What else besides a windlass?

Zayna

Featured Posts

Okidoki, at the risk of being dim...

So I have a windlass (and a spare) and a BW key, and my mooring equipment, but don't I need a 'handcuff' key or something? What are they like and what are they for, and where will I get one?

Thanks in advance, you lovely peeps.

x

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/Search.aspx?Search=handcuff+key

They are for undoing some of the anti vandal gear on the locks and have a square recess in the end. Some people make do with a very small socket but they are cheap enough.

- virtually all the manual swing bridges on the L&L are locked with them too.

Edited by The Dog House

Aha, I've seen those, thank you very much. Not exactly certain of where I'll be needing it, but I'm sure I'll find out... :blush:

You often encounter the need in areas with a history of the locks been messed with, pounds emptied by kids and the like, so common in some 'urban areas' or flights like the Wigan flight.

plus as above just about every swing bridge on the Leeds and Liverpool that is not electric (where you use your BW key) are locked with them.

the other 'key' you might need is the one for water/diesel filling caps or pumpout fittings (if you have a PO bog !).

one of these :

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/Products/DeckHullFittings/DeckFillersSockets/FillerPumpOutKeys/AS042.aspx

saves trying to find a big screwdriver or blunt chisel when your trying to fill up with water/diesel

For working narrow locks with double doors you may find a lightweight 8 foot boat hook handy to save repetetive walks round the locks to shut/open gates

Great in theory - but many of the lock gates are too heavy to do this. Besides walking around gives you exercise :glare: - or you can be brave and hop over the gates like I do.

We have drilled a hole in each of our handcuff keys near the top big enough to thread a simple rope lanyard on together with a BW key threaded on. My wife has hers tucked round her neck with the key part in a pocket. I loop mine through my belt. We use them a lot on the Rufford branch and on the Leeds and Liverpool.

Hi all

Locks have gates, not doors, but a cabin shaft is indeed useful to push them closed after descending. Back in the days, some had a rectangle of timber screwed on as a sacrificial plate to absorb damage by the pointed hook on the cabin shaft. I often use the technique when single handing.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by dave moore

When you get your 'handcuff' key may I suggest you get two and another' BW' key.

ps. do not keep them on the same key ring. ;)

Also don't keep them on the same keying as the engine start key (it's not an ignition key unless you have a petrol engine)

That depends on where you are. In some parts of the country, like Cambridgeshire and the Fens, they are often called "doors".

Pointy doors at that, fitted with slackers not paddles.

Hi all

Locks have gates, not doors, but a cabin shaft is indeed useful to push them closed after descending. Back in the days, some had a rectangle of timber screwed on as a sacrificial plate to absorb damage by the pointed hook on the cabin shaft. I often use the technique when single handing.

Cheers

Dave

I find I can sometimes shut one by hand, getting filthy, if I am almost stopped emerging from the lock but find faffing with a boat hook more trouble than it is worth. I am sure ther must be some technique to it and had intended making up a short but strong boat hook for the purpose maybe just 6 foot long.

Also don't keep them on the same keying as the engine start key (it's not an ignition key unless you have a petrol engine)

Pointy doors at that, fitted with slackers not paddles.

We have a starter button on a petrol engine,

and how about penstocks instead of slackers, and vertical doors?

On the Kennet and Avon (or at least the bits we've done) you only need a windlass, the swing bridges are locked with them, but I get the impression these are to stop them being blown open rather than for security. But whatever CRT say there are places you'd be better off with a K and A one and one eight inch taper. These were all (allegedly) replaced 20 odd years ago with standard 1 inch tapers. I got the "museum piece" out on a few occasions

But if you wish to cruise the K and A on the long pound a gang plank and a machete will help with mooring arrangements

Oh, and last time we went boating I forgot to take my sense of humour with me, Val suggested I go back on the bus to get it :wub::blush:

edited to add, the sight of a weasel wondering where his (or her) bridge had gone when we had swung it out of our way is one of the more memorable experiences of our boating!

Edited by magpie patrick