Storing a Boat Pole Inside

Featured Posts

Hi

Looking for some suggestions on how to store the 14 foot long boat pole inside our narrowboat.

Are there any decorative brackets (wood or metal)available that would be suitable or do I have to improvise?

Many thanks

have you considered brass handrail brackets with one of the ends sawn off, Screwfix do them, here :- http://www.screwfix.com/p/handrail-bracket-polished-brass-65mm/31299

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

Hi

Looking for some suggestions on how to store the 14 foot long boat pole inside our narrowboat.

Are there any decorative brackets (wood or metal)available that would be suitable or do I have to improvise?

Many thanks

I've rarely had to use a 14ft pole inside a boat, and therefore store it outside!

Or do you think yours might get nicked?

I've rarely had to use a 14ft pole inside a boat, and therefore store it outside!

Or do you think yours might get nicked?

I'd share that view, when I owned Ripple I used to lend her to friends, and one of them (a trip boat steerer) would always leave her with all the roof caboodle inside. (In all other ways he was easily the most competent person I lent the boat to). Thus the boat might spend a a week in, say, Congleton moored before I collected her, and I always worried that all the kit being inside meant it was very obvious the boat was unoccupied for some time.

Not sure that's a good idea Bazza - the note says :

Note - The handrail has to be cut it cannot go straight through the bracket.

Bugger! Well spotted that man

Very simple, depending on boat layout!

Didn't want to drill holes in roof, racks seemed very expensive anyway.

Already had two bookshelves fitted along the corridor, drill large holes in each end, boat pole slides through. When needed simply dip down, grab, pull and you have your boathook!

Very simple, depending on boat layout!

Didn't want to drill holes in roof, racks seemed very expensive anyway.

Already had two bookshelves fitted along the corridor, drill large holes in each end, boat pole slides through. When needed simply dip down, grab, pull and you have your boathook!

You would have to drill a location hole through all the books too.They'd all be skewered like a Kebab.

You could mount two nice brass Rollocks and rest you pole in those. :closedeyes:

We stow ours on the floor when we're away from the boat (since our moorings landlord told us that items kept on roofs had been removed in the area). It hasn't fallen off yet.

• Greenie 1

I think it must be me but why store a pole inside the boat when you need to use it outside?

It depends how you use your boat. As Tawny Owl spends a lot of time moored up on her own on the towpath side, we put the long shaft inside

That would make no sense for the way you use your boat

Richard

Hi

Many thanks

If I was going to store out pole inside I would tie two loops of cord into eyelet hooks screwed under the gunnels a poles length apart in the corridor and suspend it out of the way along the wall.

Would it be possible to drill a hole in the handle of the pole and attach a metal line or chain to attach to a eyelet on roof like a centre line eye for instance. Then it would be much harder to walk off with.

I think it must be me but why store a pole inside the boat when you need to use it outside?

I think it must be...

So it doesn't get stolen when they are not on the boat...maybe?

We have both been drawn into a linguistic trap. Note the 'when' in Sue's sentence.

It would be foolish to have a shaft stored inside a boat just when you need to use it. That's why we take ours out when we go boating and put it back at the end of playtime

Richard