Would it be a sin to have one of these

DeanS

Featured Posts

you will find you can change the tune if you block up the holes with araldite and re drill ..I have modified one to play here comes the bride from my vintage wedding car ....for sale if you want it very near canal at rugby by tesco.

You don't need steam to blow a powerful brass steam whistle, air will do it just as well. Just pump up a decent sized receiver with a cheap 12v car tyre inflator. PHeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Whistles use much, much more air than diaphragm horns.

You might only get

Pheeeeee..

Tim

Edited by Timleech

If you had a Kelvin you might consider using one of the lighthouse foghorns.

My Kelvin was originally used to power one of these. :P

You would have to stop whilst the compressor was blowing up the tank for one of those as even a K2 hasn't got enough go in it for that as well as blades.

Maybe a good excuse to upgrade to a K4?

Not to mention the probability that you would go backwards if you blew it with the horn exhaust facing forwards!

N

If you had a Kelvin you might consider using one of the lighthouse foghorns.

My Kelvin was originally used to power one of these. :P

That's easy for you to say, especially as you have one of the most famous custom car horn tunes named after you....all together now:

La koukouvagia, la koukouvagia, Ya no puede caminar.

Edited by carlt

Is it a sin to comtemplate having THIS as my widebeam horn.

I'd actually like one that is manually squeezed...(no wiring, like the old vintage car horns)...if anyone has any ideas....else I'll just go for a klaxon thingiemabob. (although Dixie would be hilarious)

Dean. [i have read all the posts to the end.] Load of ole bollox the advice and comments coming back to a straightforward and very reasonable question from your good self. "RayT" came closest to reality when he asked how you would signal your intentions. Marine law decrees that you have to be able to make a long blast (4to6secs) with the boat "whistle". "Whistle" is the legal name of a boat's "audible warning of approach". (Pentargon has a Morris Minor Windtone "whistle".) The manual squeeze will work for all other "whistle" signals except the long blast.

So if you have another horn for that function you'll be covered legally. Lotsa people on t'cut don't seem to realise that they are actually sailors (whether they like it or not). I think the idea of a manually squeezed air-horn is rather sweet and would favour having one if you want it. But you'd need to mount it so as to be able to activate it while at the helm.

Dean. [i have read all the posts to the end.] Load of ole bollox the advice and comments coming back to a straightforward and very reasonable question from your good self. "RayT" came closest to reality when he asked how you would signal your intentions. Marine law decrees that you have to be able to make a long blast (4to6secs) with the boat "whistle". "Whistle" is the legal name of a boat's "audible warning of approach". (Pentargon has a Morris Minor Windtone "whistle".) The manual squeeze will work for all other "whistle" signals except the long blast.

So if you have another horn for that function you'll be covered legally. Lotsa people on t'cut don't seem to realise that they are actually sailors (whether they like it or not). I think the idea of a manually squeezed air-horn is rather sweet and would favour having one if you want it. But you'd need to mount it so as to be able to activate it while at the helm.

It was completely tongue in cheek post...BUT...in all seriousness....in my short but daily cruising....I dont think the use of a hooter in canals, was ever used except on a blind curve or going through tunnels....and in both cases....they were long and hard......and the Dixie horn would have probably served the intended purpose...:)

Dean. [i have read all the posts to the end.] Load of ole bollox the advice and comments coming back to a straightforward and very reasonable question from your good self.

You're right there....Here comes some now...

Marine law decrees that you have to be able to make a long blast (4to6secs) with the boat "whistle"....

Lotsa people on t'cut don't seem to realise that they are actually sailors (whether they like it or not).

Some people also don't realise that BW Bylaws take precedence over "Marine Law", on canals, including rules on audible signals.

That isn't to say that you are able to make the signals (that we all use so diligently), with a musical horn, but it also doesn't make one illegal, if you have some other means of signalling.

I had a vintage hand operated klaxon horn on Usk that wasn't capable of making all the signals indicated by the BW rules but the Acme Thunderer hanging next to it was.

You're right there....Here comes some now...

Some people also don't realise that BW Bylaws take precedence over "Marine Law", on canals, including rules on audible signals.

That isn't to say that you are able to make the signals (that we all use so diligently), with a musical horn, but it also doesn't make one illegal, if you have some other means of signalling.

I had a vintage hand operated klaxon horn on Usk that wasn't capable of making all the signals indicated by the BW rules but the Acme Thunderer hanging next to it was.

So what are the rules on the Middle Level, the boat in front of me gave 3 short blasts and turned right into Fox's yard.

So what are the rules on the Middle Level, the boat in front of me gave 3 short blasts and turned right into Fox's yard.

I have no idea.

Do they have their own set of Byelaws? If not then I expect Colregs would apply.

Edited to add: They do but no mention of tooting one's horn so I guess it's Colregs.

Edited by carlt

You toot and hold up the appropriate number of fingers.

4 means "turning to port", 5 means "going astern", and 6 means "I'm from Wisbech".

• Greenie 1

You toot and hold up the appropriate number of fingers.

4 means "turning to port", 5 means "going astern", and 6 means "I'm from Wisbech".

I thought it was March, but never mined. I think three short blasts meant he was going backwards

Is it a sin to comtemplate having THIS as my widebeam horn.

I'd actually like one that is manually squeezed...(no wiring, like the old vintage car horns)...if anyone has any ideas....else I'll just go for a klaxon thingiemabob. (although Dixie would be hilarious)

Not if you have the dream paint job I wanted for my boat - orange with the 01 on the side like the General Lee :clapping: It says a lot about my steering too

One day.... One day...

Excellent!

I shall add that to my Lincolnshire repertoire.

I fear it's in Cambridgeshire.

I gave a jolly tootle on my Acme signal horn approaching a blind bridge last week and was exceedingly gratified to find someone waiting the other side of it when I got through. I think he was quite pleased too.

Edited by Chertsey