Alvecote Historic Boat Gathering

Featured Posts

SNIP (Ask Ange to post the video of MB slipping off the gunnels in the rally...) :D

Will definitely post the video when we're in a more stable internet area - struggling at the moment just to catch up!

Had a fantastic weekend, thanks to Dave (Postcode) for letting us come along on Python on the parade on Sunday - it was a great experience and our little short legged, long tailed dog on the roof went down a storm!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the contribution to the weekend by the hotel boats Oak & Ash and the ex vicar!

I thought people were exaggerating about his unreasonableness and rage but wow! What a plonker!

It was the topic of the night in the Samuel Barlow last night.

Edited by Ange

I loved Norman's description of Millie (Ange and Dave's dog who paraded on Python's roof on Sunday) "A long tailed short legged lurcher" Those who know Millie will understand the ripple of laughter that accompanied the comment.

I really don't think the scoring was based 100% on skill, more of an entertainment. The fact that the pair winding got a 9 meaning 4 1/2 each says something :-). Dave was very chuffed to get an 8 especially as he had never steered that boat in anything but a straight line on the canal prior to the parade. That is of course domething that has now been remedied and I have also finally got around to taking the tiller. (she is a quirky old lady but you can't help but have a soft spot for her)

Those who left earlier missed the fun and games with very low pounds up Atherstone yesterday. Baltic had a few problems but Python was really struggling below 9 along with another (modern) craft. We went for a curry with Sandra and Ken off Baltic last night to celebrate Kens Birthday. As we returned to the boats at 11pm Icould see a strong flow on the canal and we went to check the paddles on the top lock just in case. We met the guys hauling the butty Olive through!!! The low pounds had completely screwed up their ascent.

I notice the lock cottage is empty. Is this one that BW Decided to get rid of?

Thanks for the Facebook link to photo's Alan. Both Mike Askin's and Andrew's must have been selected as 'private', so unavailable.

Nice shot of SICKLE and TYCHO side by side, I've mailed that to Ian Tyler as he always wanted a shot of them together. I took one years ago when SICKLE was on duty, but the film remained in the camera for too long and I lost the lot! Another mark up for digital!!

Derek

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the contribution to the weekend by the hotel boats Oak & Ash and the ex vicar!

I thought people were exaggerating about his unreasonableness and rage but wow! What a plonker!

It was the topic of the night in the Samuel Barlow last night.

Go on Ange, spill the beans....

It seems I missed this scene by minutes. After walking away from Tawny Owl I came upon the hotel pair just approaching the Samuel Barlow...

It's aready an "interesting" topic on Facebook, but I'm sure Jan can be persuaded to cut and paste it on to here!......

We didn't see that incident, although we did see him thrashing the water about more than a bit at Atherstone. Based on previous reports and experience, the man does indeed seem to be a prize idiot, and one wonders if he has become sufficiently legendary that people now pay to come to witness his bizarre behaviour, rather than enjoy (what should be!) the tranquility of proper hotel boating!

It's aready an "interesting" topic on Facebook, but I'm sure Jan can be persuaded to cut and paste it on to here!......

We didn't see that incident, although we did see him thrashing the water about more than a bit at Atherstone. Based on previous reports and experience, the man does indeed seem to be a prize idiot, and one wonders if he has become sufficiently legendary that people now pay to come to witness his bizarre behaviour, rather than enjoy (what should be!) the tranquility of proper hotel boating!

a sort of water based Basil Fawlty?? perhaps?

I am still only using my phone to access the net so cut and paste, while probably do-able is beyond me.

What happened was a beautifully turned out little pride and joy cruuser called Fern had set off from the pub and it was their bridgehole. I did not witness this but numerous people did and confirmed the cruiser was actually in the bridgehole when the pair who were travelling unreasonably fast approaching moored boats did not attempt to slow at all and actually forced the cruiser back out of the bridge hole and sent them icrashing into the hedge and reeds at the side. this was accompanied by an extremely long blast of his horn which is what alerted me to the drama.The smaller boat was crewed by a couple who were not spring chickens and it must have been very frightening for them. The pair carried on past the moored boats without slowing and someone on the pub balcony shouted "you lost your waterskier" The reply from the skipper was "I'll show you speed" and he opened the throttle right up sending a wave of water over the stern deck of a boat where the engine cover was open and an engineer was working on the electrics.

The engineer lept off and ran along the towpath remonstrating with him as he unleashed a volley of vile, uneccessary foul language back at the top of his voice. As he came level with Tawny Owl yhere were a group of 7 forum members who had been eating Sue's cake By the time he reached us he was incandescent with rage and his temper was probably not helped by 7 forum members all laughing at him. Of course it was not funny at all but at the time it seemed the best way to fight his bullying. I cannot be sure but the person steering the butty looked extremely young and was working hard to control it as it lurched from the skippers exaggerated use of the throttle and tiller at speed. Some poor woman passenger int

he bow was covering her ears as they passed. I feel so very sorry for paying guests. Basil Fawlty never had a foul mouth!

I am told that if suffucient complaints about a boat with a trade licence are recieved by CART then they will revoke the licence. I am amazed this guy still has his licence. Maybe after those who witnessed his agressive and dangerous behavour on this occasion all place their complaints he may not.

Interestingly I am told one of the witnesses was a reporter from Towpath Telegraph.

I cannot be sure but the person steering the butty looked extremely young and was working hard to control it as it lurched from the skippers exaggerated use of the throttle and tiller at speed.

Yes, when we passed them what looked a fairly young lad was in charge of the butty, and seemed to have to do most of the bow-hauling into locks at Atherstone whilst his master was down below the lock using his prop as an egg whisk.......

Edited by alan_fincher

I really don't think the scoring was based 100% on skill, more of an entertainment. The fact that the pair winding got a 9 meaning 4 1/2 each says something :-).

Not at all, we got 9 each I reckon! I must've been the only full length boat to get around in one without holding back!

a sort of water based Basil Fawlty?? perhaps?

No, Basil Fawlty was usually just a victim of his circumstances with an amusing outcome. The Rev is just a class A ******. One day I'm sure he'll mess with the wrong person and get the punch in the face that is long overdue.

I hope to meet him in a bridgehole at some point.

I'll start. Off the top of my head:-

Laplander

Baltic

Atlantic

Sickle

Tycho

Reginald

Dodona

Thea

Sextans

Canis Major

Nutfield

Raymond

Minnow

Marques

Kestrel

Northolt

Kangaroo

Australia

Otter

Jaguar

Emu

Darley

Chertsey

Aber

Victoria

Archimedes

Elizabeth

Ling

Whitby

Olive

Auriga

One or two C&C boats - can't remember which (Skylark, Swift?)

Python

Lamprey - passing through

Tench

Dove

That's only 36 so there must be another 20!!

Auberon was between Dodona and Thea.

(Honorary historic boat, recently built by Simon Wain. So good it was invited onto the historic boats mooring!)

Mike

(Edited to delete numpty comment.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Both Mike Askin's and Andrew's must have been selected as 'private', so unavailable.

Mike probably doesn't want any incriminating pictures of his evening antics on public display! :cheers:

Auberon was between Dodona and Thea.

(Honorary historic boat, recently built by Simon Wain. So good it was invited onto the historic boats mooring!)

As was Alder.

Can anyone help me out with some info asap?

Who won the Les Lapworth award?

Which boat got the free blacking prize in the illuminated parade?

Who was the named organiser?

Finally, fill in the blanks....

Aber

Aldgate

Alder

Archimedes

Auriga

Atlantic

Australia

Baltic

Barrow

Canis Major