Diesel exhausts do cause cancer, says WHO

Chalky

Featured Posts

I never cease to be amazed by quotes like these suddenly appearing as if someone has just discovered a link between diesel combustion and cancer.

Thirty eight years ago when I was an apprentice diesel engineer,it was drummed into us that carcinogens in exhaust fumes can cause many forms of cancer and raw fuel and oils can give nasty skin complaints etc also leading to some form of big "C". Everything that goes into and exits any type of engine is harmful to a degree and sheer common sense helps us avoid the hazards they behold.

I am expecting to soon see a news bulletin warning us that rain is wet!!.

Thankfully we have a petrol engine.

Oh Bugger , apparently they're harmful too !

Well I'll risk it , I'm not rowing everywhere apparently that increases the chance of a hernia (Been there not too bad I guess)

Sail power anyone ?

Horse anybody? they bite and kick if they feel so minded. I will take my chances with my Lister aircooled horses.Will there be much left when I get old anyway now the Condems are dead set on completing the destruction maggie started.

If you really want to get upset consider that bacon and other cured meats have been blamed for causing stomach cancer so if the diesel fumes don't get you the fry up might.

Horse anybody? they bite and kick if they feel so minded. I will take my chances with my Lister aircooled horses.Will there be much left when I get old anyway now the Condems are dead set on completing the destruction maggie started.

If you really want to get upset consider that bacon and other cured meats have been blamed for causing stomach cancer so if the diesel fumes don't get you the fry up might.

If I have to row my boat , not gonna do it without a Bacon Sarnie !!

After filling my Jerrycans last weekend , I will probably suffer more from wallet stress !

Has anyone fitted an exhaust filter to protect themselves from inhaling any fumes or soot particles?

This would be useful for roof mounted exhaust stacks.

Yep........

When ye olde JP is on full chat, I breath through my nose and wipe the soot out of my eyes

;)

It's the microparticulates that do it-hence the black smoke controls on modern diesels. An argument for thoughtful use of the throttle on older ones, I guess.

I think we all know that many inhaled substances are likely to cause cancer or other serious diseases - but is that a good reason to stop breathing?

When I was being driven around with my head sticking out the top of a vehicle with a 550bhp diesel, no silencer and the exhaust just in front and right of the turret, I used to filter the air with a Marlboro Light. It certainly tasted better than raw diesel exhaust!

Thankfully we have a petrol engine.

Oh Bugger , apparently they're harmful too !

Well I'll risk it , I'm not rowing everywhere apparently that increases the chance of a hernia (Been there not too bad I guess)

Sail power anyone ?

Even the methane exhaust fumes from the horse drawn boats is harmful (to the ozone layer). Allegedly!

We're all going to die. This planet one day will die; might be a few million even billion years, but it will die.

It usually pays to be sensible, but it is possible to suffer health problems from worrying about things.

Enjoy your life whist trying not to spoil that of others.

Is this the same World Health Organization that declared the swine 'flu "pandemic"?

No danger of any scaremongering here, then.

Indeed.