Help please, I am really stuck

Alanji

Featured Posts

I have spent most of the last two days on a steep learning curve searching this forum and the internet and did not have enough hair to tear out to start with!

The boat I am about to buy has a Sterling 1600w inverter (6 years old).

I want to install a washing machine. I will not be on shore power.

The only compact I have found below 1600w is the Candy 100F Aquamatic rated at 1300w. Will this run on the existing inverter? Any alternatives?

If I need to install a newer, larger (and very expensive) inverter I reluctantly will, but then I would choose a different, better washing machine.

What do I do?

Any help/suggestions much appreciated.

Inverter will need to be pure sine wave.

You can reduce the power the washingmacine needs by filling with hot rather than cold water then the heater doesnt come on.

Do they still make the candy?

You could buy a 2kw genset and use that for the WM

many ways to skin acat

I had the same problem. I eventually brought a bigger inverter (3kw). However, as previously mentioned - we now fill our Zanussi Compact 1300 watt machine with the temp of water we want and wash everything on a 40c wash cycle(prevents thermostate from kicking in)

We also use a twin tub for a while - bloody good machines but limited on how much you can put in on a single wash.

I had the same problem. I eventually brought a bigger inverter (3kw). However, as previously mentioned - we now fill our Zanussi Compact 1300 watt machine with the temp of water we want and wash everything on a 40c wash cycle(prevents thermostate from kicking in) so didn't really need a bigger inverter (2kw).

We also use a twin tub for a while - bloody good machines but limited on how much you can put in on a single wash.

Edited by wiccan

We faced a similar dilemma as you, and took the decision to buy the very best/most reliable we could - on the principle that we (hoped) we would not have to replace in our lifetime - - (OK - so I'm a glass-half-full lad!) :closedeyes:

We have a 3.5Kw Travelpower alternator, Victron 3000 Combi and run a Miele washer dryer

Yes! - - I know! - - they're expensive

But boy - - do they work well!

So very well

Edited by Grace & Favour

Rub-a-Dub-Dub. Rubbing boards and the sink are much much easier on the pocket don't forget, it will keep you fit, your nails spotlessly clean, and think, none of all the frustrations and expense of trying to power the thing with electricity with the added danger of shocks, keep breaking down, leaks, bunged up filters ect and all that carry on. Not much to go wrong either with a rubbing board. Also easy to make from a slab of plywood with strips of quadrant beading glued on at about inch spacings and all varnished up nicely. A joy to use, behold and all your own work. :mellow:

For a washing machine? Really?

I think you will get away with a cheapy simulated sine wave from eBay.

Our little Candy goes mental if we try to run it on anything other than a pure sine wave genny/inverter. Can't speak for other makes.

Well I bought a "pure" sine wave for about £150 for a 2KW inverter - I don't think it is pure sine wave like the beautiful £1500 victron which I foolishly sold with my last boat, but it is not square or modified sine either, I think it is a "simulated pure" or something where the pattern is simulated by increasing or reducing the voltage.

I haven't tried a washing machine, but it runs phone chargers, laptop, vacuum cleaner, and microwave which traditionally give these things trouble.

It is certainly possible that a sophisticated washing machine has more computing power and is more prissy than my laptop, in which case maybe get a twin tub as Bod suggested, or spend a couple of thousand on a decent inverter.

I suppose I'll have to lug the washing machine onto the boat now... (-:

For a washing machine? Really?

WM timers use the frequency of the mains supplied if its not PSW then they dont work.

Just as microwaves with flash digital timers also fail on MSW inverters.

If you can find an older compact machine without a Printed Circuit Board you will be able to run it off a quasi invertor.

Be very careful of the "cheap" invertors from china, I managed to kill mine in under 6 months!

As mentioned, the heater is the thing that will pull the most power, as with the element on a electric kettle.

If you can happily run all the other electrical equipment off the unvertor you have now, it may be worth keeping that and geting a machine that wiil run off it, at least till the invertor needs replacng.

You can also plumb the machine into the calorifior, to save power but need to be aware of how hot your water is, or you can shrink clothes.

The rick with boats is to sometimes look at things out of the box, there are usually ways round most problems, good luck

Thanks for all the replies. I am considering a twin tub but would obviously prefer the convenience of an automatic. Also not an obvious place to put a twin tub. I think the answer will have to be buy the Candy and try it on the existing inverter. If it will not work then I will have to upgrade.

Our little Candy goes mental if we try to run it on anything other than a pure sine wave genny/inverter. Can't speak for other makes.

Which Candy do you have - I was looking at the 100F Aquamatic. If that is what you have would you (or anyone else) be kind enough to measure the depth required including hoses - I think the manufacturers tend to quote the size of the actual machine. Also what inverter are you using?

Almost certainly not.

If you can find an older compact machine without a Printed Circuit Board you will be able to run it off a quasi invertor.

Not necessarily.

Thanks for all the replies. I am considering a twin tub but would obviously prefer the convenience of an automatic. Also not an obvious place to put a twin tub. I think the answer will have to be buy the Candy and try it on the existing inverter. If it will not work then I will have to upgrade.

Might be too late by then. A lot of washing machines blow up on a modified sinewave inverter.

Edited by Gibbo

I think the answer will have to be buy the Candy and try it on the existing inverter. If it will not work then I will have to upgrade.

Might be too late by then. A lot of washing machines blow up on a modified sinewave inverter.

Thanks Gibbo. B****r. Looks like expensive plan B then.

Would I be correct in assuming that the inverter power must be higher than the amount required for the washing machine? And by how much?

Edit to add:

Just looked at specs for Victron Phoenix Inverter 12V 3000W 230V.

In my novice view this means I have 3kW of power. but specs say:

Cont. AC power at 25 °C (VA) (2)2000

Cont. power at 25 °C (W) 1600

Cont. power at 40 °C (W) 1450

Peak power (W) 4000

No mention of 3000!!!! Confused. How long does peak power last?

Edited again:

I phoned (retailer not Victron). Wrong figures were being quoted (I have now checked on Victron website):

It is 3000vA not watts.

Correct figures are:

3000vA

2500w

2200w

6000w

Edited by Alanji

Rub-a-Dub-Dub. Rubbing boards and the sink are much much easier on the pocket don't forget, it will keep you fit, your nails spotlessly clean, and think, none of all the frustrations and expense of trying to power the thing with electricity with the added danger of shocks, keep breaking down, leaks, bunged up filters ect and all that carry on. Not much to go wrong either with a rubbing board. Also easy to make from a slab of plywood with strips of quadrant beading glued on at about inch spacings and all varnished up nicely. A joy to use, behold and all your own work. :mellow:

I can see who doesn't do the washing in your household can't I?. Mind your approach could be good for anyone forming a skiffle group

I can see who doesn't do the washing in your household can't I?. Mind your approach could be good for anyone forming a skiffle group

My boathold you mean. I do do my washing in the sink with a homemade rubbing board and rinse it out in the river when its calm and not turbid with mud. Big stuff like bedding I take to the launderette. I'm still searching for a tea-chest to make a double-bass.

Thanks Gibbo. B****r. Looks like expensive plan B then.

Would I be correct in assuming that the inverter power must be higher than the amount required for the washing machine? And by how much?

Edit to add:

Just looked at specs for Victron Phoenix Inverter 12V 3000W 230V.

In my novice view this means I have 3kW of power. but specs say:

Cont. AC power at 25 °C (VA) (2)2000

Cont. power at 25 °C (W) 1600

Cont. power at 40 °C (W) 1450

Peak power (W) 4000

No mention of 3000!!!! Confused. How long does peak power last?

Edited again:

I phoned (retailer not Victron). Wrong figures were being quoted (I have now checked on Victron website):

It is 3000vA not watts.

Correct figures are:

3000vA

2500w

2200w

6000w

Although cribbed from the Sterling catalogue I quote this info taken from the various manufacturers specs:

Model--------------------------------------quoted power--continuous power at 40°C

============================================================

Victron Phoenix MultiPlus 12/3000/120---3000 watts-----------2200 watts

Mastervolt Mass Combi 12/2500-100-----2500 watts-----------Not stated

Sterling Pro CombiS or Q 12/2500-------2500 watts-----------2300 watts

Victron Quattro 12/5000/200--------------5000 watts-------12v/3000 watts

Sterling Pro CombiS 3500----------------3500 watts------------3300 watts

Needless to say the latter runs a Zanussi ZWC1301 with or without engine running and cold fill without issue.