to, at marinas, along the towpath etc most, infact all, look at us in complete disbelief when we tell them of our intentions and indeed most actually comment "no, you need at least 50 feet" So, apart from the obvious, can anyone shed any light on "why 50 foot"

We have a nine year old and a 12 year old.........oh and a Jack Russell.

Hello, and Merry Christmas to all too.

Our boat is a 50ft cruiser stern with about 45ft of living space. It suits us fine, would I want bigger? Not yet, but if I have kids at some point then we would go for a fatty.

DeanS (forum member) would be a good bloke to talk to, he has lived in a narrowboat with eight hundred people for the last year...

Ultimately though, if you think you can do it then go for it and enjoy your adventure!

Have you spent time - an extended period of time - as a family (and a dog) on a 45' boat before you splash out?

Hi there, good question, honest answer, nope. But we have spent the last 12 years circumnavigating the uk in an old Volkswagen.

Have you spent time - an extended period of time - as a family (and a dog) on a 45' boat before you splash out?

Yes, a 45 feet cruiser stern would give you about 180 - 200 square feet of accommodation, including bath, toilet and cooking facilities.

OK for two close adults, but a family!

I'd say 50 feet would be tight even with a trad stern.

We have a 45 foot boat but it has a few "space saving" features - a wet room (shower is the entire bathroom) and a cross double bed. Still though, it only has one 'social' area - the front lounge. Get to something like 55-57 feet and you can have another area somewhere else, eg desk/computer, or a separate dinette, which is handy.

Anything over your presently intended 45 foot boat will be an improvement in your living comfort. Maybe not worth aiming for 50 foot specifically though. I'm guessing this was only mentioned as a recommended minimum for your intended lifestyle.

You can travel almost anywhere on the system with a 57 foot narrowboat, which is hence a popular length (60 feet max to comfortably do the Leeds and Liverpool).

As your children become teenagers, they will need some space of their own. Teenagers are difficult enough without being on top of each other all the time.

We had a 50' for extended cruising for two of us, but extended it to 58' as life was too cramped when we had family and friends with us.

Bear in mind also that most people don't want to have to make up beds every night. It's OK for a holiday, but a pain for longer.

Richard

Good evening everyone. We are complete newbies and therefore we make our apologies up front. Without beating about the bush i'll get straight to it. We are about to use all our life savings in purchasing a 45' narrow beam semi trad cruiser for the purpose of living on board, yes LIVING on. So far, of all the kind people we've spoken to, at marinas, along the towpath etc most, infact all, look at us in complete disbelief when we tell them of our intentions and indeed most actually comment "no, you need at least 50 feet" So, apart from the obvious, can anyone shed any light on "why 50 foot"

We have a nine year old and a 12 year old.........oh and a Jack Russell.

Hello, and Merry Christmas to all too.

First up is it a semi-trad or a cruiser? Can't really be both. I live alone on a 55' cruiser stern NB and its fine but I'd struggle for space if I had to share. 2 adults, 2 children and a dog sounds incredibly cramped unless you; A. Never, ever argue. B. have very few possessions. If so, good luck to you.

Edited by Dave_P

When we were boat shopping for a liveaboard 50 foot was our minimum based on advice from other boaters. We didn't expect to get anything bigger at the price we could afford, but lucked into a 57 footer. There's just the two of us and a small dog and we do struggle to find places we can store everything, even after culling our possessions to the barest minimum.

Saying that clever design can make much more of the space available. I would never say "no, that's too small a space to live in" because everyone's needs are different.

Best of luck with whatever you decide on :cheers:

Both boys, both very different from one another, but boys none the less. We both work, they both attend school. Surely it's how you use the space on board ! One trip to ikea would have us all living out of a single kitchen drawer!

I don't know, we don't own the boat yet, the owner has advertised it as both semi trad and cruiser but then again it also has a diesil engine! As we're complete nuggets we haven't mastered the lingo yet.

Both boys, both very different from one another, but boys none the less. We both work, they both attend school. Surely it's how you use the space on board ! One trip to ikea would have us all living out of a single kitchen drawer!

I don't know, we don't own the boat yet, the owner has advertised it as both semi trad and cruiser but then again it also has a diesil engine! As we're complete nuggets we haven't mastered the lingo yet.

Exactly! Like I said in my post above it depends how clever you are with the space.

I'm sitting in the lounge of a 45ft cruiser stern. I don't think a semi trad has any more space dwn below.

I would suggest that there is no way husband, wife and 2 kids could live in the space I can see, and have any quality of life. All 4 of you would be cramped in the saloon all evening, then two would sleep in the saloon, and two would go to the bedroom. There is nowhere else to be. Another 5ft wouldn't make a great deal of difference.

I've been on a 57ft boat, and you would be able to have a couple more spaces in the extra 12ft, which would make a great difference, and give you a chance.

Having said that, if you've lived as a family in a Volkswagen for over a decade, you might be delighted with the amount of space in a 45ft boat. Given this experience, you are probably in the best position to make a decision.

Good Luck!

• Greenie 1

Hi & Welcome.

Now how much bigger would the boat you have seen, be over the Volkswagen?

Please do look into where you would moor the boat before spending any cash.

The big advice is.......get the boat surveyed...the surveyor(who is paid by you) is the only person on your side who is skilled at finding faults, and telling you, what they will cost to put right!

Good Luck

Bod

We have only hired a 45ft boat and don't live on one. Two adults and one JRT.

We had it for two weeks and it was brilliant. It was a semi-trad too. Squeezing another two kids in would have been tight, very tight I would say. Living aboard it with your requirements would I say be very very challenging.

You may be wise to consider a wide beam of the same length.

Hi & Welcome.

Now how much bigger would the boat you have seen, be over the Volkswagen?

Please do look into where you would moor the boat before spending any cash.

The big advice is.......get the boat surveyed...the surveyor(who is paid by you) is the only person on your side who is skilled at finding faults, and telling you, what they will cost to put right!

Good Luck

Bod

Hi, yes we have already obtained a mooring with all the facilities, not too far from school and work. I don't know about the size differential between the boat and the bug.

We are a family of 2 adults and 3 boys living permanently on a boat. We lived in a 57ft for 1 year. At the end of the year, we decided the boating life was something we wanted to do long term, but we also realised that a 57ft narrowboat wasnt big enough for us, so we upgraded to a widebeam. (see my blog). We also previously spent 12 months in a campervan in Europe and the UK. The difference is that kids get bigger. Maybe you should do exactly what we did and get a widebeam shell and fit it out. Message me, and we can tell you what our budget was etc.

Hi, yes we have already obtained a mooring with all the facilities, not too far from school and work. I don't know about the size differential between the boat and the bug.

Have a read of "narrow margin" by Marie Brown. , good luck

When I was out on my hunt for a liveaboard boat, for just myself I viewed various sized boats, some trad, some cruiser stern and after viewing a 45ft cruiser stern thought it really needs to be 50ft. Viewed a 50ft trad and bought it :cheers:

I was originally thinking 38-40ft :blink: but soon realised what suited me when viewing.

Even though my boat is 50ft there is no way I myself would want to have 2 kids and 2 adults onboard, really need an extra seperate bedroom for the kids.

My salon and galley area is spacious but I think an extra 7ft would make 2 seperate bedrooms. I would probably add a new section for a bedroom area and let kids have the original rear bedroom, change the bathroom to a walk through and adults have the new bedroom, then kitchen and salon. Whb in kids bedroom.

I think your ideal boat is 57ft minimum with 2 seperate bedrooms. Possibly an ex hire boat?

James :cheers:

Edited by canals are us?

We are a family of 2 adults and 3 boys living permanently on a boat. We lived in a 57ft for 1 year. At the end of the year, we decided the boating life was something we wanted to do long term, but we also realised that a 57ft narrowboat wasnt big enough for us, so we upgraded to a widebeam. (see my blog). We also previously spent 12 months in a campervan in Europe and the UK. The difference is that kids get bigger. Maybe you should do exactly what we did and get a widebeam shell and fit it out. Message me, and we can tell you what our budget was etc.

Hi there, DeanS, sounds great, once I figure out how this forum works (first time forum virgins and definitely absolutely not members of face thingy or twatter book) we'll take you up on that. However may I ask a question of your first year aboard the 57, did you guys outgrow the space or was the space never really big enough to start with. If it was the latter then what made you decide that the boating life was for you? Sorry for all the stupid questions.

Welcome.

As a would be live aboard who would also be putting my all into the venture I was bit concerned about your post #14 about lack of knowledge of you proposed home & 'boaty jargon' ,also known as facts, & the why and wherefore of living aboard but it seems you are more sorted than that post would at first suggest. If you have a mooring would it be possible to up size / add a teenage anex in future

Good luck with your venture and make good use of this forum. There are some very well informed people here & their knowledge & experience could prevent you doing silly things. (like wot I nearly did)

taslim.