Wardle Lock cottage

dor

Featured Posts

I am sure that BW WOULD be able to find the money for something like that

Of course.. no probs. In fact the amount of money wasted from bad investments to bollards in all shapes and sizes that none of us needed in 'single locks' a statue could be made from Bronze and coated in GOLD LEAF.

Of course.. no probs. In fact the amount of money wasted from bad investments to bollards in all shapes and sizes that none of us needed in 'single locks' a statue could be made from Bronze and coated in GOLD LEAF.

Well that is what I had in mind, maybe she could nod as the lock filled and emptied, didn't they do that with some horse heads.

Congratulations on your purchase :cheers:

I have a soft spot for Middlewich and have just got home from a talk there. The local Trent and Mersey Canal Society meet just 200 yards down the road from Wardle Lock Cottage. The excellent talk tonight , by Tom Kitching, was about Spey ....... a boat that Maureen skippered for some years in the 1940's.

Sorry i missed that talk, was it open to non members, where can i find out more about future talks.

It did indeed sell. To my husband & I. Having both grown up boating we will not be moaning about the boats or clunk of paddle gear! We intend to restore the property to become our family home, living there with our 2 young daughters and a bouncy dog. We are fully aware of it's current condition and the covenants. We will no doubt see some of you as you pass by our home.

look forward to watching the place return to it's former glory, welcome to the junction.We hope you have many happy years there. It'll always be Maureen's cottage but I'm sure she'll be happy to share it with you (if you see what I mean)

Edited by sueanddaren

look forward to watching the place return to it's former glory, welcome to the junction.We hope you have many happy years there. It'll always be Maureen's cottage but I'm sure she'll be happy to share it with you (if you see what I mean)

If ever Maureen comes back to haunt us, I'm sure it will only be to keep us all safe when passing through her lock.

Once met, never forgotten.

• 4 weeks later...

Two posts in nigh on five years, i would say that's the understatement of the week!

Have I seen your boat at Cropredy? Or, to phrase that more correctly, I have seen a boat called Tam Lin there, would that have been yours?

Sorry for the delay in replying, life has been a bit hectic! Yes probably our boat as we have been to Cropredy several times by boat.

• 2 months later...

Good luck in your new venture :)

Will you be selling home made apple pies as well? Yum

Does anyone remeber the fish bowl she had hanging off her front wall? It was like a bulgy picture/bowl thing with real fish in it. I still want one now. haha

Good luck in your new venture :)

Will you be selling home made apple pies as well? Yum

Does anyone remeber the fish bowl she had hanging off her front wall? It was like a bulgy picture/bowl thing with real fish in it. I still want one now. haha

We went through Wardle lock (which should now be re-named Maureen's Lock!) recently, and I swear she was looking over my shoulder as I operated the paddles!

We went through Wardle lock (which should now be re-named Maureen's Lock!) recently, and I swear she was looking over my shoulder as I operated the paddles!

Knowing Maureen, I'll bet it was her.

She will not rest without first checking the safe passage of everyone that passes through her lock. It was and no doubt still is, in her blood.

Edited by Doorman

It did indeed sell. To my husband & I. Having both grown up boating we will not be moaning about the boats or clunk of paddle gear! We intend to restore the property to become our family home, living there with our 2 young daughters and a bouncy dog. We are fully aware of it's current condition and the covenants. We will no doubt see some of you as you pass by our home.

I hope you'll be around for a natter when we next pass. I have a soft spot for Wardle Lock, being the first lock we ever did on our own. We had hired from Andersen's but they helped us up through the first three.

Steve

We had hired from Andersen's but they helped us up through the first three.

Steve

And commendable that is too!

It's a pity that more hire companies don't afford as much attention to their customers.

• Greenie 1

Now replaced with another following my complaint about copyright infringement! :glare:

You actually complained about copyright infringement ? What - did you want payment for your photo being used in the appeal to raise money to erect a memorial to this lovely lady? Shame on you!

You actually complained about copyright infringement ? What - did you want payment for your photo being used in the appeal to raise money to erect a memorial to this lovely lady? Shame on you!

He hasn't said he wanted paying, has he ?

I will generally let any photo I take be used by anybody for free, but as a minimum I like to be asked, and credited.

That's not vanity, (I'm realisdtic enough to know most of my pictures are little better than "average"), but I think it is common courtesy to ask, and to credit the photographer, (if that's their wish), irrespective of any legalities.

If NBW use someone else's picture without asking, (and crediting, if the photographer would like that), then it doesn't matter what (or who) the subject is, that is wrong in my book. IMO, Dorman is right to complain, or people think the behaviour is acceptable.

First time thru Maureens Lock , she chastised us , not for opening the paddles to quickly , but for being to close to the front gates in our poor little cruiser!

After that we always sat back if coming up & she normally nodded & smiled.

Best moment I remember was Maureen shouting at the owners of a 40-50ft NB in the lock with us coming up(We were at the back) when they cranked the paddles full open without anyone at the helm or roped properly - I ran to the bow as the NB started to move quickly back towards us - To say they were humbled was an understatement!!!

Have to say at the next lock (Stanhorn ?) they had 3 ropes on !

I'm glad to have been on the receiving end of Maureens displeasure & also having had the chance for us both to talk to her lockside.

Nicholsons should mention Maureen alongside Wardle lock in the guide , thus ensuring that she lives on in annals of boating history.

I must be missing something, but I thougth that it was always said that you let the

bow ride the gate.. indeed, that that is how the boaters of old did it? And roping a boat, in a narrow lock? Why?

:rolleyes:

Hi Homer,

If you have read this thread thoroughly, you will have noticed that I've made several endearing comments about Maureen. Indeed, following our first canal adventure on a hire boat, she saved us from being held in her lock due to our ignorance about the perils of leaving rope fenders down whilst negotiating narrow locks. From that point and many other encounters, both myself and Mrs Doorman always thought of her as a friend.

To consider that a friend would seek to gain financially, from what I regard as a commendable effort to raise awareness about

the memorial appeal, is quite honestly unbelievable. Shame on you!

Edited by Doorman

He hasn't said he wanted paying, has he ?

I will generally let any photo I take be used by anybody for free, but as a minimum I like to be asked, and credited.

That's not vanity, (I'm realisdtic enough to know most of my pictures are little better than "average"), but I think it is common courtesy to ask, and to credit the photographer, (if that's their wish), irrespective of any legalities.

If NBW use someone else's picture without asking, (and crediting, if the photographer would like that), then it doesn't matter what (or who) the subject is, that is wrong in my book. IMO, Dorman is right to complain, or people think the behaviour is acceptable.

It is a legal requirement and common courtesy to ask and credit the owner of the copyright. Infringement of copyright is an offence. It is the copyright owners privilege to agree or refuse, whatever we may think of that decision.

Hi Homer,

If you have read this thread thoroughly, you will have noticed that I've made several endearing comments about Maureen. Indeed, following our first canal adventure on a hire boat, she saved us from being held in her lock due to our ignorance about the perils of leaving rope fenders down whilst negotiating narrow locks. From that point and many other encounters, both myself and Mrs Doorman always considered her as a friend.

To consider that a friend would seek to gain financially, from what I consider to be a commendable effort to raise awareness about

We too always considered Maureen a friend.

Knowing Maureen as we did, I am certain she would have agreed re. the use of your photo.

Hi Homer,

If you have read this thread thoroughly, you will have noticed that I've made several endearing comments about Maureen. Indeed, following our first canal adventure on a hire boat, she saved us from being held in her lock due to our ignorance about the perils of leaving rope fenders down whilst negotiating narrow locks. From that point and many other encounters, both myself and Mrs Doorman always thought of her as a friend.

To consider that a friend would seek to gain financially, from what I regard as a commendable effort to raise awareness about

I asked whether your motives were financial, and did not claim that they were. In my opinion, which is just as valid as anyone elses, to even raise the subject of copyright with the people working hard to arrange a fitting memorial is unbeleivable.

I asked whether your motives were financial, and did not claim that they were. In my opinion, which is just as valid as anyone elses, to even raise the subject of copyright with the people working hard to arrange a fitting memorial is unbeleivable.

To be fair, you made an assumption and that's what my reply was all about.

The issue of copyright was raised with the editor of Narrowboatworld, Mr Tom Crossley and was based upon a matter of principle. He promptly replied and apologised for the misunderstanding. At no time was the problem discussed with the organisers of the appeal. A simple request to use the photo would have sufficed and happily been granted.

The irony here, is that contrary to your assumption regarding financial reward, we are actually going to donate towards the fund.

Edited by Doorman

To be fair, you made an assumption and that's what my reply was all about.

The issue of copyright was raised with the editor of Narrowboatworld, Mr Tom Crossly and was based upon a matter of principle. He promptly replied and apologised for the misunderstanding. At no time was the problem discussed with the organisers of the appeal. A simple request to use the photo would have sufficed and happily been granted.

The irony here, is that contrary to your assumption regarding financial reward, we are actually going to donate towards the fund.

'You actually complained about copyright infringement ? What - did you want payment for your photo being used in the appeal to raise money to erect a memorial to this lovely lady? Shame on you!'

Please tell me what assumption is contained in this post

(By the way, from the moment I heard about the excellent suggestion of a memorial, I too have been keen to make a contribution)

'You actually complained about copyright infringement ? What - did you want payment for your photo being used in the appeal to raise money to erect a memorial to this lovely lady? Shame on you!'

Please tell me what assumption is contained in this post

(By the way, from the moment I heard about the excellent suggestion of a memorial, I too have been keen to make a contribution)

Homer, you assumed that in complaining about copyright infringement, I was also seeking financial reward.

That's the way I read it, am I wrong to interpret your question in this way?