Today, I'll buy a boat

Tee

Featured Posts

Is what I thought this morn. Me: just turned 26, live in Leicester, never had a boat or had any experience but got a Cadillac which I use daily and that's same size as a boat.

Now from my extensive 5 minutes of research I've seen that there isn't any kind of specific license required if I want to ride inland and coastal - is this true? Also there's an annual 'tax', a 4 year 'MOT' and mooring costs.. Am I on right lines or are there any other charges I need to be aware of?

Main question I had was this. I've seen a couple of cruisers, one 25ft birchwood not far from me. Now if I purchased this and contacted a local mooring place to get moored up, would I be able to freely roam the rivers of the UK? This may sound stupid so I apologise in advance for consuming your time but any help would be appreciated. I live in Leicester and have a lot of friends in neighbouring Nottingham and I'd quite like to stroll down to Trent Bridge every weekend. Also what's from stopping me from mooring on the side of River Trent at Trent Bridge?

Mucho gracias in advance, please help me so I can buy a boat and I'll keep you all entertained for time to come.

Is what I thought this morn. Me: just turned 26, live in Leicester, never had a boat or had any experience but got a Cadillac which I use daily and that's same size as a boat.

Wow, a floating Caddie!!

Now from my extensive 5 minutes of research I've seen that there isn't any kind of specific license required if I want to ride inland and coastal - is this true? Also there's an annual 'tax', a 4 year 'MOT' and mooring costs.. Am I on right lines or are there any other charges I need to be aware of?

Wrong I'm afraid.

No licence for the sea bits, but inland you will require a licence either from CaRT or the Environment Agency, depending on where the boat is kept and what water you want to use. You will also require insurance, and certainly on CaRT waters the boat inspected and certificated.

Main question I had was this. I've seen a couple of cruisers, one 25ft birchwood not far from me. Now if I purchased this and contacted a local mooring place to get moored up, would I be able to freely roam the rivers of the UK? This may sound stupid so I apologise in advance for consuming your time but any help would be appreciated. I live in Leicester and have a lot of friends in neighbouring Nottingham and I'd quite like to stroll down to Trent Bridge every weekend. Also what's from stopping me from mooring on the side of River Trent at Trent Bridge?

See above.

Haven't a clue about Trent Bridge.

Mucho gracias in advance, please help me so I can buy a boat and I'll keep you all entertained for time to come.

I think you need to do a bit more research before you try to entertain us.

. I live in Leicester and have a lot of friends in neighbouring Nottingham and I'd quite like to stroll down to Trent Bridge every weekend. Also what's from stopping me from mooring on the side of River Trent at Trent Bridge?

strolling down to nottingham will not be as easy as you think, its at least one full day travelling plus you have locks to do, do you have a friend who could help you with them? if not it will take longer and be hard work, good luck.

If I were you I would carry out considerably more research before starting out on your adventure.

You don't want to become another one of these:

http://www.dailymail...Kent-coast.html

http://www.sailingtoday.co.uk/latest-news/stop-press-road-atlas-not-suitable-for-navigation-purposes

Edited by Ray T

Ok so I'll get my licenses and I'm done. Calling a marine tomorrow for mooring spots, I'll have a boat within a fortnight! Goodgurl I have an entourage worry not. Ray T thanks for the warning, can't help but laugh :) I dont want a world cruise though so I doubt I'll end up floating in the middle of the Atlantic with no fuel.

I think I would take ray t's advice and do alot more homework and follow advise of the experienced members on here as we do, the guys on here in one way or another saved us alot of problems and money. The point he makes is valid, it can all go horribly wrong on the inland waterway as well as at sea.

Good luck I think you may need it!

Edited by adelleandlee

I'm normally pretty gullible, but I'm not convinced this is as innocent as it purports to be. ??

Me too, I'm afraid.

It has all the makings of a wind-up, doesn't it?

And I thought I was Ms. Cynical! Sometimes even if you think something is a wind up, there's no harm in taking it face value.

I don't know, I read that post and thought, yeah, go for it. By licence, the OP clearly meant a qualification, as what he refers to as 'tax' is clearly the CRT licence. He's sussed you need that, and a moooring, and BSS. One thing to add is insurance - look at Basic Boat Liability if you want it cheap and cheerful.

Other things to consider - a survey. On an old plastic/wooden boat possibly more important than with steel, unless you want to risk losing all your money on something worthless.

Leicester to Nottingham - a nice run but a good couple of days and 23 big locks. For details of distances, estimated times, and number of locks etc, look at Canalplan.

Don't try to go to sea in a boat you buy inland and definitely seek advice before doing that. The RNLI will freely and happily provide such advice.

So many people start a long love of the waterways with a small, cheap, impuse purchase. i would venture to suggest that perhaps more of the people who start like this stick at it than those who spend years researching and building their perfect 150k narrowboat.

Me too, I'm afraid.

It has all the makings of a wind-up, doesn't it?

Or is it? Lock cottage just sold near us, owners put a cabin cruiser in the water at the water point which happens to be opposite their house, they didn't realise they needed a license, insurance and a mooring, or that it shouldn't be moored there. At least the OP is asking for advice.

If we use Dave Mayalls car analogy, people assume because they can park their car outside their house without paying anything or getting approval it's the same on the canal.

Have you never met anyone who has bought a cabin cruiser on impulse? I have, more than once.

Be nice.

Sometimes even if you think something is a wind up, there's no harm in taking it face value.

Exactly. All this suspicion over noobs can make this board an unfriendly place to be.

Does it really matter if you get caught out from time to time? I'd be the first to admit I don't always get it right. I think my ego can take the knock. It's not like we're manning passport control in an airport is it? It's a bulletin board. Maybe some of us should chill out a bit.

To the OP - welcome. :cheers:

Edited by Lady Muck

So many people start a long love of the waterways with a small, cheap, impuse purchase. i would venture to suggest that perhaps more of the people who start like this stick at it than those who spend years researching and building their perfect 150k narrowboat.

Completely agree.

I see no need for the bullying to start.

One must never forget the Water Rat's observation.

This thread fits that nicely.

I am always amazed at how lazy people can be, they seem to be able to google the Internet to find his forum and others but judging by the number of similar questions can't be bothered to search that little bit further to read threads about cost of boating, or practicalities . I am all for helping especially where the OP has done some initial research and thus seems to have a genuine interest.

Maybe not everyone approaches things like you. Perhaps some prefer to test their ideas by opening a conversation. I refer you to the forum title.

That's true , shame he had not put a bit more substance behind the idea, anyway less than 15.5 hrs to wait to see what he buys.

I am always amazed at how lazy people can be, they seem to be able to google the Internet to find his forum and others but judging by the number of similar questions can't be bothered to search that little bit further to read threads about cost of boating, or practicalities . I am all for helping especially where the OP has done some initial research and thus seems to have a genuine interest.

That's a bit harsh!

Half the fun of owning a boat is learning as you go along. I bought our pair of boats long before CWDF or indeed the internet was around. Had I been able to consult this forum I know that I would have been advised to go for something less demanding. I had no experience in renovating boats; I didn't have a clue how much it was going to cost; I'd never steered a big boat; I never had a survey and I didn't know where to go for advice; I didn't even have a mooring. The list goes on.

All I could see was beautiful shaped boats with oodles of history.

It took a bit longer to get them up to scratch (about fifteen years longer, actually) but after twenty five years I've learnt a bit more and thoroughly enjoyed the process.

I'm pretty sure of the reaction if I'd said on this forum, "I've seen this historic boat with a lovely old semi diesel engine. The boat's got a wooden bottom and at the moment and appears to be leaking badly. I haven't seen the engine run and it's been sitting on the bank for over a year. The seller wants a quick decision so I'm not going to bother with a survey. Should I buy it?"

• Greenie 1

If you go ahead and really do this, perhaps consider a mooring the Nottingham side of Leicester...Thurmaston or Barrow/Quorn way, cuts down on the locks to get to Nottingham hugely. Though, there isn't much in the way of marinas south Leicester, so I guess that's what you are thinking anyway.

The trent is easily within just a few hours reach then.

One bit of advice to a newbie.....learn to slow down past moored boats please!!!

I too think that's harsh. In fact the OP has done some initial research and was asking us if there was anything he had missed.

• Greenie 1

My advice to the OP is given your style, yes go ahead and buy any boat you can comfortably afford and get boating. There is such an overwhelming volume of knowledge to be accumulated that almost anybody's first purchase turns out to be not quite what they thought they wanted, and a different boat would have been better.

So it is highly likely that whatever you buy, however much research you do, you'll end up changing it once you get a bit of boating experience, so just bear this in mind when you buy. Pay attention to how re-sellable it is, or if you are loaded (as you sound to me!) maybe getting your ALL money back on resale will not be the issue it would for many boaters on here.

Mike

P.S. In case you haven't sussed, a large proportion of the UK canals have locks that are 7ft wide and a Birchwood 25 is too wide to fit through. This is why we all cruise about in 7ft wide long thin boats which by the way, are not seaworthy.

(Edited to correct spilling mistakes.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Back to the OP:

Please take your time, and be sure you get any boat you buy surveyed. There have been a number of topics on here covering incidents where folk have bought boats on impluse with a 'hey what could possibly go wrong' attitude only to find the hull is paper thin and needs tens of thousands of pounds spending on it, they hadn't appreciated the regs re moorings, couldn't cope with having to be self sufficient for water, sewage and power or found they didn't enjoy actually moving the thing about.

Your initial posts reference to 5 mins research, use of non-canal terms like 'tax' and underestimation of travelling times on water could perhaps be construed by some as you having read those posts and then setting yourself up as the epitome of all of the unfortunates who featured in them.

If you're genuine, hold up a bit, read and learn more before you either throw money away or end up leaving another sad hulk abandoned somewhere.

Back to the OP:

Please take your time, and be sure you get any boat you buy surveyed. There have been a number of topics on here covering incidents where folk have bought boats on impluse with a 'hey what could possibly go wrong' attitude only to find the hull is paper thin and needs tens of thousands of pounds spending on it, they hadn't appreciated the regs re moorings, couldn't cope with having to be self sufficient for water, sewage and power or found they didn't enjoy actually moving the thing about.

Your initial posts reference to 5 mins research, use of non-canal terms like 'tax' and underestimation of travelling times on water could perhaps be construed by some as you having read those posts and then setting yourself up as the epitome of all of the unfortunates who featured in them.

If you're genuine, hold up a bit, read and learn more before you either throw money away or end up leaving another sad hulk abandoned somewhere.

Much better put than me thankyou, yes that was my point using the search mode on this forum would have revealed that there are numerous similar requests and he would get many of the answers he needs, but as Chrisink says , why bother as its a discussion forum, so no need

I think the OP could have oodles of fun with a cheap grp cruiser like a Birchwood 25 ( do they get 'paper thin' and need '£10,000' of work?) without getting all serious and looking at it as a 'hobby' which needs must consume £7,000 a year.

The main issue will be somewhere to leave it, I don't know that area but a cheap mooring is usually possible on a river.

I personally think the canals would benefit hugely by a return to this kind of boating which has sadly died out over the last 20 years.

• Greenie 1

Dudes, have none of you guys brought a boat on impulse?! It surprises me, majority of my life is based on it haha and btw I'm not minted by any means i just know how to do as little research as possible so as not lose money when re-selling. As long as others aren't at risk by my actions, I tend not to do a years research before a venture.

Anyway, my brain is fast absorbing your wealth of info so thanks to all who haven't prescribed to the conspiracy that I'm a robot sent by mothership to play pranks on boat forums.

Questions: Mike you mention the size of UK canals which I already know, if I were to purchase the Birchwood 25 would that massively restrict my routes then? I like the idea of mooring on Nottingham side of Leicester, I may even look at Nottingham marines.

Also the survey sounds like a must, I was hoping to make acquaintance with a local expert before purchase anyway but where would I go about getting a survey?

• Greenie 1

Trouble is, a proper survey will cost the thick end of £500, which is a chunk when you can get a 25' GRP for £2,000 or so.

What you need is a knowledgeable friend. I believe forum member fuzzyduck is up that way and an evangelist for this type of boating. Ask his advice.

Edited by Chris Pink

Questions: Mike you mention the size of UK canals which I already know, if I were to purchase the Birchwood 25 would that massively restrict my routes then? I like the idea of mooring on Nottingham side of Leicester, I may even look at Nottingham marines.

I think a Birchwood 25 is around 9 ft wide which would restrict the extent of your cruising see this map to give you an idea -

http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/mwp.php?wpage=Inland-Waterways-of-England.htm

If this is important to you look for something like a Viking who make GRP boats that are narrow enough to cruise just about the whole system.