ccers-CRT meeting.

jenlyn

Featured Posts

I'd say opinionated and somebody who is not afraid of expressing those opinions, he also doesn't default to petty 'schoolboy name calling'.

I always enjoy reading debates in which Mr.Mayall takes part, I agree with the above and would add that from my observations he is right far more often than wrong.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

• Greenie 2

But wrong!!!!!!!

If interpreting the law was as simple as black and white there would be no need for lawyers, courts or discussion.

Ask two economists for their opinion and you will receive three!

I like to hear different peoples opinions. I can then only blame myself if I take or heed bad advice.

A man who never made a mistake never made anything!

:cheers:

And i have say to that all the CCers that i know don't either.

With all due respect genuine CCs cant know what other boaters are up to because they are not in one place long enough. My partner and I regularly walk the towpaths, and we see the same boats moored up for weeks -even months sometimes. Its usually in rural places where there is road access.

You can easily see if they are registered as 'No Home Mooring' by looking at the code on the licence.

You can easily see if they are registered as 'No Home Mooring' by looking at the code on the licence.

I wasn't aware of that

- I wonder why all the furore on here the other week about those with-out a home mooring potentially having a different coloured licence - if they are distinguishable as such any way??? ( well to those that know 'code' that is)

this thread took longer to get down to the petty name calling than most so i guess it must have run its course

We've done very well recently I think. Anyway, I've removed quite a few posts, let's stay on topic. Let's keep it up! :cheers:

Edited by Lady Muck

I wasn't aware of that

- I wonder why all the furore on here the other week about those with-out a home mooring potentially having a different coloured licence - if they are distinguishable as such any way??? ( well to those that know 'code' that is)

BW-065-007

There you go, you know now.

I wasn't aware of that

You currently need to be at a distance where reading what is on the licence is required; not passing by the VM where you want to moor!!

Edited by PiRSqwared

You currently need to be at a distance where reading what is on the licence is required.

There must be more to life than examining other boats' licence discs, surely?

Perhaps there should be some easier means of identifying ccers, maybe a large cross painted on each cabin side and a cloth badge pinned to the ccers outer clothing?

There must be more to life than examining other boats' licence discs, surely?

Perhaps there should be some easier means of identifying ccers, maybe a large cross painted on each cabin side and a cloth badge pinned to the ccers outer clothing?

One would hope so!!

You currently need to be at a distance where reading what is on the licence is required; not passing by the VM where you want to moor!!

So you spot a boat on a VM and it has a licence easily distinguishable as a one with no mooring - what of it? If you were just passing how would you know how long it had been there?

Are boats with no home moorings not allowed to use VM's now?

Surely the proposed colour change is just to make CRT's staff's job easier?

Edited by The Dog House

So you spot a boat on a VM and it has a licence easily distinguishable as a one with no mooring - what of it? If you were just passing how would you know how long it had been there?

Got the old irony filter on today Martin? ;)

No, the point of the suggestion (more easily dinstinguishable licences) is that CCers are a problem and so need to more easily marginalised identified by proper boaters so that they can lock away all their valuables and dust down the family chastity belt.

Edited by PiRSqwared

Got the old irony filter on today Martin? ;)

No, the point of the suggestion (more easily dinstinguishable licences) is that CCers are a problem and so need to more easily marginalised identified by proper boaters so that they can lock away all their valuables and dust down the family chastity belt.

Probably

- but to be honest I possibly live a very sheltered boating existence, in that I never see or hear of any animosity towards CC'ers when out on the cut, I didn't know until today that you can (if you are so inclined) differentiate between a boat with a home mooring and one without (why would another boater want to do this anyway).

The only place I see and hear of animosity between the categories of boaters is on here -

The only place I see and hear of animosity between the categories of boaters is on here -

Generally my experience also while out on the cut (a different story some times when sociallising with one or two my fellow marina dwellers, but nothing outrageous)

Too many threads now running on similar topic.

CRT staff don't care what colour a licence is, because they apparently don't care if it is displayed at all.

Copied directly from what I just posted in a parallel thread.....

CRT's head of enforcement told us on Thursday they would like to move to a situation where there is no requirement to display licences. She says the actual licence plays no part whatsover in their checking process, provided the boats index number is independently displayed. All their systems work on index number, and they would prefer that that is all that can be seen on the boat.

A different coloured licence does make the boat stand out as a CCer which would likely be, but not necessarily, a liveaboard and containing more valuable stuff than the normal holiday boat. Might make it more vulnerable.

I think this system either existed or was proposed about ten years ago. I recall reading about it around the time we decided to buy our boat. It was either dropped or stopped.

What I don't see is why there should be any difference in mooring allowances dependant upon your boat use.

Edited to add, snap.

And then edited again to spell the first edited correctly.

Edited by Rich

The CRT Enforcement Officer doesn't know how long it has been there either, all he can do on his first visit is log it into his terminal. On his next visit he logs it again and up pops the information of how long he's been there, where his home mooring is, if any, the owners name, the name of his dog, etc. I don't see how a readily identifiable licence makes his job any easier. It just helps those other boaters who have some sort of axe to grind about CCers.

CRT say the proposals to limit the amount of days in any month/year that we can moor on VMs won't apply to Hire boats and Share Boats. The enforcement officer can easily identify a hire boat but not share boats. Unless it has changed since I had a share, they have the same licence as everyone else, and pay the same fee. Are they going to have a readily identifiable licence too. So already, there will be two rules. One for Hire boats and share boats and one for the rest of us, unless those with a home mooring are able to moor for more than 14 days in one area.

Regards

Pete

i think we need to join all these threads together.

The only purpose of the license now is to enable other boaters to report fellow boaters as everything is driven by the index number i believe. i think the requirement to display one should be stopped. However displaying the index number of the boat should be mandatory.

CRT say the proposals to limit the amount of days in any month/year that we can moor on VMs won't apply to Hire boats and Share Boats. The enforcement officer can easily identify a hire boat but not share boats. Unless it has changed since I had a share, they have the same licence as everyone else, and pay the same fee. Are they going to have a readily identifiable licence too. So already, there will be two rules. One for Hire boats and share boats and one for the rest of us, unless those with a home mooring are able to moor for more than 14 days in one area.

Regards

Pete

SWMBO and I each have a 50% share in my our boat. Guess I can give the v salute to those restrictions then!! :cheers:

Edited by PiRSqwared

i think the requirement to display one should be stopped. However displaying the index number of the boat should be mandatory.

I think I agree.

The only thing that went through my head about their "no need for the paper licence" idea is that it might be rather easier to fob them off by sharing the same index number between two boats than it could be to display the same physical pieces of paper on two different boats at the same time.

i think the requirement to display one should be stopped. However displaying the index number of the boat should be mandatory.

I agree. The licence disc is completely redundant now.

I think I agree.

The only thing that went through my head about their "no need for the paper licence" idea is that it might be rather easier to fob them off by sharing the same index number between two boats

Isn't scanning a licence disc just as easy as replicating an index number?

When BW failed to send me a licence disc one year the lovely Charlene, who worked in the Stop House, copied somebody else's disc, and DTPed my boat name and index number onto it.

I still didn't display it though. ;)

It is easy to monitor boat movements. All that is required is a mandatory 8ft by 2ft index number painted on the roof, monitored by satellite. White on any dark background.

This will of course pose problems for those who carry complete dead forests or half a coal mine on the roof. Small roof boats might be more of a problem.

Occasionally the odd police vehicle will find itself with a VM overstaying charge but that should be easy to sort out.

CRT say the proposals to limit the amount of days in any month/year that we can moor on VMs won't apply to Hire boats and Share Boats. The enforcement officer can easily identify a hire boat but not share boats. Unless it has changed since I had a share, they have the same licence as everyone else, and pay the same fee.

IIRC, a few years ago BW tried to charge share boats Business fees, and eventually backed down.

They end position was that "private" shared ownership with a nominated individual paying the licence, and no company branding were allowed to buy a private licence.

If the boat was signwritten in the name of a share management company or the owners couldn't agree on a nominee to be responsible for licencing, it was to be licenced as a hire boat.

I suspect that if a distinction is to be drawn on revisiting the same VM then that distinction will be drawn based on whether a shared boat pays a hire fee or not (otherwise there are going to be a LOT of shared ownership boats on the system)

That's a good point, you have to stay there for 14 days yourself to see if they move.