Alvecote Historic Boat Gathering

Featured Posts

I didn't wind in one go, which was the aim for the smaller boats I think!

A very eventful trip all in, having moored up in front of the local dogging hotspot (for real) on Thursday night, an 'incident' involving half a dunking followed by hitting a moored boat that started with effing and blinding and us all thinking their boat was about to sink and ended in us all being firm friends and playing catch with their dogs on Friday, much beer, boating and merriment at the weekend (Ask Ange to post the video of MB slipping off the gunnels in the rally...) :D and plenty of cake.

I may go into more detail when I'm less tired!

Does anyone have any more pics? Seemed like lots of cameras were there!

Edited by Starcoaster

Just a very huge thank you to Malcolm for hosting, Laurence for organising, and everyone else on the Alvecote team. Great hospitality from you all. What a cracking weekend. Thank you so much.

James

I'll second that!

Comment is also in order on the beer from the Church End Brewery. I felt like a Fallen Angel for much of the weekend and I believe there's photos to prove it.... Well done to all concerned! :cheers:

Does anyone have any more pics? Seemed like lots of cameras were there!

We do have quite a bit more, I think, but for some reason our Internet arrangements have been highly "tentative" since about the time we left.

Working only intermittently, and certainly not up to uploading photo albums.

I will try and sort something out in a few days.

We mused that we ought to arrange swaps - we were frantically photographing other passing boats, as they passed us, but you often don't get to see the ones of you.

Shame Tim Lewis was not there - usually a guarantee of some high quality images.

If anyone has footage of my attempts to get back onto the jettys on Saturday, I'd be most grateful if they could arrange not to post it!

Just a very huge thank you to Malcolm for hosting, Laurence for organising, and everyone else on the Alvecote team. Great hospitality from you all. What a cracking weekend. Thank you so much.

James

Who actually organised the event? The marina management? Also, who was the announcer/ commentator - we found him most entertaining?

I took a whole film at the rally, including several photos of boats winding (including Team Fincher and Team Reg). When I get the film back I'll either try to post some, or send them to someone who knows how to post them.

Who actually organised the event? The marina management? Also, who was the announcer/ commentator - we found him most entertaining?

I took a whole film at the rally, including several photos of boats winding (including Team Fincher and Team Reg). When I get the film back I'll either try to post some, or send them to someone who knows how to post them.

Historic boats caught on a historic medium..... ;)

Historic boats caught on a historic medium..... ;)

ER, if you mean what I think you might mean, when my last camera wore out I tried a digital one but really couldn't get on with it (holding the damned thing in mid-air to take a snap was particularly weird), so I have managed to locate a near-mint second-hand proper camera of the same make amd model as my previous one. Now I'm happily snapping again.

Any collectors of vintage cameras out there? I have my late father's beautiful Voigtlander which I don't use and which I would sell to a good home. It has a separate light meter, original leather case and even the original 1959 sales receipt.

ER, if you mean what I think you might mean, when my last camera wore out I tried a digital one but really couldn't get on with it (holding the damned thing in mid-air to take a snap was particularly weird), so I have managed to locate a near-mint second-hand proper camera of the same make amd model as my previous one. Now I'm happily snapping again.

Any collectors of vintage cameras out there? I have my late father's beautiful Voigtlander which I don't use and which I would sell to a good home. It has a separate light meter, original leather case and even the original 1959 sales receipt.

Totally agree with that hence I use one of these -

canon-powershot-g11.jpg

Precisely because it has a 'proper' viewfinder but has an LCD fold out screen if you want to use that.

Are you intending to get the images you've taken burnt on to a CD if so shout up if you have any probs posting them up - I'd be happy to help if you get stuck.

ed to add those Voigtlander's can make decent money on eBay. (depends on the model)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=Voigtlander&_sacat=0

Edited by The Dog House

It's a Vito B and the light meter is a Western or Weston, forgotten which. I have occasionally looked at eBay and the prices they go for vary wildly for no obvious reason.

When I take my films into the photo shop they ask me if I would like a CD and I always decline because I don't know what I would do with it. This time I'll ask for a CD of that film and we'll take it from there, thanks for your offer of help. I assume that if I put the CD into my computer I can send its contents by e-mail?

I assume that if I put the CD into my computer I can send its contents by e-mail?

Correct - depending on how many and how big they are in terms of megabytes you might have to split them across more than one email - or you could just send me the the CD in the post and I'll sort it from there.

Let me know and I'll PM you my email address (we go to France on the 14th Sept note)

I have a great liking for my Olympus OM10, but in all honesty the one that gets used is the Minolta A1. Obsolete now, and overcomplex for my tastes, but the ability to see what you have taken, delete it and try again if not happy, as well as being able to take hundreds of shots, bin most, and keep shooting, leaves film standing in the bag. There are things I miss about SLR 35mm, like the delay with digital between pressing the shutter and having the image saved (improving all the while), whereas the SLR is virtually instant, and the quality of good prints is still IMO better, the wait for film to be processed versus - shoot, load onto a computer, and email to someone within a minute or two, means the digital wins just about every time. And I'm no young computer nerd - a grey beard drawing pension.

Never forget the time I went into a photographic shop in Maidenhead for a B&W film to be developed. "Come back in two weeks Sir, and we should have it back". That was 1980 and colour was a next day service. "We don't get much call for B&W Sir". Didn't go there again.

I missed cake???????? :blink:

Mike Askin has put a good album of photos on Facebook.

However, I'm not convinced they will be visible publicly.

Perhaps someone can advise, and if not, we can persuade Mike to put them in a public group ?

Test link to Mike Askin's Album

Mike Askin has put a good album of photos on Facebook.

However, I'm not convinced they will be visible publicly.

Perhaps someone can advise, and if not, we can persuade Mike to put them in a public group ?

Test link to Mike Askin's Album

This content is currently unavailable

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

Return home

This content is currently unavailable

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

Return home

Shame!

I put mine in a public group, wheras Mike's are I think stored against himself.

We need to try and persuade him to put them up somewhere they can be seen, then.

We all have to get home to do the photos! We sneaked off at lunchtime yesterday, all partied out, and were probably the only boat to turn left out of the marina. I stationed myself at the winding hole on Sunday and got some good ones.

And special congratulations to Blossom and Darley for winning the best turned out boat - an unexpected victory for the minority Grand Union contingent.

• Greenie 2