Topic of conversation

Chertsey

Featured Posts

It is a Well Known Fact that when boaters in general get together the conversation always turns to what sort of toilet you have got.

This of course does not apply to historic boaters as we all have buckets B)

But I have noticed that there is an equivalent topic of conversation for the owners of (particularly unconverted) ex-working boats, viz: How do you arrange yourselves to sleep two people in a back cabin with a three foot by six foot cross bed...

But I have noticed that there is an equivalent topic of conversation for the owners of (particularly unconverted) ex-working boats, viz: How do you arrange yourselves to sleep two people in a back cabin with a three foot by six foot cross bed...

Well that's the polite version of the conversation!

Well that's the polite version of the conversation!

Well that's the only version anyone's talked to me about! (Or at least I assume it is as it usually involves one person on the cross bed and one on the side bed).... But if you want to start another conversation, I'm all ears....

But not in the beer tent at Braunston, eh Alan?

Not wishing to divert your serious topic but.....

I would love to get a message to the show organisers that loud conversation-stopping music is off-putting to a lot of those attending, who want a chat over a pint, (or three).

The sheer numbers quitting the site for the Mill House, (and no doubt elsewhere), prove what was done is not what a lot of people want, and I wonder what a survey would show if everybody were questioned if it was appropriate.

I also wonder how much beer they still had unsold by the end ? The Mill House must have profited, though!

Not wishing to divert your serious topic but.....

I would love to get a message to the show organisers that loud conversation-stopping music is off-putting to a lot of those attending, who want a chat over a pint, (or three).

The sheer numbers quitting the site for the Mill House, (and no doubt elsewhere), prove what was done is not what a lot of people want, and I wonder what a survey would show if everybody were questioned if it was appropriate.

I also wonder how much beer they still had unsold by the end ? The Mill House must have profited, though!

I think that perhaps individual letters to Tim Coughlan might be the way to go? I know it is very much 'his' show, but apparently he was looking for feedback so it might be something he would take on board.

I think they sold all or very nearly all the beer, certainly they had run out of almost everything by the end of Sunday. So they would need to get in extra if they did do away with the loud bands!

Boathouse, surely

Edited by Chertsey

Boathouse, surely

Yes, it was the Mill House once, but no longer, of course!

never mind that - I have often peered in back cabins and wondered how they got the whole family in there!

You don't have to put a family in there until you have mastered ways of creating one in a back cabin!

It is a Well Known Fact that when boaters in general get together the conversation always turns to what sort of toilet you have got.

This of course does not apply to historic boaters as we all have buckets B)

We have a traditional scumbled thunder box loo in our engine room, we also have a small washing facility with a tank under the floor ! !

gallery_5000_522_73583.jpg

Where does the water go from the basin? Have you cut a hole in the hull?

yes, theres a small drain pipe just above top guard. Water is pumped into the basin by a small submerged pump operated by a press switch concealed under the gunnel. Tank was a plastic storage box converted, basin was a stainless steel bowl converted, whole set up cost less than £50 to do. Well appreciated by all on board.

yes, theres a small drain pipe just above top guard. Water is pumped into the basin by a small submerged pump operated by a press switch concealed under the gunnel. Tank was a plastic storage box converted, basin was a stainless steel bowl converted, whole set up cost less than £50 to do. Well appreciated by all on board.

So we soon got back to toilets, I can't see a nail to put the squares of news paper on, just a fancy wooden loo role holder a white soft stuff.

never mind that - I have often peered in back cabins and wondered how they got the whole family in there!

Terribly bad form to peer into back cabins. Boaters expected/wanted their privacy and gave it in return, so one NEVER allowed one's gaze to wonder inside a back cabin unless invited.

So I'm given to understand.

Mike

So we soon got back to toilets, I can't see a nail to put the squares of news paper on, just a fancy wooden loo role holder a white soft stuff.

Well you need your comforts, even on a work boat. We also have have an inverter, two moods of lighting the back cabin, proper stereo, dvd player, television, a fan, gas hob and a weedhatch. Soon we will have LED lighting in the cupboards - ooo :captain::captain:

Well you need your comforts, even on a work boat. We also have have an inverter, two moods of lighting the back cabin, proper stereo, dvd player, television, a fan, gas hob and a weedhatch. Soon we will have LED lighting in the cupboards - ooo :captain::captain:

Ha we have sonus fitted streaming music through the dongle, we are all just a bunch of wimps really.

I disagree with that statement. Change your circle of boating friends and avoid such conversations.

Wussies!

One day, if I get round to it, I may even add a light to our engine room / toilet compartment!