Wardle Lock cottage

dor

Featured Posts

Wardle Lock Cottage (where Maureen lived) was sold last night by BW for £111,000.

I did have a good look at it, and it needed a lot of work to bring it up to scratch. Very limited access and about 20 pages of conditions and covenants. Would have been of interest to make into a holiday let, but needed to be about half the hammer price!

No mooring, not even somewhere to park a car. Very serious damp problems – needed the floor lifting and a membrane put down along with some tanking of the sides and a damp course. Needed rewiring, also plumbing pretty suspect. Upstairs floors rotten in places. Only two bedrooms upstairs, could just about squeeze a small en-suite in to one of them (listed status permitting), otherwise toilet & shower were off the far side of the kitchen downstairs. No ground behind as the gardens there come right up to the wall with just a small yard at one end, half covered with a conservatory that has to be removed. About 20 pages of conditions and covenants from BW. Roof looked sound though. I might have been interested at half that price – would make an interesting holiday let, pretty impractical as a home.

The guide price was £110 - £120K. I suspect £110K was the reserve. A more cynical person than me might also wonder whether it did indeed sell or did the auctioneer just talk it up to just over the guide price in the hope someone went in with a bid (as if an auctioneer would do such a thing…).

Maybe if BW had kept these cottages then they would now be able to offer a free house to a volunteer part time lock keeper, which they are now advertising for.

? Dumping it quicky so that they can say to the Trust "didn't we do well" - bonus please.

Perhaps the purchaser will see sense and back out on the basis of unfair cotract terms.

Restrictive covenants will always cause problems in future sales - even if they are unenforceable.

Nonetheless there's nowt so queer as folk - people aren't careful enough to weigh up the advantages and disadvantages of a property - people complaining about Church bells ringing next to the house that they've just bought, or a lady up my lane complaining about a muddy tractor outside her door - it's a farm lane for heavens sake. She sold....

It did indeed sell. To my husband & I. Having both grown up boating we will not be moaning about the boats or clunk of paddle gear! We intend to restore the property to become our family home, living there with our 2 young daughters and a bouncy dog. We are fully aware of it's current condition and the covenants. We will no doubt see some of you as you pass by our home.

It did indeed sell. To my husband & I. Having both grown up boating we will not be moaning about the boats or clunk of paddle gear! We intend to restore the property to become our family home, living there with our 2 young daughters and a bouncy dog. We are fully aware of it's current condition and the covenants. We will no doubt see some of you as you pass by our home.

Wonderful to hear that it's gone to someone who loves boating! Once you've got the inside right it will be the perfect place to gongoozle from. You'll have to go out and tell people off when they don't do the lock properly!

Wonderful to hear that it's gone to someone who loves boating! Once you've got the inside right it will be the perfect place to gongoozle from. You'll have to go out and tell people off when they don't do the lock properly!

Will you be coming out to help us through the lock just like Maureen did?

Maybe not every boat ;) I'm sure when the girls are older they'll be happy to help too - may even sell you homemade biscuits or other delights!

But that does remind me that my Dad promised us a brass windlass if we got it!

Edited by BubbleFizz

When I'm passing through can you give me grief about not polishing my brass (after having single handed it down the Cheshire Locks) then I'll have it all polished on my way back from the port a few days later ;-).

Really glad it's been bought by boaters, Good Luck with all the works.

Congrats.

Martyn

Maybe not every boat ;) I'm sure when the girls are older they'll be happy to help too - may even sell you homemade biscuits or other delights!

Congratulations on your purchase :cheers:

I have a soft spot for Middlewich and have just got home from a talk there. The local Trent and Mersey Canal Society meet just 200 yards down the road from Wardle Lock Cottage. The excellent talk tonight , by Tom Kitching, was about Spey ....... a boat that Maureen skippered for some years in the 1940's.

I look forward to chatting to you and your family whilst the lock is filling ........... and buying some home made biscuits!!

And I promise not to hit the top cill or gate when ascending.

Cheers

Phil

Edited by PhilR

Best read this thread

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=44634&st=20&p=826045&hl=dutton&fromsearch=1entry826045

No mooring, not even somewhere to park a car.

Our old house in Bath

Very serious damp problems – needed the floor lifting and a membrane put down along with some tanking of the sides and a damp course. Needed rewiring, also plumbing pretty suspect. Upstairs floors rotten in places.

Our old house in Bath when the previous owner took it on, and no.7 two doors up when it changed hands whilst we were there

Only two bedrooms upstairs, could just about squeeze a small en-suite in to one of them (listed status permitting),

Our old house in Bath

otherwise toilet & shower were off the far side of the kitchen downstairs.

Our old house in Bath

And we didn't even have a canal outside, and the houses went for £200k even in poor condition

Can't help feeling your standards are a tad high Dor :lol:

Congratulations, Wardle Lock has been a regular feature all my life, having spent the first five years of that living in Booth Lane and returning often, getting together with Val whilst in Middlewich in 2007 and taking my boat through the lock often. I always remember peering over the bridge aged about 4 to watch boats go through

Congratulations! Nice to hear you don't mind the clunk of the paddle gear but bear in mind one of this forum members coal boats goes through in the middle of the night :rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing your progress as we pass through.

Steve

Congratulations on your purchase of this lovely cottage. I promise to buy biscuits or other delights that you may sell.

And get on the odd hire boat and turn it round below the lock for them as Maureen once did while we watched. As far as we saw there was this hire boat flying back and forward under perfect steered by some amazing and very old hirer - we being in King's lock. Arriving at Wardle we commented to Maureen who, having checked we had the top towpath paddle up a bit as she liked to start us rising admitted it was her.

(Last time through no Maureen and some woman in a hurry wanting us to slam the top paddles up because 'that woman in the house hasn't got a clue - we know the way to do it properly so get on with it. (Maybe she hadn't heard the Granny in the lock story.))