Night cruising

Featured Posts

'Curtain twitchers' - a slightly derogatory name for someone who may, quite understandably, wonder who it is that has disturbed their sleep in the early hours.

I agree.

I always had a look to see who was going past, in the early hours, out of curiosity not irritation.

On occasion I've even shoved some clothes on and joined the night time cruise.

'Curtain twitchers' - a slightly derogatory name for someone who may, quite understandably, wonder who it is that has disturbed their sleep in the early hours.

Spending time on a canal boat is supposed to be restful!! No matter how slowly you pass a moored, occupied boat, you will still wake up the occupants.

Don't give a second thought to these curtain twitchers though, because as this poster has told you- you'll be fine

You won't wake me!

And people on boats should expect to hear/feel the passage of other boats. The canals are a shared resource after all.

You won't wake me!

And people on boats should expect to hear/feel the passage of other boats. The canals are a shared resource after all.

The road outside my house is a shared resource, but I wouldn't expect people to be making a noise outside it in the early hours.

I'm not saying that nightime cruising should be banned - just don't delude yourself with the belief that the pleasure/convenience of your nightime cruise isn't disturbing others.

The road outside my house is a shared resource, but I wouldn't expect people to be making a noise outside it in the early hours.

I'm not saying that nightime cruising should be banned - just don't delude yourself with the belief that the pleasure/convenience of your nightime cruise isn't disturbing others.

So you dont expect people to use the road outside your house at night. Just what is the curfew on your road? :wacko:

Back in the world of normality, there is nothing stopping you using your boat at night provided local byelaws allow it and you are suitable kitted out to see and be seen. You do still need to slow down for moored boats as you would in daylight and often slightly more than you normally would because boats moving in the dark for what ever reason always sound as though they are travelling quicker than they actually are.

It is quite possible to travel at night and not disturb other boats. The last time we were in Wells a boat arrived on the very early morning tide (1am ish)and rafted up to us. We didnt know it was there until we awoke the next morning at 8am :rolleyes:

If those working locks wear a head torch, whilst you may look complete twerps,

Not really: as it will be dark, any onlooker will be able to see only the torch's beam, not the possible twerp who lurks behind it.

Surely it's only a matter of seconds, couple of minutes at the most that a passing boat causes any sort of disturbance.

Yes we were once disturbed by a boat at around 2am but it was going flat out with loud music blaring too... I don't think however that is what the OP is proposing to do (The 5mph comment aside :lol: )

Would you expect the road to be closed during the day if you worked nights?

I have travelled at night but only up to about 10pm and being on my own won't do locks in the dark. I do go very slowly past other boats (infact I go very slowly at all times - whether in the boat or not).

It is lovely particularly if there is a nice moon.

Spending time on a canal boat is supposed to be restful!! No matter how slowly you pass a moored, occupied boat, you will still wake up the occupants.

Don't give a second thought to these curtain twitchers though, because as this poster has told you- you'll be fine

And what about the noisy ducks!@!

SOMETHING SHOULD BE DONE.

That's a very good point a BW key is essential for electric locks and also a spare windlas for when you drop one in the drink.

Why don't you ask on the Forum if any more experienced boaters are available to help you some or all of the way? I brought my boat, a 57ft widebeam, from Watford to Bishop's Stortford solo and as a novice when I first bought it and although I didn't have any major problems I wasn't in a rush and it would have been a lot less stressful with someone who had an idea of what they were doing.

Thinking about it, I'm sure there's a long list of essential items you will need. Have you got mooring pins and a club hammer, Nicholsons Guide, suitable ropes (2 centre ropes makes single handing a lot easier), boat hook? I'm sure there's lots more.

And don't forget to take a bow as you successfully exit Camden Lock, there will be a lot of tourists taking pictures! Good Luck.

You've got a boat hook Grahame? I've never seen it.And i know your now poleless and minus one alluminium windlass. The rivers still rising here and now running very fast.Are you jambed fast beneath Keckseys farm railway bridge,train spotting? :unsure:

Edited by bizzard

Except that generally on most BW waters a narrow boat does not need any type of navigation light, because if you consult the bye-laws narrow boats are treated as a special case where only a white light to the front is required on navigations where other boats are required to have far more......

I believe that the statement made in this thread that a narrow boat would need navigation lights at night on the Lee and Stort is incorrect. From my reading of the byelaws, only this bit applies......

Yes, I assumed a passage from Cassio Bridge to Roydon in a tearing hurry was unlikely to take in any navigation authorities other than BW. No doubt there are other requirements on (say) the Manchester Ship Canal too, but that wasn't the question being asked!

Yes, this is very good advice, in my view.

If those working locks wrar a head torch, whilst you may look complete twerps, it means your hands remain free, but (even more important in my view!), the steerer 10 foot down behind the closed gates of a near "black hole" lock, actually has some hope of seeing where his crew are, and what they are doing.

Strongly recommended, based on our experience.

I know of two narrowboats that were told by BW at Sheering mill lock on the Stort to tie up for the night for traveling without nav lights at night when returning from the IWA boat festival at Waltham Abbey in the 1990's

And as the OP's boat is a wide-beam i doubt that it would be exempt.

To the OP I would have thought at this time of year you could be cruising in some sort of light between 5am and 9pm...that would certainly be long enough day on the tiller for me.

...can't you just get up early?

I've done a fair bit of night cruising, particularly in winter, and appreciate people want to have a nosey. what I do object to though is the people who come outside and shine a torch in my face to see who it is.

We shall be partaking in a little night time jaunt this evening. I am quite looking forward to it. NC hasnt moved for a couple of weeks due to the weather so what better way to start off the weekend than a night time cruise. Should be proper dark as well by the time we set off because we have a few "issues" to sort out before we can set off for the evening, so wont be setting sail until about 9pm :cheers:

It doesn't really get dark in London, this time of year.

Especially not up here in the 'Nam, the tube depot floodlights take care of that!

We will have a half and half journey tonight. Burton Waters to Saxilby is fairly well lit due to the lights on the A57 and through the village but once the A57 has finally departed company with the ditch we will be in proper darkness with very little light polution until we are on the approach to Torksey. :cheers:

Thinking back, the earliest I've set off before is 3.30AM and the latest I've been on the move till is about 2AM.

It's suprising how many curtain twitchers you get as you pass boats, but as long as you follow the rules of the road like you would during day light hours, as in slowing for passing moored boats etc. you'll be fine.

It makes a nice change knowing that you'll (more than likely!) have a nice clear road and so don't have to think about meeting other boats in bridge holes or on blind bends.

I would curtain twitch, just to see who I was and give them a wave.

We shall be partaking in a little night time jaunt this evening. I am quite looking forward to it. NC hasnt moved for a couple of weeks due to the weather so what better way to start off the weekend than a night time cruise. Should be proper dark as well by the time we set off because we have a few "issues" to sort out before we can set off for the evening, so wont be setting sail until about 9pm :cheers:

I hope you both come back!

what I do object to though is the people who come outside and shine a torch in my face to see who it is...

Or the million candle spot light.

I hope you both come back!

Run out of greenies but definitely the funniest post of the day.

Lorries rattle past my house 24/7. What gives you the right to an easy life.... :closedeyes: