Why, oh why do we become so attached

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Hi all

Some may remember that we were having health problems with our Dog.

Well today was the day that we had to make 'that' decision to have her put to sleep.

All done very nicely, peacefully and with dignity.

I'm in a right state.

She's okay now, I know, but Margaret and I are the ones in a mess.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.

Martyn

I am really sorry to hear this, I have been through it myself several times and I know exactly how you are feeling.

She is lucky to have had such caring owners, you have done the kindest thing for her, you put her before yourselves which is admirable.

I hope you both feel better soon.

x

'Man' hugs obviously.

Thanks all for your thoughts and kind comments.

Martyn

Martyn, I hate making 'the decision', but at least no more suffering for them. Its us left behind who suffer. I just hope when I get to that stage, I can be put down painlessly. Take care. I managed to stand the isolation for 3 months, then I had to get a replacement

Hi all

Well today was the day that we had to make 'that' decision to have her put to sleep.

I'm in a right state.

Martyn

It is always a hard decision to make but I am sure you made the right one to save her suffering.

I was very upset when our previous dog died and also last year when my little pal of a cat had to be put to sleep. You never forget them but you do indeed have to move on.

I suppose it is part of the process and with the highs of the joy and happiness they bring there is the other side of the coin of the mourning of the loss of them when the time comes.

Take the time to mourn it is a natural process.

Hi all

I'm in a right state.

Martyn

You have done a very kind thing for the animal you loved, we got to that stage at Christmas but our old mutt spared us the decision and passed peacefully in his sleep, we still miss him. BIG hugs xxx

I was upset when I lost my Mum and very upset when Dad passed away (though both lived well into their 80s). But I was bloody devastated when I realised that Elmore, our quite young black cat who had just wandered off a couple of weeks earlier, wasn't going to come back. I was OK until I put his basket etc. away then all of a sudden I was like Niagara effing Falls.

Yes Martyn it's irrational but you are far from being alone!

All the best.

The pain will ease, and you will be left with lots of happy memories.

Maybe it effects us more in such a strange way, when we lose a pet, because they never judge us and are always happy to see us with a wag of a tail or a purr, or a happy chirp.

Just remember 'If you did not love and care, you would not have done the kindest thing for them, and honestly they DO KNOW THAT.

huggles to you all.

So sorry to hear your news.

We still feel the loss of Charlie that we had to have put to sleep in February - I embarrassed myself at the Stoke Bruerne Gala last week bursting into tears over a golden cocker that I stopped to 'talk to'. It is very hard to cope with, but try to focus on happy memories.

The reason we become so attached is because the pet is there the whole time, looking for your affection. Every time you stroke your dog it released oxytocin into the bloodstream of both you and the dog. Oxytocin is the bonding hormone. You get a shot of that every time you interact with your dog - of course you end up attached.

You did the right thing.

Cath

WOW!

Thank You all. I do realise that we're not the only ones to have suffered this loss and it's not the first time for us either, but it don't get any easier.

When I have read threads concerning other members' pets I have often wondered if comments help, I can confirm they do, definitely they do.

I think I need a dash of some Oxytocin. I did read somewhere that you also find it in Guinness, but may be mistaken.

Also the eyes produce Oxytocin where you look at desirable objects like historic boats..........

Thanks again.

Martyn

Hi Martyn

I am sorry to hear your news. We lost one of our dogs in February this year and, even though we have the others to keep our chins up, we still miss him very much though I know that he is now happy playing with his brother in "doggie heaven", or wherever they go after their lives here.

It will hurt for a long while, but time will heal

I managed to stand the isolation for 3 months, then I had to get a replacement

Everyone of course is different, but when the much loved Springer had to be put to sleep, the current rescue Staffie was given a home within a week.

You never forget the old one, but I found that giving another dog a good home helped.

'rio' is/was a staffie. A fabulas breed. Owner depending of course. As I am not working presently and unlikely to in the foreseeable future I think I need anther companion, sorry Margaret, to occupy me during the day. Early days.

A rescue or a puppy to train ourselves. That is a question staffie or jack Russell is another.

I didn't think I'd get another dog, when I had Tommy PTS last September after 14 years of friendship.

I now have two young rescue lurchers of my own and am fostering a homeless one for a rescue charity, until she finds her home for life.

I still find myself feeling sad though, especially when inadvertently calling Sheridan "Tommy" as he shares so many character traits with Tommy when he was young.

Edited by carlt

Sad news. I'm sorry for your loss.

Strange, isn't it, that we can act humanely when it comes to ending an animal's life, yet fail to do so with humans (who actually express a desire to die) in not dissimilar circumstances.