Easter Sunday in Worcester

Victor Vectis

Featured Posts

Mike don't get you knickers in a twist, I was just commenting on all the fuss that was drawn to them on the thread a couple of weeks ago when they were going to the event and now all the fuss people are making against them on there return. I personally couldn't care less what people do and was defentley not a threat in any way!! Just my dry sense of humour . And yes I do know one of the sterrers and both boats and way before the boats were in there hands.

Darren

Ah, but I did get someone's in a twist:

th_knickers.jpg

they were found around my prop after coming down the Droitwich to Worcester. (My lawers tell me that I must point out they don't belong to any of the girls on Canis Major!) :blush:

Darren - Please remember there isn't any intonation on the internet, so if your humour is that dry please try to show it somehow. I did wonder if you were being "funny".

Cheers,

Mike

Oh, we passed loads of working boats, many of them owned by Viking Afloat.

Richard

Ahh

Nice to see you understand that hire boat revenue contributes vastly more to our canal system than " Historic " boats. ;)

Tim

This thread has reminded me or a recent trip when we were moored up the Middlewich branch during the day and first of all a hire boat came past with a bow wave of which the QE2 would have been proud. A wee while later a working boat (one of the ones in the piccie) came past and put the hire boat to shame. He almost managed to get the breaking wash on the non towpath side to go over the top of the banking. I reckon if he hadn't cut back his speed a bit to pass us, he would have succeeded.

Neither boat affected our boat as we were moored on rings with springs.

Haggis.

I'm guess that's me, since I was the only one of that lot to come along there. I didn't think anyone was aboard when I passed - you must have been hiding.

As to the wash - it is piled along both sides along there, and I dropped my revs and wash before reaching you. It wasn't just the springs that stopped you moving, as I don't move any other properly tied boats either. For the most part I was just about making 4 mph along there, which makes a nice change as it's rare to be able to make such good speeds on narrow canals.

Cheers,

Mike

Archimedes did'nt cause us any problems when they passed us at calf heath and they had a reasonable load on.

Guilty of coming out of a few locks on the thames 3 abreast for about 100 yards.

Personally thought the pics where fab and now the full story is out can we stop slagging people of for having a bit of fun and doing no harm to anyone.

As has been stated boating is all about enjoying yourself, just let it go. :cheers:

I'm guess that's me, since I was the only one of that lot to come along there. I didn't think anyone was aboard when I passed - you must have been hiding.

As to the wash - it is piled along both sides along there, and I dropped my revs and wash before reaching you. It wasn't just the springs that stopped you moving, as I don't move any other properly tied boats either. For the most part I was just about making 4 mph along there, which makes a nice change as it's rare to be able to make such good speeds on narrow canals.

Cheers,

Mike

I think I was actually walking along the towpath with the dogs when you passed and yes, you did slow down when you passed our boat. That's an interesting point that the canal is piled on both sides there. Is it OK to have a breaking wash against piling? I am asking as I genuinely don't know and have never heard it said before.

Your boat looked good.

haggis

I think I was actually walking along the towpath with the dogs when you passed and yes, you did slow down when you passed our boat. That's an interesting point that the canal is piled on both sides there. Is it OK to have a breaking wash against piling? I am asking as I genuinely don't know and have never heard it said before.

Your boat looked good.

haggis

Thanks. The breaking wash argument is that it breaks down the banks - but it would take a long time with concrete...

I also wouldn't get anywhere with a 3 foot 3 inch draft without a bit of breaking wash now and again - people don't realise just how variable the channel is on the canal when they are over a foot away from the bottom.

Cheers,

Mike

Your boat looked good.

haggis

Wash that breaches piling ie goes over the top of it is bad as it can wash out the backing to it.

Thanks. The breaking wash argument is that it breaks down the banks - but it would take a long time with concrete...

I also wouldn't get anywhere with a 3 foot 3 inch draft without a bit of breaking wash now and again - people don't realise just how variable the channel is on the canal when they are over a foot away from the bottom.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi

Hydrodynamic " Squat " effect surely means the faster you go on shallow water the nearer the bottom you will be. A breaking wash means you are using more power than is actualy propeling the boat along and if you knock the revs off a tad you will use less fuel and do the same speed over the ground. :cheers:

Tim

Hi

Hydrodynamic " Squat " effect surely means the faster you go on shallow water the nearer the bottom you will be. A breaking wash means you are using more power than is actualy propeling the boat along and if you knock the revs off a tad you will use less fuel and do the same speed over the ground. :cheers:

Tim

I have an accurate GPS telling me my speed, and so I know how much power to put on. You are right to some degree, but there are other factors which sometimes means more power does help. It's also just not for speed, but for steering - sometimes putting up the revs helps keep the boat in the deep water channel.

One of the important factors is centre channel depth - it could be deep in the middle, but shallow at the edges (like the Middlewich branch), or shallow in the middle and even shallower at the edge like the main shroppie branch were it was really a case of slowing down to speed up.

While it looks like the wash is going over the top of the concrete, actually it's only a little higher than normal canal level due to the reduction of water height due to suction - in bridges, at speed, more than a foot lower! It's rare Victoria can put a wash on the bank, usually only splashes at best.

Actually, you'd be surprised just how deep the main channel of most canals are - mainly I suspect with boats washing the bottom away over the years as it's often hard. The biggest problem is the need for spot dredging and silt (channel width).

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mykaskin

Personally thought the pics where fab and now the full story is out can we stop slagging people of for having a bit of fun and doing no harm to anyone.

As has been stated boating is all about enjoying yourself, just let it go. :cheers:

Second that - the pics were great and the slagging rather sad.

So do I take it then that it is only necessary to slow down past moored boat if someone is aboard?

But (since the original point of this thread is getting lost) - great pictures and no harm done so what is the fuss? I just wish we had been coming the other way!

Edited by nicknorman

Actually, you'd be surprised just how deep the main channel of most canals are - mainly I suspect with boats washing the bottom away over the years as it's often hard. The biggest problem is the need for spot dredging and silt (channel width).

Cheers,

Mike

No-one would br going anywhere if it wasn't for deep draughted boats ploughing a channel. Or we could wait for CRT to dredge it.

If the canals were dredged to design draft things would be different but they ain't so they ain't

For a microsecond I though Asdaman meant he couldnt pass judgement because he wasn't there and then I realised it was clumsy sarcasm.

Edited by Chris Pink

For a microsecond I though Asdaman meant he couldnt pass judgement because he wasn't there and then I realised it was clumsy sarcasm.

Oh, castigation from you Chris feels like..... well like bog all actually...

Like, the waterways would be more resilient to drought for instance

Richard

Well they are where we boat, but that's a different thread...

Edited by MJG

Good on you! I think the pictures are great (thanks to Sam for posting them), and what is boating if you can not have some fun.

I think the pictures are great.

Now it sounds like I am having a go at Martin..

Well I am not.

He amongst others has provided the fuel for a discussion. But I think that the whole premis of leisure boating is to have fun.

Was anybody hurt or upset by this, who was on the river at the time?

Think not. Have another tipple of choice and chill. :cheers:

( Bizzard is my role model, so laid back he is horizontal !)

Edited by johnmck

Do you know how wide the Severn is Martin - there are trip boats on there maybe as wide as three narrow boats breasted up. I can't agree with Laurence - I think they are unlikely to have come unstuck doing this, frankly, as the minimum draught quoted on the Severn, even at low water levels is 5 feet, and none of these boats will be anywhere near the bottom, in my view.

Obviously done for fun, but (:tounge_slightly_in_cheek:) I can see potential advantages - they need to occupy a limited 70 foot of lock landing, not over 250 foot of lock landing - so can still leave room for others!

Canis Major belongs to Tiggers, on this forum, as had been said Victoria to Mike Askin, and Archimedes steerer is undoubtedly "Tug Major" on here.

Like David, I also think 4th boat is Emu - so there is plenty here for people to continue to moan at, I feel sure, given the complaints when Archimedes and Emu passed North through Cow Roast!

I'm not sure if Emu's owner lurks here or not.

Agree - No real probs with that ! Wonder how it steered tho ! :blush:

Due to old age & the fact we havent been down for a few yrs I cant remember if the Severn locks will take 4x Narrow beam boats so maybe a 'untie' when they reached one !

Towed a cruiser back to our yard (Breakdown) side by side a couple of weeks ago - Most folks aboard NB's / Widebeams laughed when I proclaimed 'Sorry Its a poormans Widebeam!'

As Mike has explained, Emu wanted to get off, untied from the pontoon and took us with him. We went along like this for around 5mins as we got things sorted (and there was enough room to get a barge either side of us), and I was rather thankful, as my engine was badly overheating.

Like I said, it was great fun, I didnt realise that was synonymous with showboating. We didn't do it for anyone else but ourselves, we didn't upset anyone, we didn't cause danger to anyone else, or anyones boat, and the moment the river narrowed, we untied and singled out.

Seriously, have you nothing better to do with your time then complain when people are having a bit of fun?

I am sick to death of people tarring me with the 'you own an historic boat, so you must be an inconsiderate boater'. I have kept quiet on so many occasions on this forum, and watched as people have judged others from what they have read or heard. If at some point I do upset anyone else by being inconsiderate, I will be the first to apologise, but as of yet, and to my knowledge, that has never been the case.

And as for Archimedes and Emu, Jay and Michael are two of the loveliest people I have had the pleasure of meeting, it is just a shame that some people will never know that, as they wont give them the time of day purely from something they have read on here

:) I enjoyed seeing those pictures and I am sure that you had a lot of fun and just enjoyed the experience, and as you have explained it was for a very short time on a wide stretch of river. You know what, you can never please all of the people all of the time, as long as you know that you are not an inconsiderate boater, then ignore. I too recall the fun we had doing a full circle on tixall wide,many moons ago ;)

:) I enjoyed seeing those pictures and I am sure that you had a lot of fun and just enjoyed the experience, and as you have explained it was for a very short time on a wide stretch of river. You know what, you can never please all of the people all of the time, as long as you know that you are not an inconsiderate boater, then ignore. I too recall the fun we had doing a full circle on tixall wide,many moons ago ;)

Last time we were traversing Tixall Wide (Maybe at 5mph :rolleyes: ) we passed a NB coming the other way who shook his fist as we said hello !!!!! Oh dear were we creating a wash (I doubt it)

I had a moment of 'Water Rage' then ploughed on reducing speed as we left the 'wide'

Ahh Welll............

Last time we were traversing Tixall Wide (Maybe at 5mph :rolleyes: ) we passed a NB coming the other way who shook his fist as we said hello !!!!! Oh dear were we creating a wash (I doubt it)

I had a moment of 'Water Rage' then ploughed on reducing speed as we left the 'wide'

Ahh Welll............

;) well it was 20 years ago but the memory of it still brings a smile to my face :rolleyes:

Got back from our Easter jaunt on Sunday and I'm getting round to sorting my photos.

We were heading downriver, just short of Worcester city centre, minding our own business, and look what came round the bend.....

DSCF1783.jpg

We got out of their way, got the camera out and ENJOYED :clapping:

DSCF1786.jpg

I don't know what the Viking Afloat boat following us made of it though!

DSCF1787.jpg

I have a feeling that Victoria and Canis Major belong to CWDF members. I couldn't see a name on the other two boats.

It fair made our afternoon, the sound as much as the sight. Thank you all, ever so much :captain:

Now, repeat after me "I do not want a boat with a trad engine, I do not want a boat with a trad engine, I do not want a boat with a trad engine"

SAM

Ryde

IOW

May I also add that the photo is really great and thank you for taking it and sharing it.Thanks also to the historic boat owners who made my week really great at Droitwich.I moored up Isis in the basin on the Tuesday and Wednesday before Easter and was able to take in the atmosphere. Having finished my week on our shared narrowboat I have another hobby running,had great pleasure,whilst out on a long Sunday run seeing a working boat and butty being taken through the lock at the navvigation pub, Staffs and Worcester. They really have made a difference to the midlands canal/river scene in the last few days.Please come again soon!