Oops! - York

wobbley

Featured Posts

Even if you are completely devoid of the living world around you then it isnt rocket science that if it is raining and has been for quite a while then river levels are going to rise.

There is no excuse for not being prepared when cruising on rivers :angry:

Good for you.

Although you didnt really need to buy a paper to see the forecast this time. It was plastered all over the front pages so just walking past a shop selling them would have sufficed.

I suppose you dont walk past shops either though :rolleyes:

Only women window shop, real men shop on eBay :P

I go boating to escape the media. That said I've also never owned a TV, have never bought a newspaper in my life and have no laptop or internet phone.

The radio is turned on on sunday mornings only to listen to The Archers....

amish301.jpg

Edited by carlt
  • Greenie 1

In that case I would recomend that they stay clear ov Rivers that are known to flood. I not capable of having a means to find out what is happening to River levels then they are a danger to themselves and others that might have to rescue them.

Definitely ..... rivers worry me at the best of times - at least on a canal if your engine stops for any reason you will stay pretty much where you are - in flood I think I would be a nervous wreck

I go boating to escape the media. That said I've also never owned a TV, have never bought a newspaper in my life and have no laptop or internet phone.

So, using my powers of deduction, you must be using a desktop computer. These are a bit bulky for boats so I surmise that you are not on a boat.

N

PS

Ah! I have missed something! You might be on a boat with an iPad. Or at work using your employer's time to browse CWDF.

Edited by Theo

Ah! I have missed something! You might be on a boat with an iPad. Or at work using your employer's time to browse CWDF.

Or in a library or internet cafe or at a friend's house ..... loads of possibilities

How did you post this then?

Through the power of your mind?

:unsure:

How did you post this then?

Through the power of your mind?

:unsure:

No you can write what you want to say on a lock balance beam and hope that a passing CWDF member will spot it and post it for you.

If you're really lucky you might even pick up an Arts grant for it, too.

No you can write what you want to say on a lock balance beam and hope that a passing CWDF member will spot it and post it for you.

Of course using this method runs the (slight) risk of someone else seeing and posting it first.

If a NBW member picks it up it will be reinterpreted as a vicious attack on CRT or ccers with no supporting evidence.

If the JC member finds it first it will be read once every 4 weeks by the same member.

(just kidding lads and lasses).

Of course using this method runs the (slight) risk of someone else seeing and posting it first.

If a NBW member picks it up it will be reinterpreted as a vicious attack on CRT or ccers with no supporting evidence.

If the JC member finds it first it will be read once every 4 weeks by the same member.

(just kidding lads and lasses).

No your not :cheers:

Or in a library or internet cafe or at a friend's house ..... loads of possibilities

Too true!

N

amish301.jpg

If that is supposed to illustrate pre industrial living then I spot an anachronism. The concrete blocks in the background are definitely produced by an industrial unit.

N

ETA. Oh, no! I seem to have contributed the smiley_offtopic.gif ness of this thread. Perhaps Daniel will tell me off and give me lines.

Edited by Theo

The pontoons at Linton Lock are lock landings - about three narrowboats long.

I'm afraid your memory is playing tricks on the you. The floating pontoon above the lock has a split designation. Firstly, as Mooring for lock operations only (immediately next to the lock) with the remainder of the pontoon being designated 48 hour visitor moorings.

• Greenie 1

Too true!

N

If that is supposed to illustrate pre industrial living then I spot an anachronism. The concrete blocks in the background are definitely produced by an industrial unit.

N

ETA. Oh, no! I seem to have contributed the smiley_offtopic.gif ness of this thread. Perhaps Daniel will tell me off and give me lines.

Yes Breeze blocks made from clinker. And i think the horse has the latest ''Freeman Hardy & Willis'' off the peg shoes on.

I'm afraid your memory is playing tricks on the you. The floating pontoon above the lock has a split designation. Firstly, as Mooring for lock operations only (immediately next to the lock) with the remainder of the pontoon being designated 48 hour visitor moorings.

Yes, quite right. But the point is that surely in flood conditions any floating pontoon (all pontoons at Linton and the one at Nayburn)can be used as a safe haven. Yes, strictly speaking it is for lock operation (Linton) and for services (Nayburn) but if the lock is under water then the pontoon is surplus to requirement for lock operation, and in the case of Nayburn services it is not too much to ask an boat requiring access to raft up along side.

Yes Breeze blocks made from clinker. And i think the horse has the latest ''Freeman Hardy & Willis'' off the peg shoes on.

Those aren't off the peg shoes. They're brushing boots.

N

Edited by Theo