"Well Done" to BBC Weather Forecasters ?

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Showed a minimum of minus 3 overnight around here.

I read that as " AT LEAST MINUS 3 COULD BE LESS "

Interesting. I read that as, "Not less than minus 3, i.e. could be higher." :wacko:

To be lower, the minus 3 figure would be stated as the maximum surely?

Better than metcheck is xcweather.com does all I need it to

DLW put the cassette out yesterday I didn't see it when I got home, so we now have a solid cassette, now got to unfreeze it before I can empty it

I deliberately don't put my full cassettes outside in this weather because I worry about them freezing solid and splitting. Is there any chance of that happening or am I worrying too much?

I deliberately don't put my full cassettes outside in this weather because I worry about them freezing solid and splitting. Is there any chance of that happening or am I worrying too much?

They seem fairly flexible,they don't get too brittle when freezing cold like cheap plastic,i think there must be a nylon content.I wouldn't leave it outside though.

Where I am on the Lincolnshire coast it got down to 5°F ( - 14.7°C ) last night. That's the coldest my weather station has ever recorded. It has now ( 11.00am ) just struggled above freezing in the sun......still well below in the shade. It's costing a fortune to heat the greenhouse I use for propagation!

P.S.

Metcheck is always going wrong. Try http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Another one I use is Weather

Seems to cover the whole world.

-12 at 6.00 this morning on the River Cam at Upware, still -7 at 11.45 and the sun has been out a couple of hours. The flowing river is partially frozen here, which is the first time I have seen that in 7 years. It's 12ft deep in the middle, so tends to keep moving and not freeze.

Water pipes in the marina have been frozen for about 3 weeks, so will be looking for an alternative soon as we've used most of our 1000ltrs.

Roger

Dear old Beeb weather forecast.

So on that basis, I didn't rush to do further winterisation on "Chalice".

The actual figure showing here at the moment isminus 10.

Well - not a lot I can do about it now, is there ?

Thank you the BBC.

But it is February Alan! Surely it has not escaped your attention that we get sub-zero temperatures in January and February every year, particuoarly out in the sticks. I winterised Helvetia in November, and will not re-commission her until the end of March at the earliest.

The actual figure showing here at the moment is minus 10.

Thank you the BBC.

Odd that isn't it? And there I was thinking that the Weather was a freelance agent. I never knew that it filled in regular time and motion sheets for the Beeb and other news agencies. ;)

Mine are the black vacuflush cassettes. They're quite thick plastic but at 70 quid a pop I'm not going to risk it!

£70 a poop! That is an expensuve poo. Cheaper to go pump out I would have thought. Lol.

But I agree with the sentiment. Our Dometic holding tanks are a little more than that so I will not risk it. And anyway if they froze overnight, cracked, and then thawed out in the day time you would really be in the bitsada!

I live in a small town and once used the BBC weather site to check on the nearest city to the east, (Portsmouth) and the nearest to the west (Southampton) and both showed the prevailing weather to be snow all day. I checked the 24hr forecast and hour by hour there was no mention of snow in either place. Thhere you go, two different forecasts for the same day on the same site checked minutes apart and mutualy exclusive. The tv weather forecasts so often show a total contradiction between what the man is saying and what the graphics are showing and then the following local farecast contradicts both. In my experience the BBC forecast is worse than useless. As for the radio, "It will be raining in most places but dry in other areas" what the hell does that mean? BBC weather is a bad taste practical joke played on the nation on a daily basis.

Yes, the BBC weather forecasts all come from the Met Office.

As I live on a boat and ride a motorbike, whether it rains or not is quite significant for me and I often find that the forecasts are wrong (i.e. it rains when there was no montion of rain in the forecast). I do realise that there is always an element of uncertainty but I wonder why the BBC don't show a % probability of rain along with the temperature, wind speed, etc. Surely they could get this information from the Met Office?

The Met Office app for i /phone/pod/pad does give rain probabilities as a percentage. Quite a useful little free app to be recommended

The Met Office app for i /phone/pod/pad does give rain probabilities as a percentage. Quite a useful little free app to be recommended

They have also just released the Android version too..and yes it's useful.

£70 a poop! That is an expensuve poo. Cheaper to go pump out I would have thought. Lol.

But I agree with the sentiment. Our Dometic holding tanks are a little more than that so I will not risk it. And anyway if they froze overnight, cracked, and then thawed out in the day time you would really be in the bitsada!

When we had a pump out loo on our boat, I used to throw in half a container of the cheapest anti freeze I could find. It must have worked because we never had a problem.

I bought a spare tank about 6 years ago so I think it's been fairly economical - I just don't want to destroy it and have to buy another one. 70 quid is the same price as 5-7 pump-outs, depending on where you are (that's assuming one can get a boat to a pump-out point in this weather).

I bought a spare tank about 6 years ago so I think it's been fairly economical - I just don't want to destroy it and have to buy another one. 70 quid is the same price as 5-7 pump-outs, depending on where you are (that's assuming one can get a boat to a pump-out point in this weather).

A few people here frozen in with pump outs all waddling about cross legged and have gone out to try and buy a Porta-Pottie,or its a mile long walk to use the bog in the Sanny for them in Stortford.

Interesting. I read that as, "Not less than minus 3, i.e. could be higher." :wacko:

To be lower, the minus 3 figure would be stated as the maximum surely?

Have this same argument with SWMBO

When you get to using minus figure everything reverses.

SWMBO says "we need to turn the fridge up" (to a lower temperature) so in this case up = lower and down would be up (ie a higher temperature)

Her argument is that the control knob numbers go "up" (1, 2, 3, etc) to lower the temperature.

The actual figure showing here at the moment is minus 10.

Thank you the BBC.

Further winterisation?

Ian

Son's girlfriend was coxing on the Wey at 7.30 this morning, and the temperature was minus 11. The water was moving, so there was no ice on the surface, but the rowers' oars kept getting ice forming on ends of them. Personally I think the woman's barmy, even if she was wearing 8 layers of clothes under her life jacket! ! :o

Edited by Leni

Son's girlfriend was coxing on the Wey at 7.30 this morning, and the temperature was minus 11. The water was moving, so there was no ice on the surface, but the rowers' oars kept getting ice forming on ends of them. Personally I think the woman's barmy, even if she was wearing 8 layers of clothes under her life jacket! ! :o

She is - at that temperature she needs an immersion suit. If she scoffs at the idea, she could read this: http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/otopdf/1995/oto95038.pdf

in normal clothing, water temp of 1-3 degrees Centigrade she'll be unconscious in under 5 minutes if she goes in. That's hardly time to fish someone out if they slip off the quay, let alone a sinking mid channel.

Edited by Morat

Strangely enough I've never had one freeze before, normally put them just outside the wheelhouse door which has the mikuni just underneath it, however DLW put it on the rear deck where there is no heat source. Also before I was using blue this one had biowash in it.

All defrosted and empty now and back in the cupboard