Finding a body in the canal

adam1uk

Featured Posts

Same in England, seems you are asuspect until they have further information.

Fraid so, I was advised many years ago to allow the next person along to report it, unless you want your holiday to stop and possibly attend court for the coroner.

I know a very well respected boat builder who on the first day of his honeymoon urgently instructed his child bride to "Wow look at that in the field just there!" She spent the next few minutes spinning her head to fruitlessly find anything of interest in the field whilst he deftly avoided a bladeful of corpse which on a Large Woolwich with no weed hatch could have taken the edge off the honeymoon somewhat.

Another ex boating mate who lived on his Small Woolwich by the village bridge at Kegworth, came back from a walk to find Police and a group of his drinking buddies leaning over the parapet and staring at the back of his boat. Joining them he saw a couple of officers trying to haul a corpse out from under his counter. Watching the procedure he realised that his erst while mates standing in front of him had assumed it was him. He stood there for several minutes listening to them describe how it was no surprise and considering how much he was known to drink it was surprising it hadn't happened before. He even joined in the conversation adding his own jaundiced views about himself until the penny dropped.

I'm sure most of us remember the story going around about twenty years ago about the boater who got a bladeful, I seem to remember it was on the BCN. Having tried all the tricks to shift it he finally popped the weedhatch and reaching up over and into it he couldn't budge it. So with torch in mouth he crawled under the deck and squeezed his head into the gap and found himself staring into another face. he ended up with concussion from the serious crack on the back of his head when it connected with the steel deck inches above him.

Hi all

This happened to me at Bedford Staircase locks on the Caldon in '86. A bladeful stopeed the engine and prodding with a shaft suggested a mattress. Out of the lock I investigated further and pulled up the back of a head. The police arrived and the boat was taken to the BW dock at the junction, where the poor lad was recovered. It turned out he was a local lad missing after an end of term party. Gail and I were shocked, naturally, but carried on later.

The inquest, 6 months later, delivered an open verdict. In many ways we found it a more distressing event, having to give evidence in front of his parents, family and friends. I don't want another...we got the mattress around Resolute's blades a couple of years ago. fortunately within bow hauling distance of Norton Canes Boatbuilders yard, where a quick crane out solved the problem next morning.

Dave

Not irrational at all, in my profession I have seen many corpses but fortunately none that have been in the water for any length of time.

Having seen bloated and swollen animals in the cut, one can only imagine how awful a human corpse would look if it has been in there for any length of time.

I still don't see any reason for the fear, but perhaps it's not irrational and as Dyad says it's hardwired and comes from the possibility of dead bodies passing on disease. I saw a body pulled out of a river when I lived in Japan and they reckon it had been there covered by weeds for a month. Nobody noticed it and this was in the densely populated suburbs of Tokyo - right outside my balcony. It was bloated but the cold winter temperatures had prevented it from rotting too much.

I've seen dead bodies in India including a few bloated ones that didn't get burned properly and ended up bloated in the Ganges. They have a different perspective, so part of our repulsion is probably cultural. We even had one float past the marina when I was moored at Brentford. Some moorers were freaked out.

Edited by blackrose

Lots of people seem to have a dread of seeing a body in the water. Isn't this an irrational fear?

Death is a part of life - even accidental deaths and suicides. Does a dead human body really need to be packed in a box before it's acceptable to us?

I can understand feeling sad, but can't get my head around the fear. Too many horror movies perhaps?

I think it goes back to the old films and TV programmes where the police recover a body from the water and its so bad the young cop is throwing up everywhere.

I still don't see any reason for the fear, but perhaps it's not irrational and as Dyad says it's hardwired and comes from the possibility of dead bodies passing on disease. I saw a body pulled out of a river when I lived in Japan and they reckon it had been there covered by weeds for a month. Nobody noticed it and this was in the densely populated suburbs of Tokyo - right outside my balcony. It was bloated but the cold winter temperatures had prevented it from rotting too much.

I've seen dead bodies in India including a few bloated ones that didn't get burned properly and ended up bloated in the Ganges. They have a different perspective, so part of our repulsion is probably cultural. We even had one float past the marina when I was moored at Brentford. Some moorers were freaked out.

It's easy to understand why people freek out when they are moored in a marina they are expecting to see other boats come by, and no dead bodies, which are (I hope) far from a daily happening at Brentford, and not really easy in our part of the world to get used to.

Peter.

A few years ago I spotted a body in the canal next to my boat near where we had moored up Banbury and had to call the police out - it turned out to be a man from a boat moored up round the corner from us who could not swim and had been at the local pub the night beforehand.

Luckily I never had nightmares about it, but every time I see anything in the canal since that time, I always get fearful of what I am going to find, especially if there is a boot or shoe floating, thinking that there might be something attached to that shoe or boot.

Finding a body in the canal stays with you for a very long time I can tell you.

A few years ago I spotted a body in the canal next to my boat near where we had moored up Banbury and had to call the police out - it turned out to be a man from a boat moored up round the corner from us who could not swim and had been at the local pub the night beforehand.

Luckily I never had nightmares about it, but every time I see anything in the canal since that time, I always get fearful of what I am going to find, especially if there is a boot or shoe floating, thinking that there might be something attached to that shoe or boot.

Finding a body in the canal stays with you for a very long time I can tell you.

He owned a boat, and couldn't swim?

Nothing to add.

My irational fear is more like putting my hand down into the weed hatch and it being grabbed by another hand!

My engine stalled in Kings Lock, Middlewich a couple of years ago. I thrust my hand down the weed-hatch only to find the tail of a large dog wrapped around the shaft. I managed to free the tail and push the body down, then fished it out of the cut when it emerged behind me. Upset me all day.

Yes it is ironic. The booze and the cold shock probably didn't help as well. I think I knew that guy, James/Jim was it?

Indeed - having once fallen in myself I was quite surprised at how cold it was and how bloody hard it was to drag myself out of the water. Luckily somebody saw me fall in and was able to shout across the marina to another boater to come to my aid. It is also pretty challenging to swim even the short distance back to my boat fully clothed and with pretty stout 'Cat' boots on.

As it happens I was able to get myself out with minimal assistance due the design of our boats stern - if I'd gone in un-witnessed, in the dark with a few beers inside me, I doubt it very much.

I once had something round my prop which stalled the engine. We drifted into the bank and I got the hatch off.

Putting my hand down the weed hatch hole, I felt what seemed like putrifying flesh around the prop, in the dark, cold water. My fingers just went through it.

Retrieving the "object", it transpired to be a waterlogged fleece.

Try picking up a sodden fleece from a bowl of cold water in a dark room to experience the sensation !!

My irational fear is more like putting my hand down into the weed hatch and it being grabbed by another hand!

Try picking up a sodden fleece from a bowl of cold water in a dark room to experience the sensation !!

I once fished out a fleece that was still attached to a wriggling sheep with a damaged leg.

It was possibly the most awkward, uncomfortable load I have ever slung across my shoulders to cart down the towpath, to the nearest farm.

What a crass comment.

I'd like to see you swimming late at night fully clothed.

What, you own a boat and you can't swim in full winter clothing?

I don't think Sebrof's comment was that crass,because if you can swim you would have much more confidence in the water and probably not panic even if fully clothed and freezing,and probably have the presence of mind to kick shoes off and shed a heavy coat or whatever and therefore save yourself. But a non swimmer is almost certainly going to panic and so be rendered helpless.This is a fact as i used to teach sailing in my spare time,summer and winter and have had to rescue by guard boat people after capsize who said they could swim and couldn't and were wearing life jackets ect but were in a totally helpless state of panic.

What a crass comment.

I'd like to see you swimming late at night fully clothed.

What, you own a boat and you can't swim in full winter clothing?

I live for the day when I will read an intelligent comment signed "Chris Pink".

The post I responded to stated that the victim "could not swim". In other words, he was a non-swimmer. This is what I found surprising.

I think I mentioned on here at the time that I fell into the Thames last February wearing "full winter clothing". The fact that you are reading this now should tell you that I survived. And I did so by swimming. In full winter clothing. To the bank, where I was able to haul myself out.

This was my second effort. Another time I capsized a kayak at Marlow on New Year's Day wearing "full winter clothing". It was well below freezing at the time. I managed to swim to the bank and haul myself out on that occasion too.

Another time I attempted, wearing a lot of clothes as a sort of makeshift wet-suit (it didn't work), to swim down and free the prop of a sailing boat at Easter in Grandcamps in Normandy. It was very cold, and afterwards I suffered mild hypothermia, but somehow I survived. Amazing, isn't it?

Now run along, laddie, and stop being tedious.

The post I responded to stated that the victim "could not swim". In other words, he was a non-swimmer. This is what I found surprising.

I think I mentioned on here at the time that I fell into the Thames last February wearing "full winter clothing". The fact that you are reading this now should tell you that I survived. And I did so by swimming. In full winter clothing. To the bank, where I was able to haul myself out.

This was my second effort. Another time I capsized a kayak at Marlow on New Year's Day wearing "full winter clothing". It was well below freezing at the time. I managed to swim to the bank and haul myself out on that occasion too.

Another time I attempted, wearing a lot of clothes as a sort of makeshift wet-suit (it didn't work), to swim down and free the prop of a sailing boat at Easter in Grandcamps in Normandy. It was very cold, and afterwards I suffered mild hypothermia, but somehow I survived. Amazing, isn't it?

I'm curious as to why you found it surprising?

Tim

When I was at school one of the tests for the sailing club was to swim fully clothed for 25 yards. The water wasn't freezing but it was hard work.

As it happens I was able to get myself out with minimal assistance due the design of our boats stern - if I'd gone in un-witnessed, in the dark with a few beers inside me, I doubt it very much.

This is it, last time I fell in no one saw or heard me, if I knocked myself out on the way down I would have drowned.

If I ever see a body in the water, I will inform the police by calling from a public phone, without telling them who I am, and thereby making sure not to leave fingerprints on the phone.

Would the police recognise your dabs?

I think it goes back to the old films and TV programmes where the police recover a body from the water and its so bad the young cop is throwing up everywhere.

Many years ago, whilst working for BR we had a platform jumper. By the time the train had stopped it was on an embankment. We called out BTP who turned up in the form of a sarge and a new recruit. The sarge was describing in detail the process of extracting the corpse. The recruit fainted and tumbled down the enbankment. When the recruit made his way back - the sarge gave him a good roasting and gave us a wink.

All in a days work for some - evening all!

I'm curious as to why you found it surprising?

Tim

I suppose it's because I fall into the trap of supposing that other people are rational. I'm rather naive at times.

If you are going to put yourself at risk of drowning, then it's not a bad idea to be able to swim. I'd have died several times if I hadn't known how to swim. And if I hadn't known how to swim, there are a lot of interesting things I might never have done (or never have survived having done).

It's possible that being able to swim might not have saved this unfortunate person on this occasion, but it has saved the lives of many others on many other occasions.

Bizzard makes the point that people who can swim are less liable to panic, and that can make all the difference.

So, if anybody reading this can't swim, learn!

Thank yourself lucky you don't have to navigate these waters.

http://www.chinasmack.com/2010/pictures/filthy-india-photos-chinese-netizen-reactions.html

Not for the sqeemish.

Two men gazed from prison bars.

One saw mud, the other stars.

Why this nitwit has to focus on the squalor is beyond me. Perhaps he knows it will appeal to his audience and their prejudices.

India is grubby to be sure. But, as even this chap admits, there is much else to see there.

Would the police recognise your dabs?

If you promess to keep this secret between the 2 (3) of us, they are all looking for me :lol:

Still it's a good thing we are not living in the U.S. where they occasionally give people that can't prove they are not quilty the dead-penalty, and a few months, years or decennies later it works out they where innocent, while in our countries you may spend years in prison, until by chance, they fetch the real criminal.

A very good movie about a situation like that is :"The green mile".

I try to avoid contact with them as much as I can, and try to behave like a good citizen.

Peter.

edited, for posting twice

Edited by bargemast