IWA Campaign Against Threat To Red Diesel

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

I don't think he has My link

I have re-sent my email to his Constituency addreess, and it hasn't been bounced back yet, It must just be his Brusells address that does not work. Mind you the web site is rubbish, constantly freezing and going slow.

Edited by David Schweizer

I think we've tried that one, and people we've tried it on have tended to think not. Forcing our ways on other people.

If you think people are so easily forced into one mould I would have to beg to differ.

You either have a very fertile imagination, or an inability to comprehend ordinary English.

I neither said nor implied anything about forcing anything onto anybody. In fact, quite the opposite is the case. I simply think of myself as a member of the human species first, and as British a long way afterwards.

You either have a very fertile imagination, or an inability to comprehend ordinary English.

I neither said nor implied anything about forcing anything onto anybody. In fact, quite the opposite is the case. I simply think of myself as a member of the human species first, and as British a long way afterwards.

I know you weren't thinking of taking over the world. But, you could have left out the petty nationalism jibe and reference to dictatorship from your post, and the 'patriotism is the last resort (refuge) of a scoundrel'.

Wishing to keep/have self determination is not rampant right wingism or jingoism. You twisted my point.

Fair-game rules applied.

Edited by Higgs

I see myself as

Northumbrian first

British second

English third

And it is right that the future is union, and till all the countries in the EEC realise that there only can be one government, one system and one currency and that national governments must become regional councils, the EEC will never work.

Well lookie here!

http://m.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/nov/03/alex-salmond-scottish-independence?cat=politics&type=article

No fast route into the EU for you, Mr Salmond...

Or for the opposite view (from a EU official)

BBC link

Looks like we won't even have to apply!

BBC link

Why pass up the chance to get out of this bankrupt union? The words of Graucho Marx come to mind "I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me". No doubt someone will now come in to say he never said it or I have misquoted, but you get my drift.

George ex nb Alton retired

BBC link

I think that shows that when the membership rules were drafted, nobody considered something like this might happen, so the rules can be interpreted to fit whatever bias the interpreter holds. The Spanish & Belgians (and maybe others) really don't want to see it happen in the UK, in case their own natives get too restless, so their interpretation will make it as difficult as possible.

Tim

I know you weren't thinking of taking over the world. But, you could have left out the petty nationalism jibe and reference to dictatorship from your post, and the 'patriotism is the last resort (refuge) of a scoundrel'.

Wishing to keep/have self determination is not rampant right wingism or jingoism. You twisted my point.

Fair-game rules applied.

OK. I see where you are coming from. My comments were really aimed at certain other people, and I shouldn't have included them in my reply to you.

I think that shows that when the membership rules were drafted, nobody considered something like this might happen, so the rules can be interpreted to fit whatever bias the interpreter holds. The Spanish & Belgians (and maybe others) really don't want to see it happen in the UK, in case their own natives get too restless, so their interpretation will make it as difficult as possible.

Tim

Yup. Let us not forget the Basques.

Or the Welsh! ;)

I see myself as

Northumbrian first

British second

English third

And it is right that the future is union, and till all the countries in the EEC realise that there only can be one government, one system and one currency and that national governments must become regional councils, the EEC will never work.

Sieg heil mein Fuhrer.

Tim

So, let me get this right, the Scots ( or at least, some of them ) want home rule but also want to be ruled from Brussels? :huh:

Come to think of it, the people of Ireland have fought for independence and achieved it for Eire, only to join the E.U.

The E.U. has 26 member states, soon to be 27 with other states wanting to be a part of it.

If it's such a bad thing, as some here seem to believe, are the governments of all these countries fools?

Keith

I see myself as

Northumbrian first

British second

English third

You are right.

It was abolished in 2009, so there is little chance of it working now.

ETA: But I accept your general drift.

Edited by George94

Greenie awarded. Just one valid point though even though we have ended up with the "EU " we originally joined " Press gang style " a common market, nowt to do with the pile of poo we now find ourselves in where as a for instance some pratt on the european continent can overthrow decisions made in a British court of law, and thats just for starters :angry:

Tim

I agree the EU today is a very different animal than the "common market" that we were once conned into joining. We can thank "four days in bed" Ted (Heath) for that.

I agree the EU today is a very different animal than the "common market" that we were once conned into joining. We can thank "four days in bed" Ted (Heath) for that.

EU, EEC, EFTA, BENELUX.......its all been a cunning plan by SMERSH for world domination.....and they're WINNING! :huh:

Just to get back on topic, I've had a reply from one of my MEPs:

Thank you for your email concerning the proposal for a Directive on recreational craft and personal watercraft. Please note that I also reply on behalf of Malcolm Harbour MEP and Anthea McIntyre MEP as I take responsibility for constituent enquiries from your area to Conservative MEPs in the West Midlands. The amendment which calls for EU watercraft licences, regular technical checks and discouraging the use of agricultural diesel, was made by a well known Dutch MEP who wanted to draw attention to these issues, and we are well aware of the problems this might cause, even if the proposed wording would have no legal force. The Conservative position is that the Directive should not include any such recommendations, because addressing these issues does not fall within the EU's responsibilities. We will be working with the UK Government to ensure that this text is removed from the recreational crafts Directive during final negotiations.

BBC link

Hmm, who to believe? an Honorary Director General of the European Commission or the President of the European Council?

That's not a rhetorical question, I genuinely have no idea as to who outranks who... perhaps they could invent special uniforms to go along with their job titles? :)

Hmm, who to believe? an Honorary Director General of the European Commission or the President of the European Council?

That's not a rhetorical question, I genuinely have no idea as to who outranks who... perhaps they could invent special uniforms to go along with their job titles? :)

Two people with a greater insight of the structure of the EU than we have. Two contrary opinions. If they're mixed up - is it any wonder many others are by the existence of the EU.

Edited by Higgs

Back to the OP -

Got a 'holding' reply this morning to my email.

Dear Mr Gxxxxxxx

Thank you for your email to Fiona Hall MEP. Fiona will be in touch in due

course with a reply.

Kind regards

Judith Fourie

Head of Office

Office of Fiona Hall MEP

55a Old Elvet

Durham

DH1 3HN

If it's such a bad thing, as some here seem to believe, are the governments of all these countries fools?

Not necessarily fools but then not necessarily working in the best interests of their country either.

Not necessarily fools but then not necessarily working in the best interests of their country either.

So, as each of these countries has had many different governments during their membership of the E.U. and none of them has decided to withdraw. How does one find a government that would, as you put it, be working in the best interests of a particular country?

Or, to put it another way, surely there are some damned good reasons for being in rather than out?

Keith

Keith

I couldn't agree more and can't help wondering why (if close linking of states is such a bad thing) how the United States of America ever came about. Canada seems to have coped OK and it has areas that are larger than our country and even speak a different language.

Back to the OP -

Got a 'holding' reply this morning to my email.

Dear Mr Gxxxxxxx

Thank you for your email to Fiona Hall MEP. Fiona will be in touch in due

course with a reply.

Kind regards

Judith Fourie

Head of Office

Office of Fiona Hall MEP

55a Old Elvet

Durham

DH1 3HN

I got the same reply this afternoon from her word for word.

Sent my email midday thursday last week.