Oops! - York

wobbley

Featured Posts

No, it says "he can, and will remove any boat..". That implies he physically removes a boat from the mooring, if it's in the way. Sure, if the boater is present, an exchange of words will likely see the offending boat moving on. But if the owner is not present, then what? Does he still move the boat, or work around it?

Not sure.

Love the thought of him rafting to the side of a boat on his moorings with the trip boat though then taking it off down river strapped to the side on a sight seeing cruise of York :lol:

Not sure.

Love the thought of him rafting to the side of a boat on his moorings with the trip boat though then taking it off down river strapped to the side on a sight seeing cruise of York :lol:

As long as the passengers embark over the front deck of the pontoon boat. Breasting up protocol must be observed...

:captain:

In my view, telling people to use the nearest safe mooring, which is eleven miles upstream (Linton being far better in a flood than Naburn) is pretty inadequate. That's why I would advise people not to go unless they are willing to pay for a berth in one of the marinas.

I hope not to many people follow your advise.......maybe just people that are unable to follow the weather forecast. I spent most of this summer on The Yorkshire Rivers and made a point of checking the weather at least twice a day. The moorings in York are fine and great for visiting the City whereas the moorings you suggest are outside the city and require a bus or taxi to visit the City.

The 2000 floods in York reached a height of 5.4m, this one is expected to peak at 5.0m so is some way off the levels of the 2000 floods.

EA monitor at 0700 today shows York (Viking Recorder) 5.06m vs 4.47m in 2008. The highest recorded was 5.4m, but it doesn't say when.

And at Naburn it is now 4.20 metres. They'll need to update the website: "The highest river level recorded at this location is 4.16 metres and the river level reached 3.74 metres on 23/01/2008."

I remember when we were at Naburn last year there was a board on the lockside building with lines and dates showing the various flood levels. IIRC the the top ones were at least a metre above the top of the lock beams.

EA monitor at 0700 today shows York (Viking Recorder) 5.06m vs 4.47m in 2008. The highest recorded was 5.4m, but it doesn't say when.

And at Naburn it is now 4.20 metres. They'll need to update the website: "The highest river level recorded at this location is 4.16 metres and the river level reached 3.74 metres on 23/01/2008."

I remember when we were at Naburn last year there was a board on the lockside building with lines and dates showing the various flood levels. IIRC the the top ones were at least a metre above the top of the lock beams.

Thats right. We have a picture of that building with the marks on it somewhere. They do indeed go over the level of the lock gates.

I work in York and took some pics this morning - available here: http://db.tt/il71Yy4t. I can't resize and post into the thread from here, but if anybody wants to put any in then please feel free. It's not very clear due to the limitations of digital zoom on phone camera, but on the far side in the centre of pic 2 you can make out the TV aerial on the sunk boat. I'll go for a bit more of a wonder at lunch and get some more. It was a bit disconcerting walking next to the river with the water level at chest height the other side of a wall and the York Boat fleet being significantly higher up than I was!

On the sinking, it goes without saying that it is horrible for those involved, but you can have enormous sympathy for them at the same time as thinking that (with the significant assumption that they weren't stuck away from the boat) they had more than enough time to move it somewhere safe. The levels didn't start rising until 4pm on Monday by which point heavy rain had been forecast for several days and it had been poring down non-stop since the early hours. If you're not capable of spotting warning signs like that and acting appropriately then you really shouldn't be on a river in the first place.

Edit - Further pictures now added to same link.

Edited by Spesh

I work in York and took some pics this morning - available here: http://db.tt/il71Yy4t. Edit - Further pictures now added to same link.

Thanks for posting these pics. The conditions are probably the worst I've seen for awhile but knowing the river there very well, it was really quite predicable given the forecast last Sunday. Despite that I have to sympathise with the boat owner who's boat sunk. Presumably a visitor who didn't realise the danger. Does anyone know if they are OK?

Thanks for posting these pics. The conditions are probably the worst I've seen for awhile but knowing the river there very well, it was really quite predicable given the forecast last Sunday. Despite that I have to sympathise with the boat owner who's boat sunk. Presumably a visitor who didn't realise the danger. Does anyone know if they are OK?

Yes the elderly boat owner is ok.

You can watch the river levels of the entire catchment area of any river using the website which Martin (The Dog House) posted on the Aire and Calder thread recently. The progress of water levels moving down the main river and tributaries over a 48 hour period in the form of graphs allows you to predict fairly accurately when the flood will reach any point. Here is the relevant page for the Yorkshire Ouse. As you can see, the graphs are pretty dramatic recently. (Click on the dots, which are monitoring stations.)

Far better than the weather forecast for where you are, which can be pretty irrelevant.

Edited to alter the timescale

Not all boaters have broadband and computers on their narrowboats

• Greenie 1

That condition is not restricted to narrowboats ;)

Lots don't.

Tim

Only a tiny minority of us boaters are on this forum. Out of the many liveaboards I personaly know, only roughly 5 per cent of them ever visit this forum.

Tim

remove boats? How? Tow them to a different mooring? Simply untie them, and let them drift? Crane them out?? :blink:

I dont think it happens much in reality. We have three moorings specifically paid for for the Princess to use two of them are so obviously for our use only that no one ever moors on them. We also have a ninety foot mooring at Holme pierrepont above the lock with "no mooring" written along it and a raised area to get our passengers off in an emergency. This mooring is continualy abused by all manner of boaters who regularily moor there. In an emergency I would be as carefull as possible but the likelyhood would be that stuff as small as narrowboats and tupperware cruisers would be damaged unintentionally and that would be down to their own stupidity, passenger boat companies pay a hell of a lot of money to run their operations and as they are much bigger boats will operate in adverse conditions. We operate in heavy flows with boards well up the red because it is safe for us to do so as our boats and dare I say Skippers have the ability to do so. When I am out anywhere in the country on my own private boat I ensure I never foul up a commercial boats moorings.

Tim

You dont need internet access to gat a weather forecast.

The papers, tv stations and radio stations all but out weather forecasts. It isnt rocket science to take some note of them. :rolleyes:

If you are out boating you might not have access to papers and TV - the radio weather isn't exactly detailed - but the flood warnings were broadcast quiet well

If you are out boating you might not have access to papers and TV - the radio weather isn't exactly detailed - but the flood warnings were broadcast quiet well

Where are you boating to have no interenet access, newpaper access or TV reception?

I am fairly sure that there are very few places where you cant get one of them at the very least.

Where are you boating to have no interenet access, newpaper access or TV reception?

I am fairly sure that there are very few places where you cant get one of them at the very least.

It doesn't effect me cos I'm safely south of the problems this time - but my TV is only AC, I don't buy papers (not that the weather forecast in them is any better than the TV) ... what I was trying to say is that some people like to be cut off from everything when they are out - modern media can be very intrusive and getting away it all is one of the great things about boating

Perhaps they should start including river levels in the Radio 4 Shipping Forecast...

I don't know about other local radio stations but both bbc radio york, and minster fm, have given good and precise details on their weather/news bulletins over the last days for the Ouse. I cant of course comment for other local stations around the UK

I go boating to escape the media. That said I've also never owned a TV, have never bought a newspaper in my life and have no laptop or internet phone.

The radio is turned on on sunday mornings only to listen to The Archers....

Edited by Hairy-Neil

It doesn't effect me cos I'm safely south of the problems this time - but my TV is only AC, I don't buy papers (not that the weather forecast in them is any better than the TV) ... what I was trying to say is that some people like to be cut off from everything when they are out - modern media can be very intrusive and getting away it all is one of the great things about boating

In that case I would recomend that they stay clear ov Rivers that are known to flood. I not capable of having a means to find out what is happening to River levels then they are a danger to themselves and others that might have to rescue them.

• Greenie 1

I go boating to escape the media. That said I've also never owned a TV, have never bought a newspaper in my life and have no laptop or internet phone.

Even if you are completely devoid of the living world around you then it isnt rocket science that if it is raining and has been for quite a while then river levels are going to rise.

There is no excuse for not being prepared when cruising on rivers :angry:

Good for you.

Although you didnt really need to buy a paper to see the forecast this time. It was plastered all over the front pages so just walking past a shop selling them would have sufficed.

I suppose you dont walk past shops either though :rolleyes: