Green Hermatite

JerryP

Featured Posts

As the title ,where can i buy some Green Hermatite from ,preferably a 125ml plastic bottle or 500ml tin ? ,My Kelvin engine doesn't have a head gasket ,just a thick metal shim which has previously been sealed with Green hermatite ,so i would like to use it again.

As the title ,where can i buy some Green Hermatite from ,preferably a 125ml plastic bottle or 500ml tin ? ,My Kelvin engine doesn't have a head gasket ,just a thick metal shim which has previously been sealed with Green hermatite ,so i would like to use it again.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/plumbing-consumables/0691836/

I just googled it!!!

It would appear to be a discontinued product

Edited by David Schweizer

I recently used some 'new fangled' blue coloured silicoln based gasket stuff..that did the same job...but can't recall what it was !!

It did the job fine.....but..like you..I am an 'old stager' who grew up with Hermatites..both red and green...

They were tried and trusted...and apart from that..my dad thought it was good..!

I recently used some 'new fangled' blue coloured silicoln based gasket stuff..that did the same job

It wont do the same job as Green Hermatite sets hard ,and can be removed with a scraper and wire brush ,unlike the red stuff that needs to be virtually ground off ,thanks anyway.

May I suggest WellSeal?

Used it on my JP heads which seem to be working ok......

Cheers

Gareth

Is that not even harder to get hold off?

If this is the golden/yellow stuff then I have had a tube for a few years now, but have never seen it for sale.

Did it originate at WellWorthy Pistons?????

.........Dave

If this is the golden/yellow stuff then I have had a tube for a few years now, but have never seen it for sale.

.........Dave

Wellseal can still be obtained from E bay

I have used red and green Hermetite for years.Told by my local engineering supplier that the manufacturer (Hammerite?)discontinued the product several months ago.Rumour has it that Hermetite was manufactured by a company called Hylomar(Who make Blue Hylomar another good gasket sealant)They have now introduced a product called HYLOTYTE.I have used it and it seams the same as Red Hermatite.Dont know if they make a replacement for the green.Try info@hylomar.com or phone 01942 617001

As others have said, Wellseal- removes easily with meths- or Blue Hylomar, as originally designed for/by Rolls Royce- comes off with thinners. My Kelvin (a J2) is happy with either.

N

Blue Hylomar

I was going to suggest the same, although I dont know how it compares to Green Hermatite as I have never seen it, it sounds more like it than most things.

Loctite must do something also.

Daniel

I was going to suggest the same, although I dont know how it compares to Green Hermatite as I have never seen it, it sounds more like it than most things.

Loctite must do something also.

Daniel

Blue Hylomar is similar to red Hermatite, it doesn't cure rock hard.

In the past i've known the odd person to;--- when a new cylinder head steel or copper-asbestos gasket was unobtainable to paint the old gasket evenly on both sides with Bitumen paint and reasemble, it baked hard and did the job well.

We often just greased either side of new gaskets of this type.

Smooth Hammerite could well do the job well too.

Edited by bizzard

.........Dave

I get mine from Cromwell Tools who have branches all over country

HTH

Cheers

Gareth

.........Dave

Wellseal is actually easier to get now than it was a few years ago. It's a totally different product from green Hermetite, though, which is/was a hard setting compound.

There was a gold Hermetite as well. I never liked the green stuff.

Tim

Edited by Timleech