Dogs n stoves

Phlea

Featured Posts

Hi all,

What do dog owners do with the stove on their boat with dogs onboard? I'm about to introduce our six-month old puppy to the delights of narrowboating and am worried she'll singe herself- or worse! Are there small narrowboat size fireguards available?

Hi all,

What do dog owners do with the stove on their boat with dogs onboard? I'm about to introduce our six-month old puppy to the delights of narrowboating and am worried she'll singe herself- or worse! Are there small narrowboat size fireguards available?

Mustard and bread rolls.....

My dog seems to completely ignore everything on the boat other than his basket. I haven't ever told him the stove is hot but I imagine he might have worked it out for himself. I suppose introducing the puppy with the stove being on is a good idea so the puppy gets used to it being hot.

Seriously I keep 2 pooches on a barge, they adore the stove, and are forever curled up around it, as for accidents (burns etc), I have never had one with cats or dogs, they just seem to know, and I have had some gormless nutty dogs in my time (or did they just take after the owner?)

Hi all,

She'll be fine. Dogs are much more sensible than children in this respect.

N

Hi all,

We take no special precautions and not had a problem

We had the stove fitted after we had Millie, she has never hurt herself on it. I took this a couple of day ago and the stove was lit.

This is a close as she ever gets to it

02102012051.jpg

ETA the RHS door is usually closed when the stove is alight.

Edited by Ray T

We had the stove fitted after we had Millie, she has never hurt herself on it. I took this a couple of day ago and the stove was lit.

Yes the only issue we have too is getting near the stove when it's on.

Dennisandstove.jpg

I was getting concerned with our new puppy when he started to play behind the cold stove a month or so back, but as soon as it was lit he just dosn't go anywhere near it, its been the same with all my dogs they just know.

I have a woodburner in my Tipi, its quite a firey thing, but even in there, with the two dogs, the worst we get is a burning hair smell if a tail brushes the side ( no firebricks so very very hot) they both steer well clear.

She'll be fine. Dogs are much more sensible than children in this respect.

N

I am in total agreement with this. My dog though big and beautiful is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, in fact she is as thick as the preverbial you know what but she never burns herself nor did our previous rather inteligent dog.

Tim

02102012051.jpg

ETA the RHS door is usually closed when the stove is alight.

:D. Bet she gets a dried out nose

my 3 sit as close as they can, then moan about how hot they are!

I had a friend whose whippet used to sit so close to the fire his fur would start to singe (nothing worse then the smell of burning dog).

He would have to be moved, under protest, away from the fire and would sneak back as soon as he thought nobody was looking.

He means serve the cooked dog with mustard etc.

Lol!

Thanks for your replies folks, seems I'm worrying unnecessarily. Mind you, she is only six months and everything's, new, adventurous and to be explored! I guess she'll only burn herself once though!

I dont have a dog anymore, I have a cat.I treat my cat like a dog mainly and in return he meets me at the gate and curls up on my feet when it's cold. Therefore he is a bit like a dog.

When he was a pup... Kitten he jumped off of my shoulder and landed ontop of the stove, I have never seen such a display in all my days and am glad that Sindbad the catdog developed a keen avoidance stratergy there after.

We have a surround fire guard at home for the grand kids. We took half of this to the boat as it fiorms a right angle and fits between the fire and steps if we are on and off the boat when the fire is lit. Saves an unwanted accidental singeing or worse.