Pump Out V cassette

geordie

Featured Posts

I am sure this has been posted before so apologies, the boat syndicate I belong to are considering whether we should change our pump out system (the tank is getting a bit corroded and smelly) or whether we install a Thetford type cassette toilet.

There are strong feelings in both camps and we would really appreciate views on advantages / disadvantages and experiences of other boaters.

Also is anyone aware of companies who can re-line tanks (e.g. resin systems etc.) I know this can be done on larger industrial tanks (even when the tanks are full of holes) but I am not sure if it is feasible in a pump out tank (I would imagine access would be interesting!) also I have no idea (if it can be done) of the cost implications.

:help:

I am sure this has been posted before so apologies, the boat syndicate I belong to are considering whether we should change our pump out system (the tank is getting a bit corroded and smelly) or whether we install a Thetford type cassette toilet.

There are strong feelings in both camps and we would really appreciate views on advantages / disadvantages and experiences of other boaters.

Also is anyone aware of companies who can re-line tanks (e.g. resin systems etc.) I know this can be done on larger industrial tanks (even when the tanks are full of holes) but I am not sure if it is feasible in a pump out tank (I would imagine access would be interesting!) also I have no idea (if it can be done) of the cost implications.

I wil NOT be drawn...........I will NOT be drawn...........I will NOT be drawn...... :rolleyes:

You've opened a can of worms here. Opinions are as disparate on here as they are in your syndicate.

Each have merits and issues.

We use a pump out, mainly because that's what the boat came with.

I don't fancy pouring away, and with 2 children we would probably need to make regular trips

We used to suffer smells but since moving to an enzym based agent and away from blue, all our smells have gone

Had we got the boat with a cassette we would have stuck with that, ignorance of the alternative would have prevailed.

I am happy to pay £15 every couple of months, more regular payments would have me thinking about cassettes I am sure.

So, to sum up, it's what suits you and your lifestyle best

Geordie, welcome to CWF. This subject has indeed been discussed frequently in the past, at great length. Watching the discussions unfold was akin to watching a Yorkshireman trying to persuade a Lancastrian that Yorkshire was better and vice versaa - the level of intransigence was awesome to behold.

We have always had Thetfords in our boats. they are fine as long as you have somewhere to empty them every day or two (depending on your beer intake and outflow). Pump-outs need emptying much less often but you usually have to pay to do so, whereas cassettes may be emptied free of charge at BW sanitary stations.

Edited by Athy

i would say pump out for definite on a syndicate boat (or each user has their own cassette)

maybe it's just me but "our" mess and that of the dogs is enough to carry around without it being mixed :lol:

:wacko: Do the dogs have their own cassette then ? :lol:

i would say pump out for definite on a syndicate boat (or each user has their own cassette)

maybe it's just me but "our" mess and that of the dogs is enough to carry around without it being mixed :lol:

I would agree with this. Copperkins has a pump out, and also carries a Porta-potti, which is normally only used if someone is only out for a week end. Having had to "deep clean" the PortaPotti, (despite not having used it) seemed a nastier job than doing a strip and clean on the Sealand. <_<:mellow:

Iain

While opinion seems pretty evenly divided between pump-out and cassette, there is the alternative of a composting toilet - they seem to be improving (except their looks maybe).

I have used boats with both types - po and cassette - and would probably opt for a simple pump-out with a cassette backup.

John

We used to suffer smells but since moving to an enzym based agent and away from blue, all our smells have gone

Had we got the boat with a cassette we would have stuck with that, ignorance of the alternative would have prevailed.

I don't understand that at all? :unsure: Plenty of people with cassettes have also switched to enzyme-based bio-treatments in recent years. How would having a boat with a cassette prevent you from seeing the alternatives on display in your chandler, or indeed, reading about them on the forum?

Hi geordie and welcome to the forum!

I must admit I thought someone was on a wind up when I saw the title of your thread, until I looked at your joining date :D As you've probably gathered by now this is a subject that deeply divides the forum, and threads go on for pages and pages with members equally intransigent on both sides!

We have a pump out only because the boat we bought had a pump out loo - it wasn't on our wish list when we went boat shopping. Saying that we're very happy with it, and prefer to pay the £15ish every couple of months rather than come face to face with our doings on a regular basis. We do keep a portapotti on the boat for those occasions when we can't pump out, but in over two years living aboard full time and travelling the network extensively we've only ever pee'd in it - the rule is that whoever poos in it empties it!

There's always a lot of talk about stinky pump outs, but we can honestly say we've never found this to be the case. Maybe we've been lucky that we haven't come across these smelly pump out places. We've used the BWML self operated pump outs on quite a few occasions (that was all that was available on the Lancaster Canal), and our nostrils haven't been accosted with noxious fumes.

It really is down to personal preference, there are no rights or wrongs, just what suits you.

Best of luck!

Hi Geordie, you are a brave person to raise this so quickly....

was yours the ex challenger Vulcan that was moored at Welton Haven about 4 years back??? I got to know a few of the members of the syndicate.

Pump out for me, with an emergency portapotti (never used yet). tank stinks occasionally, but only when someone!!! has cleaned the toilet with domestic chemicals and the normal bio systems don't work.

I would say a replacement tank would be best, cassettes do not last long when there are families and large parties aboard.

I am sure this has been posted before so apologies,

Oh, holy crap, no pun intended! :lol:

Hi, welcome. xx

I am a new but vocal recruit to the cassette camp, so don't expect me to be particularly objective...

But at the point where you mention it was starting to smell, didn't that just kind of put you off of whole pump out thing for good!? :D

Edited by Starcoaster

In my own experience I found that having a cassette toilet on board caused more on-board smell than my present pump-out which has no on-board smell. It could be that the cassette was not using the best chemicals - they were blue bottom and pink top liquids. It was the chemicals that caused the smell not the contents of the cassette. Despite this the cassette system has a few advantages over pump-out such as cost and flexibility, but for ease of use I would say the pump out is the better option - as long as it doesn't go wrong. Po with cassette backup is the best option imo.

John

We were having bad smell problems with our pump out until I fitted a second vent at the opposite end of the tank to the main vent. It's only 1 inch diameter but it has introduced a flow of air down the tank so the green stuff can do it's work. I used an 'Essex' boss which only requires a hole in the tank, no welding, and no-smell hose to a skin fitting in the hull.

Richard

Hi Geordie, you are a brave person to raise this so quickly....

was yours the ex challenger Vulcan that was moored at Welton Haven about 4 years back??? I got to know a few of the members of the syndicate.

Pump out for me, with an emergency portapotti (never used yet). tank stinks occasionally, but only when someone!!! has cleaned the toilet with domestic chemicals and the normal bio systems don't work.

I would say a replacement tank would be best, cassettes do not last long when there are families and large parties aboard.

We are the very same syndicate that you refer to although a few of the members have changed we have also moved over to the Shropie (and thoroughly enjoying it)

Thanks to you all for your advice and wisdom and sorry to raise such a contentious issue (albeit I have no doubt it will surface again at some point). After much debate (and I think it is a case of "paying your money and taking a chance" we have decided to change the tank and stick with the pump out option). :cheers:

Edited by geordie