Boat Identification

RogerM

Featured Posts

Roger I notice in your album you have a section on FMC boats. If you are into collecting other people's photos, you might be interested in these. The two boats (hulls) were built side by side under the same order number by W J Yarwood of Northwich in 1929. Panther was delivered to Saltley for completion, whilst Python was taken to Uxbridge for fitting out. The photographs were taken on the first occasion since that time (as far a we know) that they were together, celebrating their eightieth year. Panther as can be seen is owned the Coventry Canal Society and is used regularly as a rubbish boat collecting same from the Coventry Canal. Python is in the hands of the Chesterfield Canal Society who use her as an educational craft.

DSCN0452.jpg

DSCN0447.jpg

DSCN0444.jpg

DSCN0441-1.jpg

I own the copyrite so feel free to use them or not as you wish. I have a bette picture of Panther if you want it.

braunston2005crop.jpg

Tony.

These two boats were regularly moored on the offside below Acton's lock on the Regent's canal in the late 1980s and early 1990s, often together. Jack.

Previous photo: Siberia on the outside is ex BCN day boat, converterted for camping use by WFBCo c1982, originally with steel back cabin and cloths followed shortly afterwards by the wooden top seen in the photo. At a guess the butty on the inside is Bakewell. Location is just below Shop Lock, Stockton.

Strange that they named it 'Siberia'. No doubt some connection (guilty conscience ? ;) ) with them naming another boat 'Gambia', when it was really over 60' of the original FMC Siberia, and only about 9' of the Gambia.

Strange that they named it 'Siberia'. No doubt some connection (guilty conscience ? ;) ) with them naming another boat 'Gambia', when it was really over 60' of the original FMC Siberia, and only about 9' of the Gambia.

That was the reason if I remember correctly, a tip of the hat to the part of Siberia which became Gambia.

• 4 weeks later...

Once again I'd like to convey my thanks to the members of this forum for their generous help with boat identification for my embryonic website. Hopefully one day I will attain the necessary knowledge to identify myself more of the boats that I photograph. Let's just say I'm working on it and modest progress is being made!

Reading between the lines of my preamble, you may have correctly ascertained that I have another batch of identification-related questions :-)

My first enquiry relates to the vessels in the yard behind the Midland Chandlers premises at Braunston. There appears to be a wooden motor, a butty of some description and what looks like an ice boat of some sort. Can anyone provide names?

Secondly, and still at Braunston, I photographed this dredger a few days ago. There are no identifying markings but the hull looks as though it may have some history to it so can anyone enlighten me? Dredger

Thirdly, once again at Braunston, I spotted this rather lovely vessel. Rennie

I appreciate this one might be a bit of a long shot but can anyone help?

Finally, there are one or two other new ones in my Identification Parade on the site, so please do take a look: http://canalsidecamera.weebly.com/identification-parade.html

Many thanks in advance, Roger.

Once again I'd like to convey my thanks to the members of this forum for their generous help with boat identification for my embryonic website. Hopefully one day I will attain the necessary knowledge to identify myself more of the boats that I photograph. Let's just say I'm working on it and modest progress is being made!

Reading between the lines of my preamble, you may have correctly ascertained that I have another batch of identification-related questions :-)

My first enquiry relates to the vessels in the yard behind the Midland Chandlers premises at Braunston. There appears to be a wooden motor, a butty of some description and what looks like an ice boat of some sort. Can anyone provide names?

Secondly, and still at Braunston, I photographed this dredger a few days ago. There are no identifying markings but the hull looks as though it may have some history to it so can anyone enlighten me? http://www.flickr.co...rks/7154326203/

Thirdly, once again at Braunston, I spotted this rather lovely vessel. http://www.flickr.co...rks/7154321451/

I appreciate this one might be a bit of a long shot but can anyone help?

Finally, there are one or two other new ones in my Identification Parade on the site, so please do take a look: http://canalsidecame...ion-parade.html

Many thanks in advance, Roger.

Briefly-

the boats on the bank at Braunston are ex-FMC wooden motor boat CLEE (1947), ex-John Knill/Barlow/Blue Line butty LUCY (1953) and an ex-icebreaker of unknown name (if it ever had one) said to be ex-Trent and Mersey canal. Linky

The dredger is IIRC the SUSAN, formerly owned by Matty's in Birmingham and formed from the rear part of a BCN motor boat bulit by Harris Brothers of Bumblehole. The only other BCN motor boat I am aware of is the Ben.

The tug at Union Canal Carriers is the RENNIE which I believe once operated on the Thames and River Wey. It was built by Pollocks of Faversham but has been much butchered in recent years.

Hope that helps.

Paul

Briefly-

the boats on the bank at Braunston are ex-FMC wooden motor boat CLEE (1947), ex-John Knill/Barlow/Blue Line butty LUCY (1953) and an ex-icebreaker of unknown name (if it ever had one) said to be ex-Trent and Mersey canal. Linky

The dredger is IIRC the SUSAN, formerly owned by Matty's in Birmingham and formed from the rear part of a BCN motor boat bulit by Harris Brothers of Bumblehole. The only other BCN motor boat I am aware of is the Ben.

The tug at Union Canal Carriers is the RENNIE which I believe once operated on the Thames and River Wey. It was built by Pollocks of Faversham but has been much butchered in recent years.

Hope that helps.

Paul

The dredger may be one that was built at Bulls Bridge in the early 1970's, they constructed one out of the spare plates held in the stores for the GU fleet. There were many repunched fore end and stern end plates in the store and at least one complete fore end. I saw these when I went down with Ken Keay to survey a motor he was interested in buying, there was no one about so we sneaked around the place having a good look at what was in there, it was a treasure trove of boat bits.

Mattys former "Susan" was a wooden tug they had which became "Clevandra" and languished at Braunston for many years. I cant remember seeing a dredger at Mattys with a name.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

A couple of updates:-

#14. I seem to recall John Forth telling me that Newbury was built by Braunston Canal Services (Balliol Fowden) around 1980 just before they built our boat.

#16. Achilles converted into a motor by Roger Farrington in 2011 for his own use, I understand that the butty back end is now the front end of another modern hull.

The dredger is IIRC the SUSAN, formerly owned by Matty's in Birmingham and formed from the rear part of a BCN motor boat bulit by Harris Brothers of Bumblehole.

Yes that matches with what Anthony (who owns it) told me - though I don't remember if he said it was called Susan .

I understand that the butty back end is now the front end of another modern hull.

It on the bank at Cassio being fitted out. Owned by John Pattle's son Tom.

Hope that helps.

Paul

Paul, thanks to your information I have found the tug listed on this excellent site: http://www.lighteragetugs.co.uk/MARITIME---ROTIFER.php so that one is now nicely tied up (if you'll excuse the pun). Many thanks indeed.

Roger

#16. Achilles converted into a motor by Roger Farrington in 2011 for his own use, I understand that the butty back end is now the front end of another modern hull.

Thanks - this ties in with what several people have said so I'll remove the picture to its proper place in the GUCCC section now. Much appreciated.

Roger

• 1 month later...

Bonus points for identifying a further boat in the picture.... ;)

This is what Pete said:

It is claimed that the gauge number for this boat is B.C.N. 22540 - 22 July 1916 - 2 (no name) - Chance & Hunt Ltd., Oldbury - cabin wood boat with 5 beams. The gauge table also lists subsequent owners as G. J. Eveson Coal & Coke Co. Ltd. and in March 1932 W.H. Matty & Co. (correct order of ownership), the boat being renamed MERSEY 24 in April 1923 but I am unsure who for. Intersetingly the three versions of this table I have seen are crossed out with the words "cut up 25/11/1936" or "cut up 01/12/1936", which puts some doubt as to whether this is the correct gauge number for this boat !

I then have this boat appearing as CHANCE TWO in the 1970's. It was converted to a motor house boat in 1972 using Hotchkiss cones coupled to an Enfield 2 cylinder diesel 18hp @ 1800 r.p.m., although it may have been an unpowered house boat prior to this date. Since then it has had several owners dotted all over the place and has been named VALENTINE, MERSEY, HERITAGE and now CHANCE 2 again.

I hope this goes some way to answering your question. I am sure Carl will be able to expand on my details.

I was unable to add much at all:

It's a Nurser ex Tarboat, actually called Chance 2, iirc, and it used to be moored up at Long Itchington, on the GU.

Formerly worked by Chance & Hunt chemical company, after being sold on, by Thomas Claytons.

I can't remember the Claytons name, off the top of my head (shame on me) so I'll head for the books.

Chance 2 is I believe an ex Clayton's Tar/oil boat, that had until recently been based in Lincoln. Before Easter her new owners & the gang from Spey towed her from Lincoln to Chester, we met them in Chester just as they arrived so we tied up and had a celebratory pint in Telfords Warehouse with them :cheers:

In the background I can see Tonka owned by Jan , Lemontones on here.

Cheers, Brian

It's a Nurser ex Tarboat, actually called Chance 2, iirc, and it used to be moored up at Long Itchington, on the GU.

I seem to remember Chance 2 lurking around the Lapworth area in the mid 70s - I think it was moored on the South Stratford (then under National Trust control).

• 4 years later...