VHF being an official requirement

geoffwales

Featured Posts

Most boat horns I don't hear when I'm in the wheelhouse with the engine on, mainly due to them been shitty non reg compliant ones.

Yep,

Exactly why all boats should be fitted with the very sensible, very cheap, very usefull vhf radio.......Its a brilliant safety aid which is why all profesional boaters and sensible hobby boaters use it !!

Tim

Yep,

Exactly why all boats should be fitted with the very sensible, very cheap, very usefull vhf radio.......Its a brilliant safety aid which is why all profesional boaters and sensible hobby boaters use it !!

Tim

Going back to CB radio, I used to use it back in the 70's when it was all a craze after the film "Convoy" or whatever it was called. You use to break into a conversation amongst others if you had an urgent message.

Come on back !!!

Agreed, I'm planning to install VHF. Listening to the comments here over that past confirms how useful it is on a Navigation like Aire and Calder. Still going to have a complaint horn though.

Yep,

Tim

Not if you're only ever going to be pootling around in ditches surely?

Agreed on tidal rivers but definitely not necessary on canals or non tidal rivers IMO.

Yep,

Tim

Good plan. I could keep it in my dump-through toilet tank

Richard

I did my VHF course and when the man who was teaching asked why I wanted to do it I told him it was because I sail rivers and canals so is a most have for safety I think it would work well on canals and for horns they are a requirement for by laws that you use them no matter what the distance is they will carry

The signals should be made so that every boater knows what the mean as most boaters think that one blast of the horn is all that is needed

The signals don't need to be changed. Where I would agree is that some boaters refuse to learn them. For some people on the waterways there is an aversion to learn the basics of good boatmanship and they would rather invent new rulse to suit themselves.

Howard

Yep,

Tim

Mindless madness.

It is a horrible irony that those who like to advocate and promote mandatory restrictions on otherwise relatively unregulated Lifestyles, are often attracted to those very same relatively unrestricted lifestyles, often become self appointed champions of them and invariably end up regulating all the fun out of them.

Joshua

The theory is great but the practicality of it is that it is that it wouldn't work IMHO for the following reasons

• A licence is required for the boat
  • A licence is required for the operator
  • VHF is line of sight - it doesn't always work - years in the airline industry taught me that! It's surprising what will blank a VHF signal.
  • Hand held ones are great for receiving but not at all reliable for transmitting - fixed is so much better for that - try calling London VTS from Teddington on a handheld!
  • Nothing beats 'obeying' colregs - especially rule 5 'every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight as well as by hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and avoid the risk of collision.'

I would advocate:

• The 'I am entering the fairway' is, IIRC, one long 'blast' to the count of 10
  • As has been mentioned before a decent horn is probably the best (and cheapest) solution
  • Travel slowly and then slow down a bit more and keep to 'your' side of the cut as much as possible - we didn't go out on the waterways to get from A to B as quickly as possible but to enjoy this green and pleasant land and the waterway.
  • If the other vessel is bigger than you give him some 'sea' room and stay clear and that of course applies to the pleasure steamers (e.g. Salters) on the Thames and the commercial traffic on the waterways further north. Also give plenty of room to a working pair - you'll enjoy what you see and they usually need more room than most.

Kathryn

Edited by Leo No2

Mindless madness.

It is a horrible irony that those who like to advocate and promote mandatory restrictions on otherwise relatively unregulated Lifestyles, are often attracted to those very same relatively unrestricted lifestyles, often become self appointed champions of them and invariably end up regulating all the fun out of them.

Joshua

Oh dear me. ANYTHING to do with enhancing safety for all concerned can never be classed as mindless madness. Its simple common sense, the problem with common sense is of course that it is not very common, as your post proves.

Tim

The signals don't need to be changed. Where I would agree is that some boaters refuse to learn them. For some people on the waterways there is an aversion to learn the basics of good boatmanship and they would rather invent new rulse to suit themselves.

Howard

Very true.

Tim

I use CB, for fun. I don't see a safety need to fit radios to narrowboats on "normal" BW canals. Rivers and commercial waterways are a different case.

Probably true in most instances though the Aire and Calder is a very " normal " canal and vhf radio is a must for safely navigating it. Remember ALL canals were built and used as commercial waterways. I find it hard to understand why anyone would wish NOT to have a very basic, cheap and brilliant bit of kit such as vhf radio fitted to their boat. Most people have fenders and they are just as necesary

Tim

Yep,

Tim

How often did you use yours when you were on the Oxford. On a river carrying commercial traffic I agree with you, but what percentage of Narrowboats ever go onto that sort of waterway. If every one has VHF and they all call when approaching a bridge you will never hear the important traffic.

PS I have held a restricted radio operators license for about 40 years.

Edited by ditchcrawler

I hope VHF radios and horn sounding wont take the fun out watching people fail to take the bend at Langford Lane bridge (B.224 Southern Oxford).

It's often a case of less horn blowing and more concentrating on getting round the corner ;)

VHF for commercial waterways - sensible.

For pleasure ditches - just go slowly round a blind bend/bridge! The last thing we need is loads of radios squawking away :angry:

Probably true in most instances though the Aire and Calder is a very " normal " canal and vhf radio is a must for safely navigating it. Remember ALL canals were built and used as commercial waterways. I find it hard to understand why anyone would wish NOT to have a very basic, cheap and brilliant bit of kit such as vhf radio fitted to their boat. Most people have fenders and they are just as necesary

Tim

Well if the Aire and Calder is the sort of place where you need VHF then fair enough - I've never had the pleasure. I can't see the point on the GU or the Oxford, or even the non-tidal Thames on the bits I've navigated between Oxford and Bourne End (The Bounty pub was our turnaround spot).

I do agree that all canals were once commercial waterways, but radios were never a requirement ;)

I personally WOULD like to have a radio attached to my boat, but I'd rather use something like CB which is unlicensed and fun. If more people used them, and there was a dedicated calling channel then it could work as an aid to safety, but I can't see it becoming universal.

Reading through this seems to be that vhf / cb /pmr446 all used in different scenarios.

VHF for the serious stuff not chatting

CB for general but not many have or use it

PMR446 to chat to mrs on the lock

I use CB to chat to Mrs on the lock :)

I'm all for safety of course like most of us, but we all got by years ago before the advent of cheap VHF and ship-shore radios ect. We used our inituitive and enjoyed the bit of extra excitement. Most did understand sound signals then though and the rules of the road.

Edited by bizzard

Somebody is avina larf innit?

Why in heaven's name would you want a VHF on a narrowboat? Not needed, not necessary. Avin a larf innit? :D

H

You can easily be on a Narrolwoat on a waterway that does require the use of VHF. Dickers for courses as they say.

As luck would have it I am doin a VHF course soon hopefully run by a local club, future plans are to have a go on the river Mersey so VHF is required apparently.

Short term I bought these pmr446 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cobra-MT600-Wal ... lectronics. To help through the locks with the Mrs

The Cobras are regular walky-talkies, & not marine band aren't they? Marine band is great - can't beat finding out about a graveller BEFORE it looms up behind you at speed - but it's an offence to use them to communicate to people on land, with the exception of lock keepers (not lock wheelers), VTS & port / marina staff.

Using them for communicating with crew on land could get you a stiff fine. (Waste of valuable beer money...)

Reading through this seems to be that vhf / cb /pmr446 all used in different scenarios.

VHF for the serious stuff not chatting

CB for general but not many have or use it

PMR446 to chat to mrs on the lock

Spot on, Geoffwales.