Alvecote Historic Boat Gathering

Featured Posts

Hmmm,

Nutfield and Raymond have just come by at the kind of speed I can see why some object to!

We are well enough tied up, it seems, (with Chalice), but if the ground was as soggy here as it was at Kingsbury a day ago, I suspect we would now be across the cut.

Rather disappointed in them, TBH.

If any forum members get there and find there is no space to moor, do feel free to breast up to Tawny Owl (unless someone else beats you to it :P )

Do treat her nicely though.

See you all on Saturday evening. :cheers:

Sue

Iona now breasted up with Tawny Owl - thanks Richard & Sue :)

Just turned out of Fazeley Junction and there's a lot of boats going our way! I'm thinking it could take us a while to get through Glascote Locks!

It took just over an hour to do two locks!

Tycho just arrived.

Now 4 Middle Northwich boats present......

"Sextans", "Sickle" & "Tycho", three of the 4 ice-breaker conversions of motor boats"

plus

"Thea" - Butty conversion to motor.

I have put some pictures from the event yesterday into an album on the Facebook group "Canals and Rivers UK"

However I'm not sure if you have to be a Facebook user or member of the group to see them.

Could someone please advise if they can, or not.....

Linky

I'm starting an ex-hire boat section. I reckon Tawny Owl earned far more for her owners over the years than any ex 'working' boat

Richard

This made me giggle, next year we must do this!

We left Alvercote this morning as we need to be back ready for work in a week. Ended mooring Rowan up past the bridge/winding hole - shorter walk to the pub, but we were a bit out of the way.

Hope everyone had fun

:cheers:

Helen

We also left this morning , Rowan following us, sorry if we slowed you up. Really struggled up the Atherstone flight, specially at end of long pound needed to flush down and grounded at lck by pub but forced our way through with a run, Aldgate came through later OK. So good luck guys.

We also left this morning , Rowan following us, sorry if we slowed you up. Really struggled up the Atherstone flight, specially at end of long pound needed to flush down and grounded at lck by pub but forced our way through with a run, Aldgate came through later OK. So good luck guys.

No you didn't slow us at all! :) - Rowan is dog slow, she only has a prop the size of a tuppence!

We only grated the bottom once on the way up but we are not deep draughted (2ft 3ish) compared to a working boat so I can imagine it was a pain :(

I think we were through by 4pm, by which time there were a few more coming down.

See you if you catch up again - we are just short of Nuneaton now and are are not early risers.

H

We're back home again now. What a splendid event. Loved seeing the boats, and particularly watching the turning-round competition.

I did try to speak to fellow forum members. Chertsey the boat was there, Chertsey the person was nowhere to be seen. I said hello to Mr. Fincher but he was deeply into sandwich-munching mode so was not in a fit state to reply. Saw Mrs. F. also, but she bustled past looking as if she was organising something urgent (I can imagine her doing likewise in the Staff Room). Spotted Starry on the patio deck of 'Reginald', but as I drew near she, being shy and retiring, vanished below decks. I did manage a brief conversation with RLWP, surely the most dyslexicised member of our forum.

We watched the parade from the balcony of the 'Samuel Barlow' pub, a great vantage point. Thanks and well done to all those who bothered to bring their boats (we, I am ashamed to say, came by car, but judging by the bulging car park we were not alone).

We're back home again now. What a splendid event. Loved seeing the boats, and particularly watching the turning-round competition.

Felt I was totally robbed in the winding competition..... 7 indeed ! - Mine was worth more than a 7! (They were heavily marking down many of the shorter boats, is my only defense.)

Did you hear the commentary on Sickle following a bit of a gaffe I made the previous day.......

"Sickle" was built for the GUCCCo in 1936 as a working boat, but shortened by the Ministry of War Transport in 1942 to 40 feet to make an ice-breaker tug. It's current owner seemed like he was trying to shorten it further yesterday!......

I did try to speak to fellow forum members. Chertsey the boat was there, Chertsey the person was nowhere to be seen. I said hello to Mr. Fincher but he was deeply into sandwich-munching mode so was not in a fit state to reply. Saw Mrs. F. also, but she bustled past looking as if she was organising something urgent (I can imagine her doing likewise in the Staff Room). Spotted Starry on the patio deck of 'Reginald', but as I drew near she, being shy and retiring, vanished below decks. I did manage a brief conversation with RLWP, surely the most dyslexicised member of our forum.

We watched the parade from the balcony of the 'Samuel Barlow' pub, a great vantage point. Thanks and well done to all those who bothered to bring their boats (we, I am ashamed to say, came by car, but judging by the bulging car park we were not alone).

I'm sorry if I managed to ignore you - oh dear! I do this increasinly, I'm told, as I am becoming progressively more deaf, and am simply often unaware that someone has spoken to me.

I certainly didn't intend to make sandwich munching a higher priority than meeting forum members!

Glad you enjoyed it, anyway.

And, yes, Starry is a tad shy, isn't she! :lol:

Quite a few now here at Lime Kilns on the Ashby, think it might be a bit tight by the time we get to Shakerstone. Yes better than Braunston (although I have only been to Branston by car). Was good to meet a few forum members.

All went very well and I think our official count of historic narrow boats was 55 which is amazing! However, that soon diminished by lunchtime today when the population of Atherstone increased by around 20 of them! We still managed a parade today though. A few more left this evening and some planning to leave in the morning and then all will return to peace and tranquility.

See you at Shackey.

Some of the boats on there way to Alvecote......

"Jaguar"

IMG_3103.jpg

Oo, that'll be me and my dad